Two Witcher 3 Expansions Announced By CD Projekt Red

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Two Witcher 3 Expansions Announced By CD Projekt Red

Pair of add-ons promise more than thirty hours of content.

With The Witcher 3: Wild Hunts due to release next month, CD Project Red has announced plans for two paid DLC expansions to the epic fantasy role-playing game, "Hearts of Stone" and "Blood and Wine". The content, which will be available for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One (all the platforms Witcher 3 is releasing on), can be purchased with an Expansion Pass priced at $24.99.

Hearts of Stone sends Geralt into No Man's Land and the new city of Oxenfort to fulfill a contract with the Man of Glass. Scheduled to release in October, the content is expected to take at least ten hours of play to complete, and that's the smaller of the two expansions.

Blood and Wine will feature an entirely new region, Toussaint, teased as a peaceful land harboring a dark secret. CD Projekt Red claims this expansion will take at least twenty hours to fully explore and plans to release it in the first quarter 2016.

The Expansion Pass for The Witcher 3 can be pre-ordered now on Steam [http://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_expansion_pass] (and should be available soon on Origin, PlayStation Store, and Xbox Marketplace). But CD Projekt Red co-founder Marcin Iwiński urges patience in the official announcement, stating, "don't buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first."

Source: Official Site [http://thewitcher.com/news/view/991]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I wish more developers would be so meekly humble, whilst somehow projecting their confidence in their work, at the same time. I like them already. Can we keep them please?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I can dig it. If these are full on expansions(can't really remember any recent dlc that could last even 10 hours: Freedom Cry itself only goes up to about 8 or so) then I'm onboard so long as they're reasonably priced and provided that the game's ending isn't a total pisser: it's what keeps me from Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition whereas I'd gladly replay Origins just so I'd play through Awakening.

I'm rambling. If it wasn't already obvious by my avatar, this I can see myself approving.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That sounds reasonable. Unlike Ubisoft's overpriced "60 more minutes of gameplay" DLC's that actually take 10 minutes to complete. Freedom Cry being the exception, though equally dull.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
The game isn't even out yet and it's already torturing me with the idea of having to wait for awesome expansions.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I suppose it says a lot for the goodwill that CDProjekt have earned that they're not being crucified - like I imagine most companies would for announcing DLC before release - but in some places actually lauded for announcing this.

Apr 5, 2008
I don't know whether to be glad or sad about this news. Glad because it means more Witcher 3. Sad because it's half a year away from October. It also begs the question of whether to play the game on release day and pick it up again in Autumn, or wait until it's all there for one large, seamless experience.

I'm hoping the PC version is moddable which, like Skyrim, will add more life and playtime to it. Very much looking forward to this game, even though it does mean the end of Geralt's video game appearances.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
16 free DLC and two paid (half-price?)..expansions? real expansions, like in the olden days? Sounds Sweet!
My only question is if they've "fixed" the OTS camera yet? (combat was another thing but it says it's revamped so..)
If they haven't its not on my list. Mmmaybe to encourage such behaviour..maybe.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Neat. I haven't played any of the Witcher games yet although I own the first two on GOG, planning on playing them after I get a new PC next year. Hopefully all the DLC will be out for the third one by the time I get round to playing it. I do prefer to play games when they are complete and all the DLC or all the episodes if it's something like The Walking Dead is out. Same with television actually, I prefer watching it on DVD than week to week on television.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
TAKE MY MONEY CDP!!!

Seriously though, I'm so friggin' excited for this game and I'm happy they're delivering full-on expansions instead of bit sized DLC packs.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll return to keep throwing money at my screen.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Bit sceptical tbh. While I LOVE CDP, and their fantastic witcher series....I kinda hoped they would stay out of the whole....mega capitalization park. While they at least arent selling new haircuts for Geralt for 5$ a pop...one of the best things about their games have been that they have been WHOLE. At least after a while when they've been patched up a bit... >.>

A real expansion is a continuation. A DLC is just...fluff. If you want to make the world bigger, make it bigger at release. If you want to tell more story....do so later. But it better move things forward instead of sideways :\

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
tzimize said:
Bit sceptical tbh. While I LOVE CDP, and their fantastic witcher series....I kinda hoped they would stay out of the whole....mega capitalization park. While they at least arent selling new haircuts for Geralt for 5$ a pop...one of the best things about their games have been that they have been WHOLE. At least after a while when they've been patched up a bit... >.>

A real expansion is a continuation. A DLC is just...fluff. If you want to make the world bigger, make it bigger at release. If you want to tell more story....do so later. But it better move things forward instead of sideways :\
Dragon Age Awakening comes to mind. That didn't really go anywhere aside from maybe investigating the Darkspawn somewhat.

Other than that though, events are largely unconnected to the rest of the games' lore. Besides, it's the end of Geralt's tale in video games, so there's literally no other way in which to move :X

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
Absolutely no other company in this industry can say "don't buy it if you arn't sure", they're in such a unique position, i wish it was the same for all developers.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
I don't mind rewarding devs with pre-orders ... but I'd like to see if their previous game was any good before I do it.

So yeah, I'll wait ... hope they don't pull some hard sell techniques on the season pass (ie. jack the price after release of Witcher 3) cause in that case I'll be forced to wait till the expansions hit the bargain bin.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
CDPR bringing proper expansions back yaay!

I read the description of Blood and Wine and since I am currently reading the last fan translated book and seeing the expansion take place in Toussaint it made me very happy.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
While I never like season pass type things, the fact that they're doing REAL expansions for what is actually a fairly reasonable (cheap, honestly) makes me not as annoyed. If the main game is great, I'll probably pick up the expansion pass.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
tzimize said:
Why can't an expansion be sideways? Why can't the main story be an awesome self contained entity? I personally prefer expansions to be sideways. That way, I don't feel like I'm having my story cut short. Besides, a lot of the story lines seem to be coming to a conclusion for this game. I wouldn't want them to leave things inconclusively just so they have room to keep telling the story through DLC.
Andy Shandy said:
I suppose it says a lot for the goodwill that CDProjekt have earned that they're not being crucified - like I imagine most companies would for announcing DLC before release - but in some places actually lauded for announcing this.
Probably helps too that they're announcing it during what is typically the bug fixing time of development. Seeing as that's just one portion of the development team, it kind of makes sense that they'd have all of the other people start working on other stuff. Besides, it's not like it's day 1 DLC. The first is roughly 5 months away from release, and the second is even farther. I'll admit that as soon as I read the title my gut reaction was "oh not you too", but if what they're saying is to be believed (and I won't truly believe it until I actually see it), I personally don't think it's all that bad. Comparatively anyway...

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Not really loving how CDprojekt get a drool bath for things that would get anyone else crucified. Its almost like consumer outrage is highly selective and based on what the vocal minority likes/dislikes.

OT: Not touching the season pass, I'll buy the DLCs once they come out and I can discover if "ten hours" means ten hours of new worthwhile content, ten hours of grueling repetitive slog(coughLairoftheshadowbrokercough), or three hours of meaningful content and seven hours of digging around for collectible baubles no one give a shit about.

Also got a kick out of the very first screenshot you see being a brothel full of mostly naked women. Good to see Witcher is as "deep" and "mature" as ever. I think the real big question here is: will the DLC include new sex cards?

Briantb

Feb 6, 2014
Knight Captain Kerr said:
Neat. I haven't played any of the Witcher games yet although I own the first two on GOG, planning on playing them after I get a new PC next year. Hopefully all the DLC will be out for the third one by the time I get round to playing it. I do prefer to play games when they are complete and all the DLC or all the episodes if it's something like The Walking Dead is out. Same with television actually, I prefer watching it on DVD than week to week on television.
You may want to read the books before playing the games. The books prequal the games and are rather good. Its unfortunate that the last two are still not official translated but overall there's a lot of back story in the books you will otherwise miss or not fully grasp by just playing the games.