Mortal Kombat X Review - Your Very Own Kung Fu Flick

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Mortal Kombat X Review - Your Very Own Kung Fu Flick

Mortal Kombat has long been known for its gory combat and gruesome Fatalities, but MXK cranks the storytelling up to 11.

Read Full Article

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Great to hear it lives up to the hype. With such a large roster of characters and with each getting three different fighting styles, I'm hoping this game last me for a while. I just bought the deluxe edition on PSN and have it downloading now, can't way to play it tomorrow.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
I have heard that the game itself it pretty freaking great, but it sounds like Netherrealm have messed up the Network something terrible.
I'm hearing people say that MK9s connections were better...
...That is not a good thing X_X

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
From what I've seen of the fatalities, they've become so hyper-realistic that they seem to have looped back around into cartoonism again.

When you see a virtual character's face literally sliced off, and it just sort of slides downward like a chunk of bad ham to reveal a ridiculously-detailed rendition of what's underneath, you just can't really take it seriously.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Diablo1099 said:
I have heard that the game itself it pretty freaking great, but it sounds like Netherrealm have messed up the Network something terrible.
Eh, I'd give it a week or two for MP servers. Doesn't seem like anyone can get them going properly nowadays at launch.

I'll probably pick it up. I'm always a little on the fence with fighters, but the SP sounds fun enough (though my skills may not be conducive to finishing the final bits). I like to have one around for social purposes anyways.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
The Rogue Wolf said:
From what I've seen of the fatalities, they've become so hyper-realistic that they seem to have looped back around into cartoonism again.

When you see a virtual character's face literally sliced off, and it just sort of slides downward like a chunk of bad ham to reveal a ridiculously-detailed rendition of what's underneath, you just can't really take it seriously.
I think they pretty much knew that when one of the fatalities is a Shining reference

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
"The story mode in MKX is like nothing I've ever seen before, essentially offering up an extended cut-scene-based cinematic experience interspersed with the player taking control for periodic fight scenes."

It's weird how you say the story mode is like nothing you've ever seen before (unless you never played the previous game or Injustice I guess), when the previous MK game did the same thing, or am I missing something? Seems to me like it's more of a return to what the previous game did, but perhaps better I would assume by this statement.

Also, I hope the final boss isn't complete bullshit like it was in the previous game.

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
chozo_hybrid said:
"The story mode in MKX is like nothing I've ever seen before, essentially offering up an extended cut-scene-based cinematic experience interspersed with the player taking control for periodic fight scenes."

It's weird how you say the story mode is like nothing you've ever seen before (unless you never played the previous game or Injustice I guess), when the previous MK game did the same thing, or am I missing something? Seems to me like it's more of a return to what the previous game did, but perhaps better I would assume by this statement.

Also, I hope the final boss isn't complete bullshit like it was in the previous game.
Maybe it's similar to MK9, but done better?

And I agree, Shao Kahn was complete bull. I actually had to walk away from the game for months because it was so frustrating.

Picked it up again a few months ago and finally beat it. But never again.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
I have a lot of trouble believing that being the general case across the board. Injustice itself was an improvement over MK9 as far as netcode goes. I just can't see it possible that somehow the netcode got worse.

Even so, I've heard some wildly different stories about the netcode ranging from good to horrible (In bad cases happening because of people getting matched up with players overseas, whereas more local matchups working far better) And that shouldn't be a surprise because these reports have been cropping up for days before the majority of the world even has access to the game. It makes me skeptical about how reflective this will be in a few days.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i still wait until its fixed. keep reading on steam forum that the game always crashes as soon as they want to play. they call it even a "main menu simulator". so much for being a good port as promised by the devs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cApRYXF8bzc#t=1273

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
The Rogue Wolf said:

\

That's half the fun of Fatalities. If it's not hilariously over the top isn't not even worth using.
Nobody ever used Stryker's "pull out a gun and shoot them" Fatality in MK...9? Think it was 9.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Metalrocks said:
i still wait until its fixed. keep reading on steam forum that the game always crashes as soon as they want to play. they call it even a "main menu simulator". so much for being a good port as promised by the devs.
To be honest... Probably isn't Netherrealm's fault. It's Valve that didn't got their shit together with the Stream download.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:

Or how it was nothing innovative when MK did it. Seriously, it seems to me like all they did was rip off the vastly superior story mode of Blazblue. Then again we also have some people acting like the alternate versions of the roster is something new...when in fact we've been doing that since Street Fighter Alpha and King of Fighter 98.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Diablo2000 said:
Metalrocks said:
To be honest... Probably isn't Netherrealm's fault. It's Valve that didn't got their shit together with the Stream download.
others think so too. im curious if the retail version is like that as well. since the game isnt really small on size, and my connection isnt really fast, i go for the disc version.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Metalrocks said:
Diablo2000 said:
Metalrocks said:
others think so too. im curious if the retail version is like that as well. since the game isnt really small on size, and my connection isnt really fast, i go for the disc version.
From what I heard the retail version downright refuse to install until a certain hour where the game would be officially released.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Mortis Nuncius said:
chozo_hybrid said:

Maybe it's similar to MK9, but done better?

And I agree, Shao Kahn was complete bull. I actually had to walk away from the game for months because it was so frustrating.

Picked it up again a few months ago and finally beat it. But never again.
Shao Kahn was bullshit.. until the point where you realised how the AI operates and figured out that you can just jump over and behind him when he starts an attack and then just perform whatever combo you're most comfortable with. Or even just uppercut him to death.

So servers are shit again, eh? I'd take that statement with a grain of salt, considering, as someone said above, no one can get them right on launch nowadays, but after MK9, I'm not touching this game until I hear they're working properly - they never got them working and I don't want to buy a fighting game just to play against the AI, especially considering there's no tag teams, so there's not much other than 1vs1-ing them.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Aiddon said:
chozo_hybrid said:

Or how it was nothing innovative when MK did it. Seriously, it seems to me like all they did was rip off the vastly superior story mode of Blazblue. Then again we also have some people acting like the alternate versions of the roster is something new...when in fact we've been doing that since Street Fighter Alpha and King of Fighter 98.
Wasn't Blazblue's story mode basically just sprites with their lips moving, dialoguing back and forth? I'm not sure if that's really comparable to 2+ hours of fully rendered cutscenes.

And Street Fighter Alpha? The only 'variations' I remember from that game were choosing between auto and manual guard.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Diablo2000 said:
Metalrocks said:
Diablo2000 said:
Metalrocks said:
From what I heard the retail version downright refuse to install until a certain hour where the game would be officially released.
didnt know that. havent bought it yet so i guess by the time i buy it, it should be activated and no hassle to install it.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
PapaGreg096 said:
The Rogue Wolf said:

I think they pretty much knew that when one of the fatalities is a Shining reference
Or a selfie fatality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVTv1pR0Vzg