Aaron Williams

Mar 22, 2011
The Shifting Paradigms in Deus Ex: Human Revolution

The Shifting Paradigms of Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Read Full Article

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
See there's a joke in there that could be funny! It's not, but there's something there. I remember noticing the same thing when I played DEHR.

I certainly didn't look as bored as the main character though.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
If this had been simpler, I might have smiled.

But nooo, you had to put paradigms. I don't even know what a paradigm is! (or how to pronounce it)

I just googled it, and I still don't know what paradigms are. I guess this is just too smart for a simple man like me.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
That actually bugged me a lot in Deus Ex 1 after I got it on GOG.com too.
I'd pass it off as DC's hacking skills, but the UI on the OS has it labelled exactly the same as in the comic.
Is it some kind of external varible that you can edit in the turret program or something?

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Diablo1099 said:
I'd pass it off as DC's hacking skills, but the UI on the OS has it labelled exactly the same as in the comic.
Is it some kind of external varible that you can edit in the turret program or something?
I always thought that by hacking it Jensen essentially logs in under his own username, so when he sets it to "Enemies" it sets it to enemies of Jensen_Adam

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
DrownedAmmet said:
Diablo1099 said:
I always thought that by hacking it Jensen essentially logs in under his own username, so when he sets it to "Enemies" it sets it to enemies of Jensen_Adam
But what does it use to decide who is an enemy or not? Unless he manually keyed in each target (of whom he often knows little about outside of the fact they are in his way/etc), I don't see what would limit the program to just his enemies and not everything in the room who isn't him

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
DrownedAmmet said:
Diablo1099 said:
But what does it use to decide who is an enemy or not? Unless he manually keyed in each target (of whom he often knows little about outside of the fact they are in his way/etc), I don't see what would limit the program to just his enemies and not everything in the room who isn't him
Clearly, it checks facebook for people and companies you don't like.

And then, it checks the profile of the person it's targeting. Don't like Cryo-Corp? Well, that target's gonna murder everyone it sees with their status as "Hired by CryoCorp! First day today! I'm pumped!" or "One day from retirement. #FuckCryoCorp"

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Diablo1099 said:
DrownedAmmet said:
Diablo1099 said:
I assumed that all the guards and stuff were already in the program, marked as "Friends" to the turret so that it knows not to shoot them but to shoot anyone not marked as "Friend." Then Jensen just has to switch it to enemies and him to friend.
Tho I'm probably overthinking it

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
This bugged me a bit when I first played the original Deus Ex. I set the first turret on Liberty Island (near the bot) to Allies after hacking it and then died horribly when I went near it to enter the statue. I guess that the hacking program switches between the definitions of enemies and allies on the security software.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
DrownedAmmet said:
Diablo1099 said:
DrownedAmmet said:
Diablo1099 said:
I assumed that all the guards and stuff were already in the program, marked as "Friends" to the turret so that it knows not to shoot them but to shoot anyone not marked as "Friend." Then Jensen just has to switch it to enemies and him to friend.
I would think that the guards are carrying some kind of marker. Probably a part of their communication devices, which would send out a signal with a signature to the turrets and computers.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Dec 12, 2009
Disclaimer: sorry for dragging this into an actual debate, but I'm in a computer science course which has some programming in it and, frankly, this is more interesting then making SQL procedures in order govern how many shares someone can buy at one time ^^;
BeerTent said:

And then, it checks the profile of the person it's targeting. Don't like Cryo-Corp? Well, that target's gonna murder everyone it sees with their status as "Hired by CryoCorp! First day today! I'm pumped!" or "One day from retirement. #FuckCryoCorp"
Hey, I remember you from that RP we did once :D

Well, there's a simple way around that: Don't have a social media account.
And considering that they are making super soldiers from scratch, depriving them of Facebook would be a minor concern.
DrownedAmmet said:
Hmmm...I could actually see that being sold as a feature to the CEOs, considering the state of the world in Deus Ex.
"And with his option, you can kill everyone who works for you. You know...In case you want that..."
Neonsilver said:
I would think that the guards are carrying some kind of marker. Probably a part of their communication devices, which would send out a signal with a signature to the turrets and computers.
Yeah, that sounds like the best option from a programming perceptive: Shoot everyone that doesn't have a badge.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Diablo1099 said:
Yeah, that sounds like the best option from a programming perceptive: Shoot everyone that doesn't have a badge.
Well, the "shoot anyone unautorized who asks for access" is proper IT security procedure. :p

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Doom972 said:
This bugged me a bit when I first played the original Deus Ex. I set the first turret on Liberty Island (near the bot) to Allies after hacking it and then died horribly when I went near it to enter the statue. I guess that the hacking program switches between the definitions of enemies and allies on the security software.

Glad to know I wasn't the only oneswho who did this.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Huh, pretty much everyone is discussing the topic of the comic instead of the comic itself. Progress is being made.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Improvements have been made, the panels aren't so cluttered with gigantic text bubbles but they're still a bit too big. You guys are good artists, and you're using a visual medium, let us have something fun to look at.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I thought this was pretty funny. The back and forth between Jensen and the merc made me giggle.
Bob_McMillan said:
If this had been simpler, I might have smiled.

But nooo, you had to put paradigms. I don't even know what a paradigm is! (or how to pronounce it)

I just googled it, and I still don't know what paradigms are. I guess this is just too smart for a simple man like me.
I call it a "Dilbert" word, as in a word that Dilbert's Pointy Haired Boss would use to sound smarter than he is. Or one of the bozos in Marketing.
BeerTent said:
Diablo1099 said:
DrownedAmmet said:
Diablo1099 said:

They call that "retirony".
But me, I never hacked the security bots to shoot my enemies. I spent my Praxis Points on Adam's "powers", more inventory space, and l33t haxor skillz. I just let the bots out so I could blow them up for few hundred XP. I don't know how many XP I'd get for a death-by-security-bot, because I tried for mostly nonlethal takedowns.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Perhaps on the terminal you hack, there is a camera that takes your photo and uploads it to the turret. It then uses facial recognition to target everyone that doesn't look like you.