Witcher 3 Digital Copies Will Unlock Early - Update

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013

Gamers who buy The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt digitally on PS4 and Xbox One will gain access to the game a few hours earlier than everyone else.

Update: Responding to reports of potential early access for digital purchasers, CD Projekt RED has clarified that all digital copies of The Witcher 3, including the PC version, will unlock at 1AM CET on May 19th. This translates roughly into 4PM PST or 7PM PST on May 18th.

Original Story: The wait for the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20witcher%203%20wild%20hunt?os=the+witcher+3+wild+hunt>The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt is almost over. That's right folks, after several painful delays CD Projekt RED confirmed yesterday that the game <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140483-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Goes-Gold-From-CD-Projekt-RED>has finally gone gold, making its release date pretty much a sure thing. That being the case, if you're a fan of the franchise and the prospect of waiting until May 19th is just too much to bear, then you might be interested in a recently revealed way to play the game a little bit earlier.

According to reports, gamers who buy digital copies of The Wild Hunt on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will have their copies unlocked at 4PM PDT (7PM EST) on Monday, May 18th. This, of course, will give gamers on those platforms access to the game several hours before it releases to retailers as a physical title. Making matters even better, CD Projekt RED is offering a 10 percent discount to anyone who pre-orders the game digitally. In other words, you'll get to play the game early and do it for less.

What's unclear at the moment is whether or not this early digital launch time extends to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139342-The-Witcher-3s-Recommended-Specs-Revealed>the PC game or of it's just for the PS4 and Xbox One. We've sent a query to CD Projekt RED to see if we can find out more. In the mean time, let us know how you plan to play The Witcher 3. Is the promise of extra time enticing or would you rather have <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139304-The-Witcher-3s-Steelbook-Cases-to-Feature-Gorgeous-Commissioned-Art>a physical copy and all the goodies that come with it?

Source: GameSpot

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Um hasn't this always been the case? I've seen the pre-order, discount, and early access stuff for months on my PS4.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
I don't think they are giving PC early access.

On Steam you get 10% discount for pre-order, and extra 5% discount if you own W1 and W2 already.

I think they are balancing that extra 5% discount against the early access. Because you can't get that discount on XBone and PS4.

15% discount vs 10% discount & a few hours early access.

I have had it pre-ordered on steam since November and the steam deal has been available since then at least.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Angelous Wang said:
I don't think they are giving PC early access.

On Steam you get 10% discount for pre-order, and extra 5% discount if you own W1 and W2 already.

I think they are balancing that extra 5% discount against the early access. Because you can't get that discount on XBone and PS4.

15% discount vs 10% discount & a few hours early access.

I have had it pre-ordered on steam since November and the steam deal has been available since then at least.
It's actually 20% discount in total if you own both W1 & W2 (5% for each owned game) on the same platform (Steam or GOG).

Chinchama

Mar 1, 2009
StewShearer said:
According to reports, gamers who buy digital copies of The Wild Hunt on the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will have their copies unlocked at 4PM PDT (7PM EST) on Friday May 18th.
You mean Monday, right?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
So? Not a big issue for me. I live in the UK so games on Steam don't unlock until 6pm on launch day anyway.

Apr 28, 2008
Small error there, the 18th of May is actually Monday, not Friday.

Anyway as for me I'm getting the collector's edition so whatev :D

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
The people that run a digital distribution service encouraging digital distribution? Why would they do this? Its shocking and completely out of the blue.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Chris Priestly, CD Projekt's community manager for NA, states:

I've seen a few articles posting about how there are different times for the unlock of the digital game and how some people will be playing it on the 18th, not the 19th and so forth. So, just to clarify:

All digital copies on all platforms, PCs, Playstation 4 & Xbox One, get access at 1AM CET, May 19th.

So, depending on which time zone you live in, your game may unlock on the 18th or the 19th. This doesn't mean that anyone gets it earlier as everywhere unlocks at the same time, but depending on where you live, it may seem like it is earlier. Basically, we want the unlock time to be fair to everyone and staging unlocks at the same time in different time zones was felt to be unfair. This way, everyone gets it at the same time.

To determine what your time zone is in relation to CET do a Google Search or use this handy website.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
NickBrahz said:
Chris Priestly, CD Projekt's community manager for NA, states:

I've seen a few articles posting about how there are different times for the unlock of the digital game and how some people will be playing it on the 18th, not the 19th and so forth. So, just to clarify:

All digital copies on all platforms, PCs, Playstation 4 & Xbox One, get access at 1AM CET, May 19th.

So, depending on which time zone you live in, your game may unlock on the 18th or the 19th. This doesn't mean that anyone gets it earlier as everywhere unlocks at the same time, but depending on where you live, it may seem like it is earlier. Basically, we want the unlock time to be fair to everyone and staging unlocks at the same time in different time zones was felt to be unfair. This way, everyone gets it at the same time.

To determine what your time zone is in relation to CET do a Google Search or use this handy website.
Thank for the update! I'll add this to the story.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
StewShearer said:

Gamers who buy The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt digitally on PS4 and Xbox One will gain access to the game a few hours earlier than everyone else.

Update: Responding to reports of potential early access for digital purchasers, CD Projekt RED has clarified that all digital copies of The Witcher 3, including the PC version, will unlock at 1AM CET on May 19th. This translates roughly into 4PM PST or 7PM PST on May 18th.
Hey, quick correction. You have 4PM PST or 7PM PST. I'm pretty sure you mean 7PM EST.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Well, why can't we download it and play it NOW if it's already gone gold? It doesn't make sense...

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
Well, why can't we download it and play it NOW if it's already gone gold? It doesn't make sense...
Hype mate, gotta build that hype.
Also so I can do a second playthrough on W2

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
I'm not going to play it until the first or second patch any way.

I'm still not playing PoE which is already at second patch.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
albino boo said:
CD Projekt RED hates DRM so much its gives you early access if you buy Witcher 3 with DRM.
Yeah, yeah and job is technically a payed temporary slavery.
So what?

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
Thing is this was always nothing but a bullshit click bait title and fake controversy.
The news was perfectly clear all along, the release time was always 1AM CET on the 19th of May, with simultaneous release all across the world.
So Obviously any time zone west of the GMT would get it on the 18th of May.
East would be on the 19th of May.

So the times in America as quoted are clearly correct and accurate.

01:00 (1AM) CET 19th May = 00:00 (12PM) GMT 19th (18th) May = 19:00 (7PM) EST 18th May = 16:00 (4PM) PDT 18th May
Similarly east is later in their local Timezone.

So at the exact same moment whatever the platform you get it on, wherever in the world you are.
Basic maths, it was always clear and obvious but you get no click baiting, just saying that we all get it at exactly the same time