8 Games With Amazing Soundtracks

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 Games With Amazing Soundtracks

If you're looking for a game with an amazing soundtrack, our community has recommended these eight for you.

Read Full Article

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
No Brütal Legend?
A game that was more or less build around it's soundtrack?
Or maybe Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now?
A racing game that featured Iron Maiden's Be Quick or Be Dead? Can you find something more fitting than that?

Weird list....

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
JenSeven said:
No Brütal Legend?
A racing game that featured Iron Maiden's Be Quick or Be Dead? Can you find something more fitting than that?

Weird list....
It does seem very much a gamer's list...but it'd be silly to expect anything else.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Great list, to be sure. And I'm glad to see others finally appreciate just how great the Half-Life soundtracks are. Valve has some fantastically talented sound designers and writers - notably Kelly Bailey and Mike Morasky. It's just as great to see Metroid Prime's soundtrack finally getting the respect it deserves. It's rare to hear a soundtrack that feels so atmospheric and modern, yet harkens back to the days of old and the dated source material.

That said...

How did Homeworld not make the list?! That series has to have some of the most atmospheric, thematically-perfect soundtracks put to a game.

Paul Ruskay knocked those soundtracks out of the park. One of the primary reasons I'm so excited for the new Homeworld: Shipbreakers is because Ruskay is once again composing the soundtrack and score.

DanteRL

Jan 14, 2010
JenSeven said:
No Brütal Legend?

Weird list....
It does seem that they are original soundtracks. While the ones you mentioned have licensed tracks from other artists. Maaaaybe is because of that.

Put Rock'n Roll Racing on your list though.

vdrandom

fsck
Dec 18, 2013
I rarely comment on this website, but...

Valdis Story: Abyssal City. The best soundtrack ever. (Also Frozen Synapse.)

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
DanteRL said:
JenSeven said:
No Brütal Legend?

Weird list....
It does seem that they are original soundtracks. While the ones you mentioned have licensed tracks from other artists. Maaaaybe is because of that.

Put Rock'n Roll Racing on your list though.
I figured that as well. For licensed stuff I was quite partial to the soundtrack for Burnout 3: Takedown. I wouldn't listen to most of it outside of the game, but inside the game it just *works*

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
So you have Saints Row 4, a game whose soundtrack I completely ignore because it's all the same stuff but no Metal Gear Solid series? Songs like When Heavens Divide and Calling to the Night?

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Wizardry 8 is the only game on this list I've played/heard, and I'd agree. It has a pretty fine soundtrack indeed. A similar game, Wizards & Warriors, also has an outstanding OST.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
No Riven?

No Riven?

NO RIVEN?

<youtube=zCOV3OT8u3M>

LISTEN TO YOUR DESK RUMBLE.

Not even the other Myst games? Ugh. Getting waaaaay into old and somewhat obscure games has its downsides.

Solbasa

May 3, 2014
No Xenoblade Chronicles, home to two of my favourite open world themes ever, plus YOU WILL KNOW THEIR $%!@ING NAMES?

<youtube=p45gdP2OKmU>

<youtube=xweRl4LZlmo>

<youtube=V4vCEHpv6Hg>

I think Xenoblade has my favourite video game OST ever. Final Fantasy IX and the Persona games come close, but Xenoblade tops them all.

THM

Sep 27, 2014
And what about the Bioshock games? The OSTs are great, and so's the period-specific music.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Not a bad list, but I've always felt that this is a challenging "best ofs" to put together, and would be handled much more easily if split into scores and soundtracks. Orchestral soundtracks offer a different experience and statement, just like in movies. There are some that toe the line in between, like Jesper Kyd (I think that's the spelling) in Hitman games, but they do a fantastic job of setting tone.

My favourite current ones would also be Hotline Miamis, but there are plenty that stuck with me through the years, especially through the first few 16-bit games (Sonic, Skitchin', Shinobi). After that there was also Quake 2, Painkiller, Street Fighter, and of course the open-world games that provided fantastic backing while cruising around, like in the Saints Rows and GTAs (GTA San Andreas even started me on a bit of a classic rock phase, and sometimes I'd just fly a chopper around stuck on that channel).

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Just a note for the "Why didn't you pick this game" posts: Our community galleries are compiled from posts in threads right here in the forums. The selections on the list are chosen from the posts in that forum. Therefore, I don't add my personal choices to the list.

That said, Brutal Legend was awesome.

neil1990

Aug 24, 2010
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow had an epic soundtrack, it caught me off guard just how good it was. It features a style of orchestral music that I think should be in more games, especially fantasies; for example I thought Dragon Age: Inquisition was devoid of a soundtrack for long stretches so it felt like something was missing. Even when there was a soundtrack playing it was relatively lacklustre.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Regarding SR4:

That radio is one of the main reasons I rarely used the super-fast running ability.
...you know you can have the radio stations playing all the time, when you're on foot, right?

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I'm surprised that Jeremy Soule didn't make it onto this list, specially for what he made for Total Annihilation.
And MoozE, his work was perfect for the first S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game.

I could go on and on...
But I know how these lists are done, being based on other people's posts so I'll shut up.
That said, Kelly Bailey is indeed amazing. While I don't like HL2 that much, I cannot deny that it has a really good soundtrack.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
ffronw said:
Just a note for the "Why didn't you pick this game" posts: Our community galleries are compiled from posts in threads right here in the forums. The selections on the list are chosen from the posts in that forum. Therefore, I don't add my personal choices to the list.

That said, Brutal Legend was awesome.
Thanks for clearing that up. Personally, I thought Emperor: Battle for Dune, especially the Harkonnen tracks, Unreal for several of its tracks and the original Deus Ex as well as Strahd's Possession would have been worthy of such a list, but I have to realize that I've been cloistered for the past few years.. ;)