Cougar 500K and 600M Keyboard and Mouse Review

Encaen

May 6, 2005
Cougar 500K and 600M Keyboard and Mouse Review

Cougar's 500K and 600M offer gorgeous aesthetics and incredible tactile and practical experiences.

Read Full Article

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
at $80 you might as well save a little extra and get a mechanical keyboard or a more robust membrane keyboard (because damn, those mechanicals are loud). There are a lot of options out there if you shop online. A word about how many simultaneous key presses would be nice, though (while that's bordering on super-savvy tech user, I've found it's a real motivation for the practical gamer). The mouse looks slick, though; and the price is about average for a gaming mouse. I have big hands, though, so I always have to prioritize a better fit over compact desk area.

Now on to the nitty gritty: I would like, just for the sake of transparency, to know if the items were given to the escapist (or purchased, though I doubt it) with the understanding that the reviews would not be tainted by an obligation to be favorable or hamper discussion of competing products. A disclaimer would be nice: something along the lines of "Disclaimer: the items reviewed were provided to the escapist by the manufacturer free from any obligation for favorable coverage."

This raised an eyebrow from me mainly because I seem to recall these same peripherals being used as a prize in a giveaway fairly recently. I just want to be sure this is a real review as opposed to an advertisement in sheep's clothing.

Sorry for the skepticism: recent events with gaming media have left me lacking in trust.

Encaen

May 6, 2005
flying_whimsy said:
Now on to the nitty gritty: I would like, just for the sake of transparency, to know if the items were given to the escapist (or purchased, though I doubt it) with the understanding that the reviews would not be tainted by an obligation to be favorable or hamper discussion of competing products. A disclaimer would be nice: something along the lines of "Disclaimer: the items reviewed were provided to the escapist by the manufacturer free from any obligation for favorable coverage."

This raised an eyebrow from me mainly because I seem to recall these same peripherals being used as a prize in a giveaway fairly recently. I just want to be sure this is a real review as opposed to an advertisement in sheep's clothing.

Sorry for the skepticism: recent events with gaming media have left me lacking in trust.
I sincerely apologize for the omission. I have added a mention at the top and bottom that the review units were provided by Cougar, and thanks for the reminder! We strive for transparency, and this oversight is entirely my fault.

That said, please rest assured that the giveaway was in no way tied to the review, but having been offered products to give away (especially since it was an international contest, which we rarely get to do) I believed the value to our community would be too great to pass up.

We do occasionally post sponsored articles or news posts, as you may have seen recently. These will be clearly marked as Sponsored, however (either in the headline, or prominently displayed next to it in the carousel), so there should be very little confusion on what is and is not a sponsored article. Reviews, however, will never be sponsored, as that represents a very clear conflict of interest.

I hope that helps, but please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, either here or via PM.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Encaen said:
I sincerely apologize for the omission. I have added a mention at the top and bottom that the review units were provided by Cougar, and thanks for the reminder! We strive for transparency, and this oversight is entirely my fault.

That said, please rest assured that the giveaway was in no way tied to the review, but having been offered products to give away (especially since it was an international contest, which we rarely get to do) I believed the value to our community would be too great to pass up.

We do occasionally post sponsored articles or news posts, as you may have seen recently. These will be clearly marked as Sponsored, however (either in the headline, or prominently displayed next to it in the carousel), so there should be very little confusion on what is and is not a sponsored article. Reviews, however, will never be sponsored, as that represents a very clear conflict of interest.

I hope that helps, but please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, either here or via PM.
Thanks for clearing that up. That makes me feel a lot better knowing that about your review policies.

And for what it's worth, I did actually enter that contest. ;)