Konami Confirms Silent Hills Cancellation

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Konami Confirms Silent Hills Cancellation

According to representatives from Konami, Silent Hills has been cancelled but the Silent Hill franchise isn't finished yet.

Horror fans let out a collective cry of anguish when Guillermo Del Toro revealed that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140592-Del-Toro-Confirms-Silent-Hills-Cancellation>Silent Hills had been cancelled. The project, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136801-Hideo-Kojima-and-Guillermo-del-Toro-Team-for-New-Silent-Hill>which was to be co-directed by Del Toro and Hideo Kojima with Norman Reedus in the lead role, was perhaps one of the most hotly anticipated entries of the horror franchise. But after hoping and praying it wouldn't end here, Konami has officially confirmed that Silent Hills is finished - although the Silent Hill franchise will continue.

"Konami is committed to new Silent Hill titles," a representative told Game Informater, "however the embryonic Silent Hills project developed with Guillermo del Toro and featuring the likeness of Norman Reedus will not be continued."

And to rub further salt in the wound, the interactive teaser game P.T. disappears this Wednesday. "P.T. is being pulled from the PS store since it was created as a playable teaser for Silent Hills, but the distribution period and license usage within the demo have both now expired."

Konami didn't state precisely why Silent Hills was cancelled, but if it involved <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140187-Konami-And-Hideo-Kojima-Comment-on-Departure-Rumors>the publisher's changing relationship with Kojima Productions it wouldn't be a huge surprise. We'll report more information as it develops, but now's your last chance to download P.T. from PSN <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137512-Silent-Hills-Concept-Trailer-Reveal-at-Tokyo-Games-Show>for a glimpse of what could have been.

Source: <a href=http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/04/27/konami-confirms-silent-hills-cancelation-but-series-still-alive.aspx>Game Informer

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Fanghawk said:
"Konami is committed to new Silent Hill titles," a representative told Game Informater, "however the embryonic Silent Hills project developed with Guillermo del Toro and featuring the likeness of Norman Reedus will not be continued."
It's hilarious how they refuse to mention Kojima's name even in a press note. Shit must've gone down super bad over there.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Konami has officially confirmed that Silent Hills is finished - although the Silent Hill franchise will continue."

Yes, the milking of the franchise cow won't stop till the numbers on that evil spreadsheet they keep in place of a heart and or common sense stop making 'business sense'... Psssh.

CAPTCHA: Star Spangled. Yes, that's exactly what this series is allergic too; Western developers ruining it's core concepts!

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
I sincerely wish Konami the best of luck on their pachinko machine business. Although knowing them they'll somehow manage to fuck that up too. Well, I'll celebrate Kojima's magnum opus my own way. That is to say I'm gonna buy it second hand so as not to give a single penny more to those senseless dimwits.

So long Konami, and thanks for... Well, Metal Gear, I guess. *shrugs*

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Fanghawk said:
It's hilarious how they refuse to mention Kojima's name even in a press note. Shit must've gone down super bad over there.
Every vague glimpse Konami gives about what is going on behinds the scenes makes this entire incident seem worse and worse. What the hell happened over there?

From how bad it all sounds, I can only imagine that Kojima's disagreements with the Konami execs turned into something like this:

OT: What a goddamned shame that such a promising title seems to be dead in the water now. There hasn't been this much interest and excitement for a Silent Hill game in ages, and now it's done.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
RIP Konami.

Yet another company that stopped being relevant after the 90's, right next to Capcom.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
This is such a gut punch for me. Well maybe I'll finally get around to playing downpour to choke back my grief. I have heard it is 'okay' for a SH game. Perhaps it will surprise me...

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Why Konami would distance themselves from one of their biggestvcash cows I will never know. It would be awesome if Kojima opened his own studio and continued work on Silent Hills. Just put it under a different name.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Not only does Konami officially cancel Silent Hills, they also Delist themselves from the New York Stock Exchange [http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/27/8503893/konami-delists-itself-from-new-york-stock-exchange].

I think Konami might be leaving Video Gaming...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
One horror game that I was actually looking forward to. It looked genuinely scary. Sad day.

And no more Konami? Holy crap! That would be an end of an era. I hope it isn't true.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Bat Vader said:
It would be awesome if Kojima opened his own studio and continued work on Silent Hills. Just put it under a different name.
Something like Desolate Gradients perhaps?
I also sincerely hope Kojima continues his work with a newly founded, talented studio. He could just walk out of konami's office, on the day, all like..."I have cookies and the FOX engine! Which of you motherfuckers here gonna abandon this sinking ship and join me in perilous adventures??"

At least I really hope that's how it goes down...

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
yet another series going down the drain much like Double Dragon, Contra, Castlevania all did before it. If there's one thing I know about Konami is that they don't know how to manage a franchise, I bet the yearly installments of Metal Gear will start as soon as Kojima leaves

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
Bat Vader said:
It would be awesome if Kojima opened his own studio and continued work on Silent Hills. Just put it under a different name.
Something like Desolate Gradients perhaps?
I also sincerely hope Kojima continues his work with a newly founded, talented studio. He could just walk out of konami's office, on the day, all like..."I have cookies and the FOX engine! Which of you motherfuckers here gonna abandon this sinking ship and join me in perilous adventures??"

At least I really hope that's how it goes down...
Could Konami try and claim ownership or is the FOX Engine strictly Kojima's? I think it would hilarious if Kojima one day bought Konami.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I kinda had a feeling that they would cancel the game once Del Toro and Kojima weren't involved.

And now they're gonna keep going on with the series?

I think Konami has done quite enough for SH, and they should just stop while they're ahead.

Kyogissun

Notably Neutral
Jan 12, 2010
Well Konami, you've spent the past few years churning out some real grade A garbage outside of Metal Gear.

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out of the gaming industry. Especially since you didn't care that your ass is where most of your games from the past 4 or 5 years have been coming from.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
"According to representatives from Konami, Silent Hills has been cancelled but the Silent Hill franchise isn't finished yet."

Yes. Yes it is Konami.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I can't wait until Konami goes bankrupt and it has to sell its assets.

MAYBE WE CAN GET A NEW ACTUAL CASTLEVANIA GAME!

A man can dream, truly. :(