D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die Coming To PC

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die Coming To PC

Xbox One exclusive adventure will no longer be exclusive.

D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, an episodic adventure game released as an Xbox One exclusive last year, has been confirmed to be exclusive no longer. The game's director, Hidetaka Suehiro (aka SWERY), has stated the title will release on PC in an interview [http://www.famitsu.com/news/201504/28077713.html] with Famitsu. Further statements have raised the possibility that the game, once thought to be abandoned, might even continue.

Originally built to utilize the Kinect camera system, the PC version of D4 has adapted its mechanics to be mouse-based. It will contain all three episodes currently available in the Xbox One release. SWERY also stated that DLC content from the Xbox One release is being integrated into the new edition, taking the form of side quest rewards instead of add-on purchases.

That Access Games had a version of D4 playable on PC first became known during GDC 2015, demonstrating an experimental build during a presentation [http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1021912/Designing-for-Empathy-with-Sensory] by SWERY, "Designing for Empathy with Sensory Replication in D4, 65 Methods That Could Be Implemented Tomorrow." SWERY answered an audience question asking then if the game would come to PC, to which SWERY replied, "with the feedback of people, we would possibly consider it." The build was then made playable to attendees of the PAX East show the following weekend.

No publisher has been announced for the PC release, but those details are likely forthcoming soon. SWERY stated that Access Games will be showing the game at Tokyo Indie Festival May 8-10, and that a publisher announcement may come at that time. The game itself may not be too far off, for that matter. SWERY says that team has been working to reach a bug-checking phase of development by May.

Could this mean that even more D4 could follow? SWERY confirmed that Access Games does own the intellectual property and could develop additional episodes. In a conversation [http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/28/8507891/D4-Swery-Xbox-One-PC-Steam-Windows-Access-Games] with Polygon, the designer wouldn't confirm anything, but encouraged fans to, "please get excited."

Sources: Polygon [http://www.famitsu.com/news/201504/28077713.html]

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
So how many games are exclusive to the Xbox One right now which don't have to use Kinect?

Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive, Forza 5... That's it. I'm glad I abandoned ship and went from 360 to PC.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm beginning to feel like most of the games advertising XBox One exclusivity need a footnote in their commercials. And maybe the footnote just says,

[sub][sub]Ha, no.[/sub][/sub]

When even being tied to the Kinect isn't enough to maintain a game's exclusivity... Well, snark aside, the implication is that the XBox One audience simply isn't robust enough to feed triple-A development. A more optimistic view might be that transitioning games to the PC is so easy that there's little reason not to go hunting that broader audience, I guess, but Kinect aside, the PS4 isn't that different on an architectural level, and the Sony folk don't seem to be having quite the same degree of later-stage crossover.

Factoring in Steet Fighter V coming to PS4 and PC, but not XB1... Well, ouch.

Any way, to the subject at hand- D4 seemed to be getting a fair amount of praise from the "quirky and original" set, so I'll be perfectly happy to see it come to the PC, and I hope it's enough to fund its continuation. I just hope they nail those mouse controls.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Believe it or not, but I'd say you're missing out not playing this with Kinect. Not that that will stop me from recommending it, it's great, probably one of my favourite games of last year for sure, and I'd love for this to bring some more episodes.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Huh. What's the bet that Cry is actually some kind of video game resurrecting super hero?
Because that totally sounds awesome.

(Bee-tee-dubs, Cry the Youtuber just finished a playthrough of this game (or what there is of it out atm) and I don't think I've ever enjoyed, laughed and just been fucking confused at a game before. Shits cray cray yo)

OT:

YAY. NOW EVERYONE CAN JOIN IN ON THE MADNESS.
NOW YOU TOO CAN EAT HOTDOGS.
NOW YOU TOO CAN HAVE AN INHALER FILLED WITH HAPPY GAS.
NOW YOU TOO CAN BE A CAT WHO IS A PERSON BUT IS ACTUALLY NOT BECAUSE IT'S A CAT.

This game is just something brilliant. It's terrible kinect control scheme is entirely forgiven for making a game that somehow keeps me interesting in the story while having fight scenes where the main character dances while putting away luggage. Because holy shit this game is just insane.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
I recently got involved with this game. I kind of hope it continues. It's very... um... interesting. I didn't really take to it at first, but it's so zany and fun and shamelessly itself that it started to grow on me and I began to really enjoy it.

And then I hit that stupid cliffhanger. So yeah, more episodes would be nice.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
The sad part with this one is that Swery was almost THE ONE GUY to give a damn about making something that works with Kinect, and it worked pretty damn well at that.

I tried this one at a friends house and it was really fucking good, but since Xbox pretty much abandoned all things kinect and the game didn't sell too well, there's probably not going to be any new episodes. Hopefully the PC version sells better.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
MC1980 said:
That's great to hear. This game is pretty much Deadly Premonition in tone but not utter shit. Kinda sad that the followup episodes don't seem to be panning out.
Well that's because it didn't sell well on Xbox One. Maybe a PC release can change that!