UPDATE: New Commandos Game Will Return to Series' Roots

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
UPDATE: New Commandos Game Will Return to Series' Roots

UPDATE: According to Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/pyro-bringing-commandos-back-to-life], the story done by Gamer.nl was based on "wishful thinking." Pyro would like to do a new Commandos title someday, but it isn't definitely going to be the company's next project. The Gamer.nl journalist may have misunderstood some comments made by Pyro at the recent GamesCom.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/pyro-bringing-commandos-back-to-life]

The original post is available below in full:

A sixth entry in the Commandos series isn't in the works, but it's on the table.

Pyro Studios has revealed to Planet 51 [http://www.gamer.nl/doc/53618/Nieuwe-Commandos-game-komt-eraan-volgens-Pyro-Studios] (from the writer of Shrek and Shrek 2!) that is due out in November, but plans to return to Commandos afterward.

Pyro admitted that the series' fifth entry, Strike Force, often criticized for its departure from the gameplay style of earlier titles, was "a mistake." The new Commandos game is planned to be similar to Commandos 2.

For anyone that likes strategy or tactical games, the Commandos series is a must play. Ignore the most recent Commandos: Strike Force, and instead procure a copy of one (or all) of the first four: Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines, Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty, Commandos 2: Men of Courage, and Commandos 3: Destination Berlin.

Commandos is known for its crushing difficulty, but therein lies the fun. Assaulting a Nazi stronghold shouldn't be easy, after all. Players control a small team of various types of commandos with different abilities, including the tough Green Beret, the explosive-setting Sapper, and the agile Thief. The unique abilities of each commando (such as the Green Beret's ability to bury himself to become invisible) allow for multitudes of different ways to complete each level. Some Commandos levels are real brain-busters, for those who like that sort of thing. Though the Commandos games may be tough to find, they're worth the trouble.

Via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5343841/commandos-series-to-make-a-return]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I have never heard of Strike Force and have played 3 of the other ones. I wonder when it was released.

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
Men of Courage is available on Steam, I'm not sure about the others. For those interested in playing them. I played a demo when I was a kid and enjoyed it, so I think I'll see about revisiting these when I have the time.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I only played Commandos 2, but that was a fun, sometimes funny game.
ah, the hilarious mistakes that can happen :D

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
This game always gave me conniptions trying to complete it. I guess what I'm trying to say is: Glad to see it's back!

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I still have behind enemy lines. It is a rock solid game, just killing a single enemy can be a pain in the ass as they can spot and kill you from half a map away while the best weapon you have a a sniper rifle that the owner only ever brings 4 bullets for.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Machines Are Us said:
I have never heard of Strike Force and have played 3 of the other ones. I wonder when it was released.
Same here. Never heard of "Strike Force".

But I do remember the insane difficulty of the missions and I still have my Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty CD-Rom (not DVD) right here next to me. :)

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Ooh.

Now where's my Behind Enemy Lines disc? I've got a date with a sociopathic Irishman.
Although the Sapper was always my favourate, particuarly because he had enough sense to wear a helmet.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I've only ever played Behind Enemy Lines as a wee lad. I was terrible at it, but it was still an enjoyable experience and, if I were to go back, I'd probably have a fantastic time.

Although the Sapper was always my favourate, particuarly because he had enough sense to wear a helmet.
Helmets are for cannon fodder. If you're not wearing a helmet you probably have enough Plot Armour to keep you alive whatever comes your way.

Flushfacker

Mar 17, 2009
Played the first one again only a couple of weeks ago, and yea its probably as hard as you remember it, if not harder! After a couple of maps though you realise most of the puzzles follow the same formula... distract, sneak up behind, stab, find somewhere to hide body all while making sure no one is watching. Good times.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Great, loved these games, looking forward to wearing down the quickload button on my keyboard until there's nothing left but a hole.

Makeshift Koala

Aug 20, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
ah, the hilarious mistakes that can happen :D
haha completely agree
'why arent you shooting at him!? what do you mean he's not in your cone? he's just at the corner! look out behind you!' XP

Frederf

Nov 5, 2007
If I can play Commandos 6 cooperatively with my friends on a LAN then I will buy it. Otherwise, no.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Commandos was punishing. I loved every minute of it though. I still need to play Destination Berlin, so this can wait.