LG Reveals "Wallpaper TV" - Less Than 1mm Thick

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
LG Reveals "Wallpaper TV" - Less Than 1mm Thick

LG's new superthin OLED TVs are also super flexible. Imagine rolling up your TV to take to your friend's place?

Ever since we cast-off the CRT, TVs have been getting thinner and thinner. Now, it looks like LG is set to finally end that arms race with its crazy new superthin OLED TV. At just 0.97mm thick, the 55 inch TV can be rolled up like a sheet of paper, and stuck to a wall with a magnet like wallpaper.

The OLED weighs just 1.9 kg, and is a significant upgrade from LG's previously revealed 4.3mm model. Last year, LG unveiled two 18-inch OLED panels - one that's rollable and another that's transparent. According to LG, the 1,200-by-810 flexible OLED panel can be rolled up to a radius of 3 centimeters without affecting the function of the display.

As for the future, LG plans to develop a 99 inch OLED display by the end of the year, meaning that you will soon be able to literally wallpaper your house with TVs.

Yeo Sang-deog, the head of LG Display's OLED division, is astounded at the amazing progress that has been made in OLED development. "It has taken a year and half for us to raise the yield to this level (for OLEDs), while it'd taken nearly 10 years to achieve the yield for LCDs," he said.

There's no word on when these babies will be available for the general population to purchase, but you can probably bet that they will be very, very expensive.

Source: Yonhape News [http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/business/2015/05/19/80/0501000000AEN20150519006000320F.html]

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
All they have to do is make it supple and you could wear a TV. Then a new blinding hell golden age of advertising will begin.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I'd so wallpaper my house with a TV screen if I could. This is really neat!

But I wonder what else this insanely thin OLED material could be used for? Maybe some day, we'll have OLED clothes that change color on their own, or display GIFs!

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That's pretty cool, and I think I might actually want one. One question though. How do you hook stuff up to it? VCR (you guys still have those, right? Not just me?), DVD, Blu-ray, and most importantly, game consoles. Or am I simply imagining this thing as being thinner than it is?

Texas Joker 52

All hail the Pun Meister!
Jun 25, 2011
Ah, technology marches on, just going to show that...

THE FUTURE IS NOW!

That is seriously cool though. Soon, that's going to be the template for a lot of personal devices that require a screen. And I can't wait to see it!

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Several uses for this I thought of while reading the article:

[li]Projector-less movie theaters.[/li]
[li]Cheaper backdrops for concerts or performance art.[/li]
[li]DIY virtual reality room.[/li]
[li]Dynamic wallpaper.[/li]

Really, the possibilities are numerous.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
crimson5pheonix said:
All they have to do is make it supple and you could wear a TV. Then a new blinding hell golden age of advertising will begin.
Active Camo?

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Asclepion said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Active Camo?
That would also require camera arrays and hefty processing power to properly distort the image in real time.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
That's pretty cool, and I think I might actually want one. One question though. How do you hook stuff up to it? VCR (you guys still have those, right? Not just me?), DVD, Blu-ray, and most importantly, game consoles. Or am I simply imagining this thing as being thinner than it is?
Since it still needs some sort of power source, I would assume that there is some kind of "unit" on one of the TV's corners that you can plug stuff into.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Since it still needs some sort of power source, I would assume that there is some kind of "unit" on one of the TV's corners that you can plug stuff into.
Or perhaps a separate box with a single ribbon that runs up to the screen.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
crimson5pheonix said:
That would also require camera arrays and hefty processing power to properly distort the image in real time.
Only if you were going for an actual 'cloak'. What about blending into the surrounding textures like an octopus?

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Asclepion said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Only if you were going for an actual 'cloak'. What about blending into the surrounding textures like an octopus?
You could drop lower the processing, but you'd still need the cameras because the suit needs to know the color and distance to it's surroundings.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I've been dreaming of having tvs that could roll up or stack like paper; if they ever manage to put a touch interface on them it will be the coolest thing. They eventually make it cheap enough and we wouldn't need paper anymore.

Screw wallpaper; this is the sort of thing that could give us a fully interactive environment. How cool. Although, that's going to be a lot of eye strain...

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
I suspect all the bulky stuff (power supply, usb/input ports, etc) is in a separate box, that is meant to be hooked up to the t.v, and can be hidden away.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Underground offices would be able to cover large spaces of wallpaper with screens that displayed the view of outside from remote cameras mounted on the surface, thus keeping their workers reasonably contented and productive. It would be like working in The Hive, minus the risk of T-Virus outbreak and elevator-assisted decapitation.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I want one of these in a tablet. Screens are steadily getting lighter and cooler, I want my 4k passively cooled mobile PC before I hit 30 damnit!

In the mean time one of these replacing my bank LCD screens would be nice.
Asclepion said:
Active Camo?
<spoiler=1998 says hello>

<youtube=yx_1zcHvr1M>

In reality, the heat and power required for active camouflage completely undermines the awesome Predator effect. Which is a shame, but it's real and it's awesome.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
darkhallwaygames said:
How are you supposed to plug anything into that?
I was just wondering that...I can understand modern TVs not having an RF adaptor but how am I supposed to play my older consoles on a TV like that? Indeed, how am I supposed to play my current consoles on a TV like that?!