Can Tomorrowland Save The World?

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
Can Tomorrowland Save The World?

Can Tomorrowland be ushering in a new age of positive-minded sci-fi that will inspire children?

Read Full Article

Jan 12, 2012
I'm a big fan of cyberpunk, and over the last few years you've seen the same sort of shift going on; for a genre that is explicitly built on the idea that technology only allows us to be bastards more efficiently, there's a lot of hope floating around.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'd love to see NASA get more funding. Robert Heinlein wrote an eloquent and lengthy speech about all the technological benefits that had come from the space program, apart from the direct application towards the exploration of space.

But hits on a Facebook page don't equate to taxpayers who are willing to petition their congresspeople to increase their taxes to fund NASA, or to funnel money away from issues like defense or earth-based infrastructure that often seem more immediately pressing.

I'm sorry to be misanthropic, but there are so many exemplars of short-sightedeness, short attention spans, and short tempers in the world today that it's a lot easier for me to see the connection between, say, drought in California and dystopia than NASA and a more optimistic future.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
There's no rational reason to be optimistic about the future. If we're desperate enough to sacrifice rationality on the altar of hope, then anything truly is possible because we're outside the scope of sanity.

Creativity isn't allowed in the present world whenever it conflicts with the hegemonic order of capitalism. Some "creative" idea could be supported by capitalism such that would allow for colonization (domination) of some non-earth outside space, but in a world reaching a point terrible enough to require leaving earth the rich and powerful will be too desperate and deprived of security in order to establish any kind of reasonable situation for anyone besides themselves and the "chosen ones" - those special servants raptured up to the promised land.

We continue with a two-fold colonization fantasy - on earth in the wake of a zombie apocalypse, cleansing the world of unworthy weak people turned zombies to clear the way for "true humans", those rugged survivalists who will remake a new world from the biblical ashes of the old, and in space on the wings of science, technology, and wealth, humans will Star Trek their way to colonize the stars. Both are myths, but engage the imaginations of desperate people in a way that truth can never possibly do.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
And for some really weird reason Disney is calling the movie "Project T" in Europe...
Anyone have any idea why that is? Tomorrowland makes a lot more sense in my opinion.

Jan 12, 2012
Kenjitsuka said:
The The Flash TV show is also a great example of this positive sci-fi trend.
That may be grammatically correct, but it sets my teeth on edge to read. Damn you English, why must you do this to me?

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Mistake: science fiction MOVIES depict a bleak landscape. Hollywood is full of puddingheads. Science fiction literature is as varied and widespread in its message as it ever was. Just look at the books and magazines published since 1960. There is plenty of room for apocalypse and utopia in the boundless future.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Azhrarn-101 said:
And for some really weird reason Disney is calling the movie "Project T" in Europe...
Anyone have any idea why that is? Tomorrowland makes a lot more sense in my opinion.
Maybe they do not want to inspire any thoughts of "Morganland, die welt."

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
gridsleep said:
Azhrarn-101 said:
Maybe they do not want to inspire any thoughts of "Morganland, die welt."
I've done a little research since posting this, and it appears that "Project T" is only the title for the Netherlands and Belgium. Apparently there is a potential trademark issue, as there's a huge techno festival called Tomorrowland there. So to avoid that, the movie has a different title for those 2 countries.
It's still a bit silly, but I can understand Disney wanting to avoid potential legal issues.

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
briankoontz said:
There's no rational reason to be optimistic about the future. If we're desperate enough to sacrifice rationality on the altar of hope, then anything truly is possible because we're outside the scope of sanity.
Plenty of rational reason to be optimistic about the future when you actually see what's going on.

Creativity isn't allowed in the present world whenever it conflicts with the hegemonic order of capitalism. Some "creative" idea could be supported by capitalism such that would allow for colonization (domination) of some non-earth outside space, but in a world reaching a point terrible enough to require leaving earth the rich and powerful will be too desperate and deprived of security in order to establish any kind of reasonable situation for anyone besides themselves and the "chosen ones" - those special servants raptured up to the promised land.
Actually, with all the risks, the rich and powerful are probably happy enough to send paid experts out into space instead of themselves. Aside from that, the quoted paragraph is nothing but meaningless political rhetoric wrapped up in inflammatory buzzwords. You can copypasta that and replace 'capitalism' with any noun in the english language without changing the meaning.

We continue with a two-fold colonization fantasy - on earth in the wake of a zombie apocalypse, cleansing the world of unworthy weak people turned zombies to clear the way for "true humans", those rugged survivalists who will remake a new world from the biblical ashes of the old, and in space on the wings of science, technology, and wealth, humans will Star Trek their way to colonize the stars. Both are myths, but engage the imaginations of desperate people in a way that truth can never possibly do.
The zombie apocalypse is a laugable lie.

"Star Trek" is becoming a closer reality day-by-day, as evidenced by your ability to spew this bullshit in the way you did, and mine to respond without saying or writing a damn thing.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
briankoontz said:
OT: I don't particularly like the distilled science that's become so popular, but at least the pretty pictures and catchy words (star stuff anyone?) are doing something good.