Final Release Date Set For Tabletop Simulator

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Final Release Date Set For Tabletop Simulator

Play board games without having to look directly at another human.

Berserk Games has set a date for the final version release of Tabletop Simulator. It will complete its Early Access beta on Steam and release in full on June 5.

The product of a successful Kickstarter campaign [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/274930865/tabletop-simulator/description] last year, Tabletop Simulator seeks to provide all of the same capabilities as a real physical surface for the purpose of playing games. Presented in a first-person perspective, the program features a variety of table designs, mechanics for managing die rolls and card decks, the ability to angrily flip the virtual table, and a step-based system of moves which allows easy restoration of a board when someone does flip that table (or any other needed correction).

Packaged with a collection of classic board games (including Chess, Checkers, and Dominoes), the software also allows players to add new objects to a growing library of user-generated content. More than 3,000 items have been added thus far, including whole translations of out-of-print titles, new games created by users, and components to be used in tabletop role-playing.

[gallery=4178]

Tabletop Simulator can be purchased on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/286160] while it remains in Early Access at a discounted price of $14.99, before assuming its standard price of $19.99 after release.

Coinciding with the final release will be the first official downloadable content. A virtual adaptation of the Superfight card game [http://www.superfightgame.com/], created by Darin Ross and physically published by Skybound, will be sold separately for $9.99.

Source: Steam [http://steamcommunity.com/games/TabletopSimulator/announcements/detail/218767367128234933]

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Silentpony said:
You know what would be awesome? Good Game Simulator. And it ends up being a good game.
If they'd given that name to Tabletop Simulator, it would have been accurate. You can simulate lots of good games with it, and it's a good simulation of those good games.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Sounds intriguing. I haven't looked at the links yet, but something tells me that this game might have decent VR support in the works.

Please tell me someone makes a Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence mod for it.
Lagslayer said:
How long until we get Simulator Simulator?
Would that be a first person game where you control a PC running Steam or GoG?

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Aw. I came in thinking DND style. I r teh sadz it's lacking a pen and paper table top. Looks like it has a few decent miniatures, though.

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Rebel_Raven said:
Aw. I came in thinking DND style. I r teh sadz it's lacking a pen and paper table top. Looks like it has a few decent miniatures, though.
One of the primary goals for the project was to make something functional for tabletop roleplaying, and there are features to that end, but I haven't experimented with them.

Blue_screen

Aug 28, 2009
Looking forward to this title, seems like a good way to aggregate and play a wide variety of tabletop games.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The bulk of my experience with Tabletop Simulator comes from watching the Co-optional Lounge, but from what I've seen it's a fairly robust tool for recreating tabletop games. The rules and mechanics are still left to the players to act out and the game doesn't do stuff for you - it just provides a virtual "space" in which you can perform these actions. Funnily enough, this means you can mess things up (since you don't have a program that's performing all the mechanics for you under the table), but also that you can cheat! While it's unlikely that I'll ever use it personally, I'm glad it exists and hope it works out well.

Jan 12, 2012
the ability to angrily flip the virtual table,
Sold.
Jandau said:
The bulk of my experience with Tabletop Simulator comes from watching the Co-optional Lounge, but from what I've seen it's a fairly robust tool for recreating tabletop games. The rules and mechanics are still left to the players to act out and the game doesn't do stuff for you - it just provides a virtual "space" in which you can perform these actions. Funnily enough, this means you can mess things up (since you don't have a program that's performing all the mechanics for you under the table), but also that you can cheat! While it's unlikely that I'll ever use it personally, I'm glad it exists and hope it works out well.
Double sold.

The one problem with online tabletops is that you just can't lie and cheat, the cornerstone of tabletop RPGs, and you can't angrily ruin the game for everyone else when the rogue fails to detect the trap and you are the one cut in half.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Conrad Zimmerman said:
Rebel_Raven said:
One of the primary goals for the project was to make something functional for tabletop roleplaying, and there are features to that end, but I haven't experimented with them.
I really hope that it gets well fleshd out. It would be a beautiful thing to behold!