2K Teases New Sci-Fi Title: "Advent"

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
2K Teases New Sci-Fi Title: "Advent"

2K has launched a teaser site for it's mysterious new sci-fi dystopia: Advent.

2K Games, the parent studio behind developers and titles such as Firaxis's Civilization and Gearbox's Borderlands, has just teased an upcoming science fiction game, that it is calling Advent, via what appears to be a viral marketing website. Advent Future.org [http://www.adventfuture.org/] is a website for the fictional Advent corporation, advertising a kind of sci-fi utopia, where they have halted aging and everyone is happy.

However, dig a little deeper and you'll see that the website has been subtly "hacked" into dropping hints that the magical Advent isn't quite as virtuous as they seem.

So from the looks of things Advent will be about an all-powerful corporation with a little too tight of a grip on its citizens, and a rebel uprising trying to pull the wool off of everyone's eyes. It's a fairly common tale, but it'll be interesting to see how 2K pulls it off.

As for what kind of game it will be, all we have to go off are a few in-game images of sci-fi cities. Could we be looking at a sci-fi city-building simulator? That would be cool, for a nice change of pace.

We'll have more info as it becomes available.

Source: 2K Games [https://twitter.com/2K]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh man! I can't wait for a 3rd person cover based shooter with hacking QTE mini-games.
I wonder if we'll get together with the only white girl in The whole plot or if the bad guy will REALLY kill us in the final cutscene!!
Oh the plot twists and options!
Oh! Will I choose faster reload time for my rifle of greater damage for my already one-shot shotgun!
what about my choices?! I wanna play this game U way!

VioletHero

Sep 2, 2014
I can't be the only person who looked at this and thought for a moment that this would be a sequel to Advent Rising.

It'll never happen but one can dream right?

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
gigastar said:
So we know it exists and thats about it.

I suppose we will learn more when E3 rolls around.

008Zulu said:
It will be a DLC delivery platform, that's the kind of game we can expect from 2K.
One example isnt indicative of a pattern. Dig the stick out of your rectum.

So 2 Borderlands games and Evolve (there 3 most recent games) aren't indicative?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
P-89 Scorpion said:
gigastar said:
So we know it exists and thats about it.

I suppose we will learn more when E3 rolls around.

008Zulu said:
It will be a DLC delivery platform, that's the kind of game we can expect from 2K.
One example isnt indicative of a pattern. Dig the stick out of your rectum.

So 2 Borderlands games and Evolve (there 3 most recent games) aren't indicative?
Evolve is inexcuseable, ill give you that.

However, Borderlands 2 is a full game offering a complete experience without any DLC.

And Pre-Sequel has exactly 5 DLC's. And theres not likely to be any more since its studio went under.

Also, before you say '3 most recent' you should check to see if you acutally know what that means. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Take-Two_Interactive_video_games]

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
We know nothing about this game and already cynicism is approaching critical mass.

Excuse me while I go feel extremely cynical about you cynics.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
gigastar said:
Evolve is inexcuseable, ill give you that.

However, Borderlands 2 is a full game offering a complete experience without any DLC.

And Pre-Sequel has exactly 5 DLC's. And theres not likely to be any more since its studio went under.

Also, before you say '3 most recent' you should check to see if you acutally know what that means. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Take-Two_Interactive_video_games]

Borderland the Pre-Sequel was developed by Gearbox who are still going with assistance from 2k Australia who went under so there will be more DLC.

so re-releases, mobile games and yearly sports releases not much missed then.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
P-89 Scorpion said:
Borderland the Pre-Sequel was developed by Gearbox who are still going with assistance from 2k Australia who went under so there will be more DLC.
In reality, Pre-Sequel was developed by 2K Marin with oversight from Gearbox. 2K Marin disbanded shortly after the 4th DLC for Pre-Sequel released, and theres been no announcements, and PS hasnt been as great a success as BL2 so its very likely that there will be no more DLC for PS.

And thats without bringing up the rumour that Gearbox is already working on BL3.

P-89 Scorpion said:
so re-releases, mobile games and yearly sports releases not much missed then.
And some other meaningless things like XCOM Declassified, Civ: Beyond Earth and GTA5. Yeah, nothing worth mentioning there.

Insane Guy of DOOM

Aug 7, 2008
Hmm, a game about a Utopian city founded on ideals of a "perfect vision of the world" that has instead gone horribly wrong. A society that is based around, according the viral website, "DNA splicing and gene therapy."

Are we sure this isn't a new BioShock game? (2k did say they had the rights to the IP and would continue to make BioShock games without Irrational)

Here's a video on the similarities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=262&v=vZqt73DzX5c

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
gigastar said:
And some other meaningless things like XCOM Declassified, Civ: Beyond Earth and GTA5. Yeah, nothing worth mentioning there.
GTA5 is a rockstar game we are talking about 2K and Xcom declassified was a shit game and a commercial bomb.

Methodia Chicken

Sep 9, 2014
Insane Guy of DOOM said:
Hmm, a game about a Utopian city founded on ideals of a "perfect vision of the world" that has instead gone horribly wrong. A society that is based around, according the viral website, "DNA splicing and gene therapy."

Are we sure this isn't a new BioShock game? (2k did say they had the rights to the IP and would continue to make BioShock games without Irrational)
Could very well be Xcom as well. Advent has the same ring to it as exalt, some kind of world where the aliens have won or arrived as the Friendly-visitors who-give-us-cool-technology-that-actually-control-everything type.
Either way the tone looks very mystery/conspiracy rather than a collapsed utopia or action that is standard of Bioshock which if it is the direction they are going I am excited.

but I think the biggest question is why can't the super advanced gene engineering utopian government afford some good web-security?

kat-pottz

Jan 25, 2011
Ooh good, finally 2k is partnering with square for the advent children game we have been wanting all this time right, right?... I'll see my way out the door.