Nintendo Files Patent for Wii Football Controller

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Nintendo Files Patent for Wii Football Controller

Nintendo is apparently working on a "soft football controller" for the Wii that will take football videogames to a whole new level of realism and living room furniture to a whole new level of broken.

I don't actually own a Wii but I love it nonetheless, mainly for the way it's able to turn random household objects into integral parts of the gaming experience. Who knew that a bathroom scale would become the biggest thing in game controllers since the D-pad? Or that designing new and interesting ways to turn Wii Remotes into weapons of minor destruction would become a sort of meta-game in itself?

The latest evolution of that design philosophy may soon be upon us: The "soft football controller," a patent application for which was recently filed by Howard Cheng, vice president of R&D at Nintendo of America. The device appears to be essentially a Nerf football with a slot for a Wii Remote and a hand strap so you don't accidentally knock over lamps more than once or twice a day.

The unit will work with a conventional Wii Remote to determine throwing action as well as side-to-side and jumping motions for when you absolutely, positively do not want to be turned into a smear by that 350-pound defensive tackle, while running speed in the game will apparently be determined by "jogging motions" made by the player. It also has provisions for the Nunchuk to "improve the controller's sensitivity," as well as the Wii Motion Plus, which will "detect orientation and improve ability to recognize actions."

The ball itself may be soft but after reflecting upon my own social situation and how the members of that group would react to the presence of a squishy football videogame controller, I foresee trouble nonetheless. "Trouble," as in trips to the emergency room and possibly divorce court.

No word on when we might see this pretend pigskin hit the market, but given that it's little more than a dangerous idea at this point, it'll be a long while yet - giving you the time you'll need to save up for the inevitable trip to Ikea.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2009/08/24/nintendo-developing-a-squishy-football-controller/]

wilted_orchid

Aug 11, 2009
Well, that's all well and good, but the only problem won't be trips over the footstool and to A&E, but the fact that for many of us that isn't a football, which is kind of a bummer.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Why not just take patent on every form of sport gear for the Wii? With what's happening with Nintendo however, it doesn't seem impossible that they'll do.

Valkyira

Mar 13, 2009
You mean American football controller. Real football is what you guys call SOCCER

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
with all these ever more immersive gadgets to simulate playing recreational sports with friends; it makes me wonder why people dont just play recreational sports with friends

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
MetaKnight19 said:
this is almost as pointless as the saddle peripheral
More pointless, in my opinion. Where most people don't have easy access to a horse, anyone can get a football for what, $15?

This is all very nice, but why not just play football?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
That patent won't fly in the UK. I don't see any football controller, all I see is a guy watching TV, badly doing ballet and holding an egg.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I think this is probably more of a 'just-in-case' patent. What if EA filed the patent, made the controller and made millions on it. Nintendo would be looking at themselves saying 'Why didn't we think of that?'

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
bernthalbob616 said:
MetaKnight19 said:
More pointless, in my opinion. Where most people don't have easy access to a horse, anyone can get a football for what, $15?

Not everyone in this world has friends, you know.

Anyways, it's just another thing i won't buy.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Jamash said:
That patent won't fly in the UK.
Sure it would. You'd just have to rename it the Wii Rugby Controller.

I thought EA Sports would do something like this, but Nintendo? Just what are they planning?

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
bernthalbob616 said:
MetaKnight19 said:

i see your point.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Mr. Fister said:
Jamash said:
That patent won't fly in the UK.
Sure it would. You'd just have to rename it the Wii Rugby Controller.

I thought EA Sports would do something like this, but Nintendo? Just what are they planning?
All I see is a peripheral. Sony has a crap load of these, but I never usually see them hit the news, only every now and then. The chances of this coming is as probable as the saddle hitting retail. You'll probably never see it again.

olee12343

Jun 23, 2009
So if you're going to buy a nerf Wii football... why not play real football... outside...