Vader Fights His Replacements in Darth Vader 6 Preview

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Vader Fights His Replacements in Darth Vader 6 Preview

A set of preview pages from the upcoming issue of Darth Vader feature everyone's favorite dark lord duking it out with a band of lightsaber wielding cyborgs.

While Marvel's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comicsandcosplayreviews/12867-Star-Wars-1-Review>Star Wars and Princess Leia series have been strong additions to the franchise's new official canon, arguably the most interesting comic book to come out of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131015-Star-Wars-Comics-Leaving-Dark-Horse-for-Marvel-in-2015>Marvel's re-acquisition of the brand is <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/darth%20vader?os=darth+vader>Darth Vader. Setting aside the fact that it's provided a close in and markedly subtle examination of the Sith Lord's methods and motives, it's also delivered easily the coolest crop of new characters and concepts from all of the currently ongoing Star Wars comics.

Case in point, issue five of Darth Vader introduced a new team of lightsaber wielding, Force-less cyborgs designed to potentially replace Darth Vader as the Emperor's de factor enforcers. With issue six hitting comic book stores next week, Marvel has released a set of preview pages to get fans excited for Vader's impending battle to maintain his position in the Empire's structure of power.

The pages themselves come from the comic's opening portion and focus on the battle between Vader and the cyborgs. The action, all of which looks great per the usual standards of the comic, is accompanied by some narration from a new character named Cylo. The creator of the cyborgs, his dialogue is used primarily to shed light on the work that went into creating these anti-Vaders and why they're supposedly superior to the Sith and his silly antiquated Force powers. Suffice it to say we'll be interested to learn how the fight pans out when the book releases next week. Granted, the fact that this is an in-canon interquel means that Vader is pretty much guaranteed to survive, but we still look forward to finding out exactly how he bashes his way out of this particular predicament.
[gallery=4207]

Source: <a href=http://www.starwars.com/news/sith-lords-and-cyborgs-clash-in-darth-vader-6>Star Wars

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Wait so this is what is happening to Star Wars under Disney? Makes me really dubious about the new movies if a Sith abandoning the whole idea of actually being a Sith is their idea of good plot lines, the whole point of Vader is that he was his Apprentice. Sidious was Sith enough to ensure he had an apprentice to carry on the Sith teachings and ideology.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
J Tyran said:
Wait so this is what is happening to Star Wars under Disney? Makes me really dubious about the new movies if a Sith abandoning the whole idea of actually being a Sith is their idea of good plot lines, the whole point of Vader is that he was his Apprentice. Sidious was Sith enough to ensure he had an apprentice to carry on the Sith teachings and ideology.
Maybe he forsaw he would prevail against them and be stronger for it, if I recall he did similarly dangerous things while training Darth Maul.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
The synopsis makes this sound ungodly stupid. If the Emperor can churn out disposable cyborg supersoldiers, why in the name of heck is he having them fight what is pretty nearly his only real ally when he's got half a galaxy's worth of out-and-out enemies that need slaughtering?

Reading that text crawl I have to wonder: what sense does blaming Vader make? The Death Star was Tarkin's baby, not Vader's. Tarkin was the one who thought the Egg of Doom was uncrackable; Vader was out there trying to keep the Rebels from making it into an omelet. If anyone's got to have egg on his face, it ought to be Tarkin. He's already had his bacon fried so he can't argue back.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Veylon said:
The synopsis makes this sound ungodly stupid. If the Emperor can churn out disposable cyborg supersoldiers, why in the name of heck is he having them fight what is pretty nearly his only real ally when he's got half a galaxy's worth of out-and-out enemies that need slaughtering?

Reading that text crawl I have to wonder: what sense does blaming Vader make? The Death Star was Tarkin's baby, not Vader's. Tarkin was the one who thought the Egg of Doom was uncrackable; Vader was out there trying to keep the Rebels from making it into an omelet. If anyone's got to have egg on his face, it ought to be Tarkin. He's already had his bacon fried so he can't argue back.
Probably a good thing Tarkin is toast- otherwise the Emperor probably would have grilled him for his failure. I know if I scrambled the Emperor's plans with my arrogance, I would't want to stick around for him to fry me himself.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
As others have said.... whyyyyyyy?

If you have a program for churning out cyborgs that come remotely close to rivaling Darth Vader, why not just use them as well?
I thought Palpatine was supposed to be Lawful Evil, hence the whole "empire" thing he's got going. Why throw away an extremely valuable asset? Why blame Vader for something he had little to no involvement with? Why do any of this shit?

This looks like a very juvenile plot. Vader fights cyborgs with lightsabers! PEW PEW PEW!

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Braedan said:

If you have a program for churning out cyborgs that come remotely close to rivaling Darth Vader, why not just use them as well?
I thought Palpatine was supposed to be Lawful Evil, hence the whole "empire" thing he's got going. Why throw away an extremely valuable asset? Why blame Vader for something he had little to no involvement with? Why do any of this shit?
Well if you think about it, if he could replace Vader entirely with programmable/controllable cyborgs, he removes any threat of the age old tradition of the apprentice surpassing and killing the master. (Which turned out to be his actual downfall in the end)

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
ron1n said:
Braedan said:

Well if you think about it, if he could replace Vader entirely with programmable/controllable cyborgs, he removes any threat of the age old tradition of the apprentice surpassing and killing the master. (Which turned out to be his actual downfall in the end)
That's the whole point for a Sith though, they might not particularly want it and would avoid it and if capable of it kill the Apprentice if they had to (why waste a good apprentice unless they have to if the attempt was good or creative?) but if they fail they at least left the Sith Legacy in strong hands. Sith are not just bad guys with force powers, they are Ideologues as well.

Palpatine/Sidious from just the movies is clearly Sith to the bone, replacing Vader with another Apprentice fine but replacing him with just another set of Enforcers goes against the whole idea of the Sith.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Braedan said:

This looks like a very juvenile plot. Vader fights cyborgs with lightsabers! PEW PEW PEW!
Wait till it ends. It could still pull off a twist at the end where the entire point of this excursion was to prove to the outside world that Vader is still badass even after what happened at Yavin and thus pitting him against the best tech the galaxy could muster could be a giant PR move to restore his reputation. The Emperor is known to be a bit of a chessmaster like that, after all.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
But isnt the whole point of the Sith that the strong survive and the weak die? So Vader having to fight the robots work as they are his replacement and he has to kill them to prove he is still powerful. Even Darth Maul fought to Jedhi just to prove his strength and skill.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
The mini-series has read as if it were written by people who have heard of Vader and Palpatine but didn't do any research. Yes, Palpatine, in both the Del Rey books and the comics, would put Vader in these situations (setting a Hand or an organization against him) but it was always for a complex reason and it usually had some degree of subtlety to it. In the old EU, Palpatine even admitted that part of the reason why he kept Vader alive was that it made him stronger. Having an apprentice who would be willing to kill you as soon as they had caught up to your mastery was one of the ways a Master was forced to keep expanding their power. I know the old EU doesn't exist anymore but I was hoping that some of the tenets would have survived.

Still, even Dark Horse dropped the ball a number of times on their Darth Vader mini-series. It's a little early to declare the new universe a failure just because this series has been engaging in some eye-rollingly bad writing.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I can't say I like this. Sure, it goes without saying that if he wanted to, Palpatine could create a bunch of super-droids or whatever. But you're not supposed to acknowledge that. It's one of those things everybody knows but we pretend we don't, so that we'll get the stories we like. Sure, you could easily justify it by saying that Vader likes being hands-on, and that Palpatine trusts Vader to take care of himself. But in the end, the reason is that by doing things this way the stories are more fun.

That's the reason that nobody else builds arms like Doctor Octopus's, and that Two-Face doesn't just bomb the GCPD station when the Batsignal is shining and he knows Batman's going to be there, and that Jean Grey doesn't stop the Hulk single-handedly by just lifting him off the ground so that he can't touch anything, and that the Kingpin doesn't just buy vibro-blasters like the ones the Shocker has and give them to a hundred soldiers that Spider-Man couldn't possibly stop, and that pretty much every superhero hasn't got a bullet in the head at least once a week, and that literally tons of superheroes don't wear any kind of armour or any other protection.

We know it doesn't make sense. You're not supposed to acknowledge it in-story.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Really glad they threw away the EU for being a bloated mess so that they could hand it off to Marvel for a brand new bloated mess.