EVO Ditches Broken PS4 Street Fighter IV in Favor of Xbox Version

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
EVO Ditches Broken PS4 Street Fighter IV in Favor of Xbox Version

EVO, one of the biggest fighting tournaments in the world, has announced it is ditching the buggy PS4 port of Ultra Street Fighter IV.

When more bugs than an anthill [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139403-Ultra-Street-Fighter-IV-Will-Come-to-PS4]. Sony acknowledged the problem and promised to fix it, but EVO isn't taking any chances, scrapping the PS4 version of the game from it's roster in favor of the Xbox 360 edition.

"We are happy to announce that the Ultra SF4 tournament at EVO 2015 will be played on XBOX 360!" Tweeted Joey Cuellar [https://twitter.com/EvilMrWizard], one of the EVO organizers.

The Xbox 360 version of the game is the previously recognized community standard, as it featured a few slight improvements over its PS3 cousin (such as reduced input lag). Before the PS4 edition of the game was announced and subsequently released, the 360 version was to be featured at the tournament.

Source: Shoryuken [http://shoryuken.com/2015/05/30/ultra-street-fighter-iv-at-evo-2015-officially-returns-to-xbox-360/]

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Yeah...I've seen a few of the bugs. I genuinely wonder how it can be this botched.

That said, I actually like the visual glitch on the sonic boom. It actually looks like a sonic ripple in the air without the flashy effects. I hope they just make it a little more visually obvious and keep it. It was pretty good.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I don't get how they can be happy to announce their staying with old hardware because the new game is broken. Frankly why is Sony apologizing when Capcom are the shoddy developers that can't release a working game on a newer, more powerful AND more well known architect system (as it uses x86 every dev should be well versed in coding games for it) there is literally no excuse for Capcom's fuckup.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
RicoADF said:
I don't get how they can be happy to announce their staying with old hardware because the new game is broken.
From their perspective it means they won't have any moaning about having to play a broken game competitively, I can see why that would make the organisers happy.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
vonSanneck said:
Though in the age where Tetris gets a botched launch on a home console this is hardly surprising.
Is that an actual thing: Tetris getting a botched launch? Just curious because I really want to know how the hell you can fuck up with a Tetris game. :p

Edit: probably the same way you fuck up a quote box like I did. :p

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
RicoADF said:
I don't get how they can be happy to announce their staying with old hardware because the new game is broken. Frankly why is Sony apologizing when Capcom are the shoddy developers that can't release a working game on a newer, more powerful AND more well known architect system (as it uses x86 every dev should be well versed in coding games for it) there is literally no excuse for Capcom's fuckup.
From what I hear due to the relationship between Capcom and Sony, Capcom had no involvement in the Sony port and Sony hired the team that did this.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Winnosh said:
RicoADF said:
From what I hear due to the relationship between Capcom and Sony, Capcom had no involvement in the Sony port and Sony hired the team that did this.
...so THATS how ocean interactive got the job!

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
And Thank god. Besides for the few that prefer to play on the PS4 controller, this is good news. Although I did not play the new version, I have seen the videos and most players where calling it a bad port.

Arshaq13

Jun 9, 2012
RJ 17 said:
Is that an actual thing: Tetris getting a botched launch? Just curious because I really want to know how the hell you can fuck up with a Tetris game. :p

Edit: probably the same way you fuck up a quote box like I did. :p
It's true. Tetris on the ps4 had a very buggy launch.

fieryshadowcard

May 18, 2011
RicoADF said:
For once, this was actually out of Capcom's hands. It's more likely that Sony relegated Capcom to focusing solely on SFV while they themselves handled the port. And Sony for some reason chose Other Ocean Interactive, a company whose track record regarding the fucking up of fighting games was already well established before the SFIV port.

Michael Legault

Feb 27, 2013
vonSanneck said:
Again, this was supposed to be a port, not a full rework in say... Resident Evil for Gamecube. Though in the age where Tetris gets a botched launch on a home console this is hardly surprising.
While we are talking older versions: where is Super Turbo HD Remix? Or Alpha 3?
Alpha 3 is the shit. I bought the alpha anthology for ps2 just for it lol although I suck hard v. Cpu opponents and can't beat bison on easy... and you only get one chance too... always hated that part. Never gonna get evil ryu unlocked lol

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
vonSanneck said:
But yes, EVO seems to be only promoting new fighting games rather than hosting excellent fighting game tournaments. For the crouds there would be fun wasting some time with some Power Stone or even doing nonsense with M.U.G.E.N. But these are ideals from a man who thinks it would happen in this flawed world.
Well, they have to justify the costs of hosting such an event and the newer games is what brings in the crowds.
On top of that, you need a body of pro-players to actually play, otherwise you might spent considerable time and money for a little in return.

Besides, I pretty sure that they have arcade machines in the actual venue for people to play on the side while the tournaments is going on.
And finally, keep in mind that FGC is still kinda the "Niche" scene in eSports, it's not on the same level as DOTA or CS:GO in size and scale and there isn't nearly as much money being put into it, which limits what they can do.
It has been growing in recent years tho :D

Michael Legault

Feb 27, 2013
vonSanneck said:
Michael Legault said:
Alpha 3 is the shit. I bought the alpha anthology for ps2 just for it lol although I suck hard v. Cpu opponents and can't beat bison on easy... and you only get one chance too... always hated that part. Never gonna get evil ryu unlocked lol
Tekken 1 on PSx was revolutionary at the time, aged poorly and the bot difficulty is just bonkers. GL unlocking Heihachi there, if you have 6 months of wasting time or so...
But yes, EVO seems to be only promoting new fighting games rather than hosting excellent fighting game tournaments. For the crouds there would be fun wasting some time with some Power Stone or even doing nonsense with M.U.G.E.N. But these are ideals from a man who thinks it would happen in this flawed world.
Captcha: "butler did it" Yes... I agree the servants have a lot of bottled anger built up so they get good at even unfair difficulty fighting games...
My cousin could always unlock everything in fighting games. He could even do a few of the original brutalities in MK when it first came out... I was always jealous lol wish he played smash as it's my best game and I know he'd be a good opponent if he gave it the time of day. I try evey time one comes out but he just laughs it off :/