Best Video Game Cosplay at MomoCon 2015 - Raiden's Costume is Legitimately Illegal

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Best Video Game Cosplay at MomoCon 2015 - Raiden's Costume is Legitimately Illegal

MomoCon's cosplayers were decked out in some of the best gaming duds we've ever seen, and at least one costume was definitely against the law.

Read Full Article

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
I'd be sadder that my picture isn't here if it was actually any good.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Why would UV reactive contact lenses be illegal?
Health reasons?
I don't get it. XD

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
Health reasons?
I don't get it. XD
Yeah, I was going to ask the same thing. Considering the kind of contact lenses that are legal, I don't see why some that glow from black light would be. I mean, like you said, the only reason that makes any sense is if they are toxic in some way but...hell there is tons of stuff that is toxic but legal in the US. So yeah, I'm puzzled.

CrystalShadow

Apr 11, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
CrystalShadow said:
Health reasons?
I don't get it. XD
Yeah, I was going to ask the same thing. Considering the kind of contact lenses that are legal, I don't see why some that glow from black light would be. I mean, like you said, the only reason that makes any sense is if they are toxic in some way but...hell there is tons of stuff that is toxic but legal in the US. So yeah, I'm puzzled.
Yeah... I googled them, and all I got was a ton of sites that were selling them.
I mean, they weren't US sites (and I'm not in the US either so...)
But... Getting hold of them where I am, seems to be kinda trivial.
Makes it all the more weird really... XD

s0osleepie

May 20, 2010
CrystalShadow said:
Happyninja42 said:
CrystalShadow said:
Health reasons?
I don't get it. XD
Yeah... I googled them, and all I got was a ton of sites that were selling them.
It is illegal to sell colored contact lenses without a prescription in the United States and GA state regulations require they be sold by a US licensed eye-care professional. The chemicals used also must be FDA approved, and while I could be completely wrong, I have been unable to find a pair online of UV reflectives that were FDA approved. According to American Optometric Association, 24 percent of all cosmetic lenses purchased in the US are illegal.

CrystalShadow

Apr 11, 2009
s0osleepie said:
CrystalShadow said:
Happyninja42 said:
CrystalShadow said:
Health reasons?
I don't get it. XD
It is illegal to sell colored contact lenses without a prescription in the United States and GA state regulations require they be sold by a US licensed eye-care professional. The chemicals used also must be FDA approved, and while I could be completely wrong, I have been unable to find a pair online of UV reflectives that were FDA approved. According to American Optometric Association, 24 percent of all cosmetic lenses purchased in the US are illegal.
... Huh. Sounds like a real pain. Then again, different countries have different laws. I know in the UK where I lived for 8 years, novelty disposable contact lenses with colours or weird parterns were dirt-cheap and available over the counter at costume shops. (the kind of places that sell stuff you might expect someone to wear on halloween, or to a costume party)

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
s0osleepie said:
CrystalShadow said:
Happyninja42 said:
CrystalShadow said:
Health reasons?
I don't get it. XD
Holy crap. This might be the most well-researched comment that I've ever read.

ashkinaze

Nov 7, 2012
s0osleepie said:
CrystalShadow said:
Happyninja42 said:
CrystalShadow said:
Health reasons?
I don't get it. XD

I did a quick search for "UV Reactive Contact Lense Illegal US" (being an Aussie) and came up with this: http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ColorAdditives/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/ucm054076.htm#ftnref2

It's by the FDA, and according to the 'background' section the FDA restricts anything that uses colouring. It seems that (if you go to the little part that says (21 CFR 70.3(g)) and press the [2] reference) UV materials are NOT restricted by the FDA, on the basis that UV material alone does not alter the eye colour.

It seems, to me at least, that this whole restriction is about the ability to disguise oneself. It doesn't seem to be restricting it on many other grounds (such as chemical or biological danger), otherwise it would apply equally to UV and non-UV colouring. The FDA seems only to be worried about "affecting the colour of the eye", which I can only presume means reducing the ability of law enforcement to make an identification.

Give the site a peruse if you like, I didn't read the whole thing cos I'm not quite up to date with US legislation :p

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Was anyone else hoping instead for a costume of Raiden a la Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance with actual metal blades on his shoulders?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Legal or not though, let's be honest; the only reason it was brought-up in the fist place was to bait people into clicking through the images to find it.