Terraria is Coming to 3DS and Wii U

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Terraria is Coming to 3DS and Wii U

Nintendo fans will finally get to see what all this Terraria fuss is about.

Re-logic's sandbox Minecraft-alike official forums [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/terraria] that Terraria is indeed making its way to the 3DS and Wii U.

That was pretty much all the info she game us, stopping short of announcing any sort of release window or pricing information. Currently, the PC version of Terraria retails for $10, and the PS Vita version sits at $14.99, so you can probably expect the 3DS and Wii U editions to be somewhere around those prices.

This is a big change from a year ago, when 505 Games - the guys responsible for the console ports of Terraria - claimed to have no plans [http://www.polygon.com/2014/6/5/5781860/505-games-has-no-plans-to-launch-terraria-on-wii-u] for a Wii U version.

Terraria, with it's precision-based mining, building, and inventory management, seems like it would be a perfect fit for the touch-screen displays of the 3DS and the Wii U gamepad.

In recent Terraria news, we heard that Re-Logic was preparing a massive free content patch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/140939-Terraria-v1-3-Launches-June-30] set to release at the end of this month - perhaps to co-incide with the release of the Nintendo versions?

Source: Terraria Forums [http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?members/cenx.5/&page=17#profile-post-84128]

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
There will be no escape: Everyone will play terraria... EVERYONE!

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Well, if I can't play Minecraft on my 3ds, this is certainly the next best thing, I figure.

captcha: towel dry
No, towelie high.

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
What the hell is "precision based mining"? Is that an euphemism for "finicky controls"?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
The first sentence makes little sense considering that almost all Nintendo fans also have a secondary platform like PC or another console, so we do know what the fuss about Terraria is. I mean, was playing it since it came out, invest a shitload of time into it and now I'm patiently waiting for 1.3 to arrive at the end of the month.

That being said, I'm curious to see how it will play and how well Red will use the tablet controller. With the many free content updates, low price and constant support, Re-Logic to a fast shortcut to my favorite developer list so I'm keeping an eye on this.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Cool, I figure that it would work better on the 3ds then it did on the consoles. Playing it on my ps3 (At least the demo) was just asking for irritation due to the always having that limited range

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Janichsan said:
What the hell is "precision based mining"? Is that an euphemism for "finicky controls"?
I think it's in reference to the way it currently works on the iphone, which, I thought it was horrible to try and introduce Terraria on a mobile phone but it works pretty well. With the touch screen, you can put your finger on a specific spot and mine there (similar to the mouse over or highlight "precision mode" controls on the console).

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
SmugFrog said:
kenu12345 said:
limited range
Limited range of what?
Control. Do you know how awkward it is to play with two joysticks instead of being able to point where I want. It made it to where you almost always had to use the auto feature all the time

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
kenu12345 said:
Control. Do you know how awkward it is to play with two joysticks instead of being able to point where I want. It made it to where you almost always had to use the auto feature all the time
First off, I'm a huge fan of Terraria. I was deployed when it came out on the 360, and my girls saw it pop up on the dashboard and bought it (much to my wife's frustration that I hadn't locked out purchases). I'm actually glad they did, and I enjoy the console version for the local coop it offers.

I was skeptical of a console release as well, being used to the mouse feature of Terraria; and I won't deny that it took some time to get used to the controls. I assume when you're mentioning the precision mode and the auto mode you're talking about when you change the cursor from a + to a O, and rather than highlighting blocks individually you just use the O to point in the direction. It's not a perfect method, but I've found it works pretty well for what you can do with the controller. It just takes time to get the hang of it and switching between the 2 modes based on what you're doing.

I actually prefer the console over the mobile version, as the touching an area of the screen just takes too long when I could be just switching to the + and moving it directly where I want it - but with a stylus on the 3DS, that might work out pretty well, as close to having a mouse as you could. The only drawback might be the need to rapidly move and get your hands on the whole set of controls to switch weapons/fight/jump in sections of the game that require you to mine while defending yourself.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Wait, wasn't Terraria the game which came out in alpha/beta on the PC, promised huge overhauls to all sorts of stuff and then when it got a console version, the devs more or less told the PC crowd to go fuck themselves and never gave them updates any more?

Morsomk_v1legacy

RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA
Jan 30, 2013
Alleged_Alec said:
Wait, wasn't Terraria the game which came out in alpha/beta on the PC, promised huge overhauls to all sorts of stuff and then when it got a console version, the devs more or less told the PC crowd to go fuck themselves and never gave them updates any more?
No that was Starbound and the only link these two games have is that one of devs for Starbound worked as the sprite artist for the Terraria when it first came out. The sprite work back then was absolutely horrendous and some of the high end armour looked like something that was ripped out of older Final Fantasy games.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Morsomk said:
Alleged_Alec said:
No that was Starbound and the only link these two games have is that one of devs for Starbound worked as the sprite artist for the Terraria when it first came out. The sprite work back then was absolutely horrendous and some of the high end armour looked like something that was ripped out of older Final Fantasy games.
Huh. I don't know why I thought it was Terraria then. Oh well.

Janaschi

Scion of Delphi
Aug 21, 2012
Morsomk said:
Alleged_Alec said:
In no way is that Starbound that they were referring to. They have pretty damn solid updates on what is essentially a weekly-basis (sometimes 2 weeks, when there are larger updates). I do not know why people like to hate/exaggerate/outright lie upon Starbound. But its development cycle, ever since getting over that rough patch during the first months of release, has been pretty impressive, actually.

I honestly think that people like to project their failures of researching what the nightly/unstable/stable branches are, and how to switch between them in order to consistently play with new content, onto the developers. All it takes is a cursory glance on their website, of maybe 2 minutes or less, to get a rather detailed explanation as to what these branches are, and how to utilize them.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
Alleged_Alec said:
Morsomk said:
Alleged_Alec said:
Huh. I don't know why I thought it was Terraria then. Oh well.
Well, originally the devs for Terraria (Re-Logic) announced that they would be ceasing updates to the game back in early 2012.

Six months later though, we got the announcement for the console ports. This was followed by the revelation that these ports would have exclusive content - which got the fanbase super riled up.

However, the PC version did end up getting more content patches again starting with 1.2 in late 2013, and has had a veritable shit-ton of content added since.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
and the consoles should be getting updated to 1.2.3 soon, according to their website (which has info on exactly what is in the console update) and an app of some kind they spoke of, for xbone and ps4 users.

terraria and minecraft are things i buy multiple time.
i have terraria on 360 and pc via steam, and i would buy it for 3ds and wiiu (probably will end up buying it for both of them to be honest, since i use my 3ds anywhere and my wiiu in the winter when its too cold to be out of the livingroom)

same with minecraft, i have it on PC and 360. if i could get it on my 3ds (and wiiu aswell lol, i am greedy)i would get it too (have considered a vita for both but apart from that, only ff10-ff10-2 i would get with it so its not worth it just yet)