In Witcher 3, Size Matters

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
In Witcher 3, Size Matters

How much unique, interesting, varied, entertaining content does Witcher 3 really have?

Read Full Article

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Something that should be noted in regards to the question of how CD Projekt RED didn't go broke making this, is that they're still the guys operating GOG. They've publicly stated that most of the proceeds of that and of their past games are continuously reinvested in the development of newer games.

Which still probably leaves them with a considerably smaller budget than, say, Skyrim or Fallout due to a possible lack of other investors in Poland, so I'm still sharing the disbelief to a certain degree.

Objectable said:
Yet, it doesn't seem to have any black people.
Could... could we not do this? For once? Please?

murrow

Sep 3, 2014
I have no idea how this thing got made, or how the developer didn't go broke in the process.
My exact thoughts after playing this game. Mind you I'm still just 30 hours in.

If forthcoming titles follow this route, then we might have a new golden age of CRPGs.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
voleary said:
I have no idea how this thing got made, or how the developer didn't go broke in the process.
My exact thoughts after playing this game. Mind you I'm still just 30 hours in.
And the same thought will keep popping in your head 40, 50, 100+ hours in.

Joabbuac

Feb 23, 2010
Objectable said:
jurnag12 said:
When actual racists call the lack of black people a victory, that's a problem
I think we have bigger fish to fry with actual racist than their cheering over a videogame.

StraightToHeck

Booby booby bum bum.
Oct 13, 2010
you're right about everything EXCEPT that "every peasant having a unique voice performer" bit -- I've heard Blackwall's VA out of at least 4 different NPCs

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
It was made with magic, virgin hearts and gipsy tears. No mere mortal is capable of this. All that varied landscape? Not a hint of copy/paste? (Apart from the alarmingly creepy child clones.) This is nought but the work of the gods! Or mortals meddling with powers they need not be...or need be not...

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Objectable said:
jurnag12 said:
Yes, the Witcher 3 is really a epitome of racism in videogames.
Most racist piece of media since "Mein Kampf", it's despicable.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
jurnag12 said:
Something that should be noted in regards to the question of how CD Projekt RED didn't go broke making this, is that they're still the guys operating GOG. They've publicly stated that most of the proceeds of that and of their past games are continuously reinvested in the development of newer games.

Which still probably leaves them with a considerably smaller budget than, say, Skyrim or Fallout due to a possible lack of other investors in Poland, so I'm still sharing the disbelief to a certain degree.

They may have an advantage by being in Poland, due to the fact that I'm sure the price level is lower than other areas with lots of videogame developers, like large American cities, say San Francisco. And yet they can sell the game for the regular price of a videogame to western audiences.

Not trying to belittle their achievement, it's incredible what they've done, but it surely helps with personnel costs.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
jurnag12 said:

Well, even then, it apparently only had a 10.5 million dollar budget. Which is very small by AAA standards. So even if they were secured in their budget from GoG and the like, it's still very apparent they spent their money and time much more wisely than the norm.

Objectable said:
jurnag12 said:
Firstly, racists like it. Good for them?

Secondly, given that this was made by Polish people, and Poland is very, VERY, white it's hardly surprising that a group basing their works off an existing IP AND their cultural influences has that bleed through.

This is as valid an argument as complaining about not seeing black people in a Japanese-made period samurai piece.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Objectable said:
No black people in a fantasy game modeled after medieval Europe?! I'm shocked, simply shocked. I'm sure the real medieval Europe had LOADS of black people in it, right?

How about Poland, the country where this game was developed? Surely Poland has a racially diverse culture that wasn't in any way nearly entirely homogenized by the Holocaust in a way still impacting diversity today. Surely Poland isn't mostly entirely one big marshmellow country.[/sarcasm]

Look, it's game centered around a time and area (albeit with fantasy elements) that were vastly white made by developers in a culture that is almost entirely white.

Poland is comprised of 96.7% Ethnic Poles, .4% Germans, and .1% Belarusians and .1% Ukrainians. That's in order of magnitude. 97.3% of the population being white, that leaves only 3.7% of the entire population for which ALL other ethnicities to fall under and no other single group would be as much as .1%

Getting mad at them for this would literally be like getting mad at North Koreans for making a game set in ancient North Korea in which all characters are Asian.

Yeah, that's the culture they're from. It's cute to try and impose our own distribution of demographics on other nations but it's just ignorant of other cultures.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Lightknight said:
Objectable said:
No black people in a fantasy game modeled after medieval Europe?! I'm shocked, simply shocked. I'm sure the real medieval Europe had LOADS of black people in it, right?
And there is the cusp of my argument.
It is a fantasy game.
Fantasy, by its nature, is not reality.
So why are you talking about realism IN A GAME WITH MAGIC AND FUCKING ELVES.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Objectable said:
Poland man... What can ya do?

Not to say Poland is racist, but Slavic countries generally lack racial diversity. And as an artist you tend to base your work on what you see around you, and if all you see around you are white people...

It's similar to Japan. I mean, how many black people have you ever seen in a Ghibli movie that takes place in a non-Asian setting?

I seriously doubt CDPR was throwing white supremacists a bone by its exclusion of black people.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
Objectable said:
Poland man... What can ya do?

Not to say Poland is racist, but Slavic countries generally lack racial diversity. And as an artist you tend to base your work on what you see around you, and if all you see around you are white people...

It's similar to Japan. I mean, how many black people have you ever seen in a Ghibli movie that takes place in a non-Asian setting?

I seriously doubt CDPR was throwing white supremacists a bone by its exclusion of black people.
I don't think they were doing that either. Heck, I love this game. It's one of the best games I've played this year, almost as good as Love Is Strange.
But it still annoys me that they couldn't bother to include one black person.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Objectable said:
But it still annoys me that they couldn't bother to include one black person.
Why would there be black people there at all? The game is based on a mixture of folk tales and a real historical period, neither of which involved black people. Why should the developer include people that don't fit the setting to pander to the guilt of societies they're not members of?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I have to agree. It may not be the biggest game ever, but it surely is loaded with lots and lots of varying content, more-so that just about any game I have played in memory. And some of those quest lines are so long and feel good to progress through.

As for the issue with the lack of ethnic diversity: I don't really care. This is not a metric of how good or bad a game is. I don't care what a bunch of racists think about it.