Custom Warhammer 40K Army Brought to Life With LEGO

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Custom Warhammer 40K Army Brought to Life With LEGO

LEGO builder Kosmos Santosa has produced a collection of custom designed Warhammmer 40K units inspired by the popular tabletop game.

<a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/warhammer%2040k?os=warhammer+40k>Warhammer 40K is one of the most famous and complex tabletop games there is. That being the case, it's understandably served as the fodder for some fairly brilliant tributes over the years. Not surprisingly, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135946-Warhammer-40K-Goes-LEGO-in-Epic-Battle-Build>some of the most impressive have come from the world of LEGO. Take the work of Kosmas Santosa. A graphic designer and LEGO builder from Indonesia, he recently released a gallery of images showcasing his collection of custom LEGO builds inspired by Warhammer 40K and its universe.

Dubbed "Warhammer 50k," Santosa's build is comprised of units that he designed himself after being introduced to 40K by a friend. His "reimagined" set includes a variety of soldiers and vehicles, including his own personal take on the space marine, mech suits, some nifty looking tanks and even some orc baddies for them to fight against. Santosa built his Warhammer army as a submission for Iron Builder, a competition hosted by the private LEGO community <a href=http://builderslounge.proboards.com/thread/1959>the Builder's Lounge. This will be Santosa's twenty-fourth submission to the competition and, according to Santosa himself, it took longer to plan and build than any he's done previously.

More than anything, Santosa's build, in our opinion, drives home just how much we need LEGO to produce some official Warhammer 40K construction sets. After all, if the KRE-O guys <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126054-Hasbro-Reveals-KRE-O-Dungeons-Dragons-Play-Sets>can land Dungeons & Dragons, why can't LEGO work something out with Games Workshop to give us official sets so that the rest of us untalented rubes can have LEGO brick space marines rocking around our houses?
[gallery=4253]

Source: <a href=https://www.flickr.com/photos/kosmassantosa/albums>Kosmos Santosa

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
No no no. Games Workshop would never agree to that. LEGO is so much cheaper than their miniatures that everyone would just start playing 40k with LEGO! (Which wouldn't be a bad thing, but would hurt their oh-so-important profit margins...)

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Of all the companies, Games Workshop would probably get along best with Lego. They're both in the business of selling insanely overpriced plastic to people.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Soviet Heavy said:
Of all the companies, Games Workshop would probably get along best with Lego. They're both in the business of selling insanely overpriced plastic to people.
LEGOs prices are still too cheap for Games Workshop though.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Zontar said:
Soviet Heavy said:
To be fair that could be said of anyone compared to GW.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Soviet Heavy said:
Zontar said:
Soviet Heavy said:
I disagree, there are plenty of anime companies in Japan (and even a few in the West) who are willing to massively overcharge for their products.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Zontar said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Zontar said:
Soviet Heavy said:
I disagree, there are plenty of anime companies in Japan (and even a few in the West) who are willing to massively overcharge for their products.
Even a lot of GW's competitors charge similar if not higher prices on a per-model basis. You don't need half as many models to play most of those games, but they're still like 5$ per infanatry-sized model or more in the egregious cases.

That being said, I would really dig a lego set where they do some 40k style buildings or, like, space ships or something on a larger scale than those tiny tiny battlefleet gothic models.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Quazimofo said:
Even a lot of GW's competitors charge similar if not higher prices on a per-model basis. You don't need half as many models to play most of those games, but they're still like 5$ per infanatry-sized model or more in the egregious cases.
5$ per infantry-sized model? When did GW lower their prices? It was twice as much where I live last time I checked, and that was some time ago.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Whelp - now we know what Lego Worlds is going to be used for. If you can create custom drivable vehicles... and if the tank treads exist in the game - oh boy... that game just became a lot more interesting

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Sigh...
I always hate these type of galleries, because I know how hard those guys worked on that army, and how passionate and dedicated they must be...

And it looks horrible!! They just look like Lego guys from the Space boxes. If it wasn't flagged at 40k, I would have never guessed. I mean the robots look kinda, very only sorta' kinda' at that, like Dreadnoughts...but that's where any similarities end. I mean the tank kinda' looked like a Spartan Land Raider, in so much as it looks like a British Mrk V tank, which the Spartan is based off of. So...I guess first cousins twice removed?

Its like going to a piano recital where the pianist only has one arm. Yeah its freaking amazing they're even preforming and mad props for it and all...but it never sounds good.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Zontar said:
Quazimofo said:
5$ per infantry-sized model? When did GW lower their prices? It was twice as much where I live last time I checked, and that was some time ago.
Geezus they have gone up haven't they? Only thing that's less than $5 per that I can see is a box of Guardians and the basic guardsmen infantry units (and of course hormagaunts/termagaunts. All of the swarmy units really.)

Of course, some of the really old metal things they probably haven't so much as looked at in 5 years are cheaper, not unlike some of the really old stuff in privateer press's range, but anything even relatively recent is pricey as hell! Thank god I stopped playing that a while back.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Silentpony said:
I mean the tank kinda' looked like a Spartan Land Raider, in so much as it looks like a British Mrk V tank, which the Spartan is based off of. So...I guess first cousins twice removed?
Pretty sure that's not intended to be a Spartan.

With that huge front gun I get the impression its supposed to be a Vindicator sans siege shield. Given that the tank with the huge rocket pod on top is obviously a Whirlwind and the relative model sizes.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Lightspeaker said:
Silentpony said:
I mean the tank kinda' looked like a Spartan Land Raider, in so much as it looks like a British Mrk V tank, which the Spartan is based off of. So...I guess first cousins twice removed?

With that huge front gun I get the impression its supposed to be a Vindicator sans siege shield. Given that the tank with the huge rocket pod on top is obviously a Whirlwind and the relative model sizes.
Actually its supposed to be a Typhon Heavy Siege Tank.
Which is built on the Spartan chassis .

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Silentpony said:
Lightspeaker said:
Silentpony said:

Really? Huh. The more you know. Never seen that one before.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Lightspeaker said:
Silentpony said:
Lightspeaker said:
Silentpony said:

Really? Huh. The more you know. Never seen that one before.
I think it's a Forge World model.

I have to say, mad props to him on somehow making his Dreadnought have even larger cauldrons than the normal one, that thing must be invincible!