The Movies Behind Castles 2

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Movies Behind Castles 2

Castles 2 featured FMVs pulled from a pair of cinema classics. We check them out to see if they're any good.

Read Full Article

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
"Unfortunately, while the film's action and imagery is nothing short of magnificent, I found most of the rest of it to be markedly lackluster."

This is pretty much how I felt about the only soviet film I've ever watched, Battleship Potemkin. Some great imagery, but the plot is just total propaganda and not very deep or interesting.

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
Divergence perhaps, but an interesting read all the same. You took a risk and it worked!

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
Well, for plot, go for Ivan the Terrible - and make sure to watch the 2 parts, the 1st one would let you think Eisenstein is too sympathetic towards Ivan.

For Nevsky, indeed, the plot is so-so and the main interest of the movie lies with the awesome production values in design, cinematography and music, all amazing. This goes for other Eisenstein movies, but Alexander Nevsky and Ivan the Terrible are really at the top.
But then, both movies arguably have the best soundtracks ever done.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Random Gamer said:
Well, for plot, go for Ivan the Terrible - and make sure to watch the 2 parts, the 1st one would let you think Eisenstein is too sympathetic towards Ivan.

For Nevsky, indeed, the plot is so-so and the main interest of the movie lies with the awesome production values in design, cinematography and music, all amazing. This goes for other Eisenstein movies, but Alexander Nevsky and Ivan the Terrible are really at the top.
But then, both movies arguably have the best soundtracks ever done.
Unfortunately, in the version I watched, the soundtrack was almost inaudible. Was kind of a bummer because I had read that it was good.

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
Oh bummer, that's pretty annoying.
Well, thankfully both Alexander Nevsky and Ivan the Terrible were turned into concert suites by Prokofiev and can be found on CD or online - probably even on Youtube. Well, assuming you're into classical epic kind of music, that is :D