King's Quest Returns in New 5-Episode Series

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
King's Quest Returns in New 5-Episode Series

The first episode of the new King's Quest is coming this July.

Read Full Article

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Looks interesting, although I think it needs some improvements as well. I've never played a KQ game myself, but I've seen others play it and it looked pretty good (All things considering).

I may get this.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm kind of skeptical about this. The Kings Quest series has always had issues with gameplay, including a fair bit of moon logic, invisible checkpoints and rampant PC murder. The last two games in the series were, to put it kindly, not great.

My other problem is that Sierra hasn't put out a decent adventure game(and barely any adventure games at all) in 15 years. They apparently decided they weren't interested and just let their series die. I'm not even sure they have anyone working there anymore who knows what an adventure game even is.

I'd have more faith, frankly, if Sierra had just licensed the IP to Telltale and let them do what they do best: Take IPs that nobody thought could be good games and make good, even great, series out of them.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
Dalisclock said:
My other problem is that Sierra hasn't put out a decent adventure game(and barely any adventure games at all) in 15 years. They apparently decided they weren't interested and just let their series die. I'm not even sure they have anyone working there anymore who knows what an adventure game even is.
Yeah, that's not what happened. Sierra didn't choose to let their franchises die, they were kinda forced to. They were bought out by another company who turned out to be corrupt and to cover their asses the corrupt company sold them to a french company who had no interest in the games and pretty much laid off all the game developers and used Sierra as a publishing husk of what it used to be. They didn't really come back from that other than a few jumps on the corpse of Leisure Suit Larry to create some games better left unsaid.

As for the game it looks interesting, young king graham seems very guybrush threepwoody not sure how I feel about that but I'm just happy to have a kings quest game. And is that Christopher Lloyd as old Graham cause I'm all for that.

They probably won't but I hope they get Josh Mandel to voice king graham since he's "the voice" of king graham whenever there is voice acting, he seemed perfectly happy to do the voices for the fan remakes can't see why he'd say no here.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
fluxy100 said:
Dalisclock said:
Yeah, that's not what happened. Sierra didn't choose to let their franchises die, they were kinda forced to. They were bought out by another company who turned out to be corrupt and to cover their asses the corrupt company sold them to a french company who had no interest in the games and pretty much laid off all the game developers and used Sierra as a publishing husk of what it used to be. They didn't really come back from that other than a few jumps on the corpse of Leisure Suit Larry to create some games better left unsaid.
I actually did not realize that. I saw that they ended up under the Activison/Blizzard Umbrella but didn't realize they were pretty much forced to stop make adventure games from above. I kind of assumed they did the same thing Lucasarts did and decided they just didn't care about adventure games anymore.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
Dalisclock said:
fluxy100 said:
Dalisclock said:
I actually did not realize that. I saw that they ended up under the Activison/Blizzard Umbrella but didn't realize they were pretty much forced to stop make adventure games from above. I kind of assumed they did the same thing Lucasarts did and decided they just didn't care about adventure games anymore.
It was a really crappy way for the company that founded computer adventure games to go, they didn't even get a really clean death like the studio shutting down or something like that.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Hmm. Sounds like Christopher LLoyd.

I wonder how this will work out. Still, could be worse. Having completed the first 7 kings quest game, I'm quite familiar with the king's quest games, and characters.
The kingdom of daventry, king graham, his son alexander, his daughter Rosella, his wife queen Valanice...
Interesting family. XD
Does make me wonder though. If that's King Graham's grand-daughter, whose child is she?

Anyway, I hope they aren't TOO faithful to the originals. Those had some wonky, messed up elements.
The worst of which only stopped being part of the series in king's quest 7...
Took them a long time to figure out some of that stuff is a bad idea...