The Last Guardian Officially Revealed (Again)

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Last Guardian Officially Revealed (Again)

Sony has finally lifted the curtain on the long-forgotten Last Guardian.

Read Full Article

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Oh precious baby griffin thing, I neeeeeed it!

*cough* I mean I'm glad to see this game is coming along after so long of a wait.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Awesome, makes me ever so slightly less disappointed about buying a PS4 just for Bloodborne.

Not expecting a tour de force out of this title, but as long as it brings the charms and the feels of its predecessors I'll be happy. The video is a little wonky in how it played out... the part with the falling platforms was a little to obviously overplayed for drama (the kid just standing around while it SLOWLY collapsed around him).

Otherwise, the creature is brilliantly animated. It's like they crossed Yorda with Agro and made the hybrid a Colossus. I'm looking forward to it.

Blacklight28

Nov 27, 2013
Is it just me or is the kid rendered in a completely different art style than everything else? Other than that it looks gorgeous.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Trusting a mythical beast or no, that was one heck of a jump. I don't know if I would have been able to do that. Also, grip of steel to be able to hang on to that griffon while it was moving like that.

Looks good. Got some serious Ico feel from it, which I approve of. Now if it will just actually come out, all will be well.

So Valve, Team Ico got their stuff together, despite years of delays. Care to learn anything from that?

ShogunGino

Oct 27, 2008
Whether or not it "lives up to expectations" is always an irrelevant concern to me. Everything out there has the potential to be either crap or gold, so I just go in with as minimal expectations that I can so as not to judge it before it releases. That said, I predict it to be a great experience more so than a great game. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Shadow of the Colossus, but it's by no means perfect. One does hope that after all these years of work, they've got something pretty well polished, but I'm not going to get ahead of myself and say that it's going to be a masterpiece. I hope it will be, but it may very well not.

That said, I'm glad it's finally coming out, and I'm excited, despite myself.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I wanted a trailer.
I wanted screenshots.
I wanted testimonials from some random intern.
I wanted SOMETHING to show this game was still alive.

But no...they gave us gameplay. Motherfucking GAMEPLAY.

That'll do, Ueda-san. That'll do.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well son of a *****.

Err... I mean, I never stopped believing! I kept the faith!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I was watching the presser with a friend of mine and he literally heard a grown woman squee like a 5 year old.

I don't care about the rest of E3, I just want more of bird puppy.

And I want a plushie of said bird puppy, and they can have all my fucking money. ALL OF IT.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Blacklight28 said:
Is it just me or is the kid rendered in a completely different art style than everything else? Other than that it looks gorgeous.
Yeah I found it very distracting. Like a regular AAA video game in terms of lighting, and we just have some kid who could probably be in a cell-shaded game if they tweaked him just a little.

Other than, that, I'm still surprised that this game exists.

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
I get the feeling if they keep that slowmo during every jump like in the video its going to get pretty old.

Also, the griffon thing is too damn adorable. I give a 90% chance that it dies.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I like how "clean" everything looks in the trailer. I mean, there's no grip strength indicator, no life bars, nothing. That's refreshing.

What I don't like very much is the release date. 2016. Kind of vague, but I'm okay with it. Just reminds me of the time it was listed on Amazon as coming "December 31, 2014" or something like that.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Blacklight28 said:
Evonisia said:
Yeah I found it very distracting. Like a regular AAA video game in terms of lighting, and we just have some kid who could probably be in a cell-shaded game if they tweaked him just a little.
It's to make him stand out more since the camera is very zoomed out. It's so you can instantly spot him amidst the chaos and the feathers of the griffin.

OT: I'll be a goddamn son of *****... There it is!

While I am extremely happy that we'll FINALLY get to play this game, some of it seems a bit generic, with the 'use griffin to lower platform' and 'get rid of scary idol to grant griffin access'. Though this might be because while this game was stuck in developement hell other 'boy and his beast' games have come out, so now the concept just isn't as unique anymore. The Shadow of the Colossus climbing together with the Ico A.I. companion will certainly make this a facinating game to play though.

I do wonder how much creative input Fumito Ueda really had in this production though. I keep hearing tales of 'Oh yeah, he's working on it freelance', but why? Why leave if he's going continue working on it anyway? Atleast we will get to see the end result and how much of an impact him leaving the project ultimately had.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
And I want a plushie of said bird puppy, and they can have all my fucking money. ALL OF IT.
Yes, the only other game I've ever wanted a plushie so badly for was Bioshock Infinite when I saw the songbird plush in Columbia.

Now it's griffin puppy's turn

Sep 13, 2009
Well damn... I wasn't sure if the rumors were actually going to be true.

Now, not that I'm not very excited about this (Although I'm not too keen on having to buy a PS4 to play it), but this trailer really doesn't look much different from the original 2009 one. 6 years of development hell, and... we have a trailer that looks almost identical. I thought the development time would have warranted some substantial changes to it (I was secretly hoping for a female protagonist following Ueda's "Girls aren't strong enough to climb" episode)

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
It lost me as a customer long ago. I would've gladly gotten it on the PS3, but it still doesn't justify buying a new console.
Unfortunate, but life goes on.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't understand the fan obsession with this game. I mean it looks really pretty, and I'd love to play it, but the level of devotion for years on the part of the gaming community puzzles me.

Why?

It's not the continuation of a game line, it's an independent IP if I recall correctly.

It's not an updated version of a classic game.

Is it just the "omg the cute kitty/griffin/luck dragon thing is so adorable and fluffy I could just die!"

I mean seriously, is it just this:

spread across the entire internet?

I mean, people are devoted to this thing like they are to Firefly, and it's never actually even been released.

Sep 13, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
Really, it's not so much about the game itself, as the people who're behind it. Shadow of the Colossus and Ico are two of my favorite games. While they're certainly not perfect, it's given me enough of an idea of what sort of games they make, and I want more of them