Guerrilla Games Unveils Horizon: Zero Dawn

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Guerrilla Games Unveils Horizon: Zero Dawn

Horizon: Zero Dawn will pit a primitive, post-apocalypse humanity against sentient machine animals.

Read Full Article

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
This actually sounds really interesting. A post apocalypse game where the theme ISN'T how humanity is the source of all poisons? And tribes trying to peacefully co-exist in the face of an existential threat rather than turning into raiders!? What the hell is the world coming to?

This is the first piece of E3 news that has me genuinely curious.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
It looks super interesting and I already like the protagonist. The world looks gorgeous and it's not just a run of the mill post apocalypse game with gritty people in it trying to survive. It looks like, and there are robot dinos!

I really hope to see more of it throughout the week for more details.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Soviet Heavy said:
This actually sounds really interesting. A post apocalypse game where the theme ISN'T how humanity is the source of all poisons? And tribes trying to peacefully co-exist in the face of an existential threat rather than turning into raiders!? What the hell is the world coming to?

Funny because I was reading a very heavy green asop. It looks soo cool though. Cavewoman hunting robots. That is a very fresh take on the post human genera. I want to hear more about it. I read a bit that said it was an RPG. I hope we get a open world because it's just the kind of setting that begs for it. I hate to see a game with a wonderful setting, but game that doesn't let you explore it.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
nomotog said:
Soviet Heavy said:

Funny because I was reading a very heavy green asop. It looks soo cool though. Cavewoman hunting robots. That is a very fresh take on the post human genera. I want to hear more about it. I read a bit that said it was an RPG. I hope we get a open world because it's just the kind of setting that begs for it. I hate to see a game with a wonderful setting, but game that doesn't let you explore it.
Supposedly, the devs have been hiring folks with experience in open world sandboxes, which, if true, would certainly be... indicative. I heard that secondhand, but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to confirm via Linkedin.

Sep 24, 2008
I was completely into this until Aloy "Nathan Drake'd" her way through that entire fight.

You can't build that kind of atmosphere and that kind of dire circumstances, in a far reaching time period... and have her sound like one of today's run-of-the-mill swarmy protagonist number 34267.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Huh. If this game manages to maintain this same level of promise as it get closer to release, I might actually start considering getting a PS4. This looked really cool.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
ObsidianJones said:
I was completely into this until Aloy "Nathan Drake'd" her way through that entire fight.

You can't build that kind of atmosphere and that kind of dire circumstances, in a far reaching time period... and have her sound like one of today's run-of-the-mill swarmy protagonist number 34267.
Nearly every single fucking game these days has some fucking smarmy, unfunny douchebag protagonist. Naughty Dog has ruined modern gaming forever.

List

Sep 29, 2013
From what was shown, I'm guessing the gameplay would be very similar to tomb raider and uncharted. But I'm hoping for a monster hunter like game. You fight larger and larger zoids.

Interesting setting. Though I've got to wonder how those mechanized animals reproduce. Do they reproduce or do they have a limited number? If not, then the obvious storyline would go along the lines of a group of "old ones" making those things.

On another note I hate the Protagonist already.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Honstely this was the only interesting thing in the whole Sony conference. Currently Sony is the second worse, right after EA.

I like the aesthetics of the game and the music (at least what we have heard). The gameplay reminds me of Monster Hunter in a way. It kinda looks like fast paced Monster Hunter meets Transformers. I don't plan getting a PS4 (probably because I can't get one even if I want one) but I will keep an eye on this game.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
This game is seriously making me consider getting a PS4 sooner. I had always intended to get one but damn, that looked awesome.

Johnlives

Dec 6, 2009
Reminds me a bit of Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. Although whilst civilization was collapsing I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to build robot dinosaurs... Actually it's always a good idea to build robot dinosaurs.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
jhoroz said:
ObsidianJones said:

Nearly every single fucking game these days has some fucking smarmy, unfunny douchebag protagonist. Naughty Dog has ruined modern gaming forever.
She did apologize to the watcher she killed, so maybe the character will have more depth then a nation drake. Or they could just end up being all over the map in characterization. (90% of her lines were her spelling out what she was doing though.)

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Supahewok said:
nomotog said:
Soviet Heavy said:

Supposedly, the devs have been hiring folks with experience in open world sandboxes, which, if true, would certainly be... indicative. I heard that secondhand, but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to confirm via Linkedin.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/15/announcing-horizon-zero-dawn/

It says it is open world there. That is good. Though the kind of open world would be the next question. It's too soon to speculate too much, but I kind of hope it works out like a hunting sim of sorts with robots. You know how you would have to use stealth and tactics to take down big beasts. (I hope they don't just cram it full of meatless side quests.)

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
She probably won't speak quite as much in actual gameplay I'd say. Game looks awesome, just wish it would eventually come to PC - don't have a PS4, and I rarely play the PS3 I have.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
jhoroz said:
ObsidianJones said:

Her dialogue didn't sound nearly as "wink wink nudge nudge" as that of a lot recent protagonists. I didn't really get a smarmy vibe either - and definitely not a douchebag vibe. HOWEVER, I totally agree it was unessecarily chatty. I really hate this trend in gaming and I don't know what function the developers think it serves. I really hope her dialogue doesn't end up telling you how to beat bosses or survive fights. And it sounds like that might have been happening a bit. That would actually be a deal-breaker for me. Sunset Overdrive sounded like torture from playthroughs I checked out. I think Woolfe was among the worst ever. The constant quips and the inconsistant tone of the dialogue was just god-aweful. Bosses in games are overly chatty too. They talk whilst being punched in the face. They say things that are irrelevant to the action on screen at the time.

Seriously, what is with the ridiculous chatty gaming now?

Despite that, this does look awesome and I really want to play it and I really want it to be good. Just please tone down the monologuing a bit won't you? There's no pithy commentary in Blood Borne, or Monster Hunter from our protagonists in the middle of a fight or navigating the terrain. And it's fantastic.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
vagabondwillsmile said:
jhoroz said:
ObsidianJones said:

Her dialogue didn't sound nearly as "wink wink nudge nudge" as that of a lot recent protagonists. I didn't really get a smarmy vibe either - and definitely not a douchebag vibe. HOWEVER, I totally agree it was unessecarily chatty. I really hate this trend in gaming and I don't know what function the developers think it serves. I really hope her dialogue doesn't end up telling you how to beat bosses or survive fights. And it sounds like that might have been happening a bit. That would actually be a deal-breaker for me. Sunset Overdrive sounded like torture from playthroughs I checked out. I think Woolfe was among the worst ever. The constant quips and the inconsistant tone of the dialogue was just god-aweful. Bosses in games are overly chatty too. They talk whilst being punched in the face. They say things that are irrelevant to the action on screen at the time.

Despite that, this does look awesome and I really want to play it and I really want it to be good. Just please tone down the monologuing a bit won't you? There's no pithy commentary in Blood Borne, or Monster Hunter from our protagonists in the middle of a fight or navigating the terrain. And it's fantastic.
Smarmy douchebag was an inappropriate description, but yeah, I wish she'd shut up for at least a second. The recent Ratchet and Clank trailers also have him running his mouth constantly (along with Quark chiming in every 5 seconds which is even WORSE) and as a long time fan of the series, it's really grating and annoying.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
jhoroz said:
vagabondwillsmile said:
jhoroz said:
ObsidianJones said:

Smarmy douchebag was an inappropriate description, but yeah, I wish she'd shut up for at least a second. The recent Ratchet and Clank trailers also have him running his mouth constantly (along with Quark chiming in every 5 seconds which is even WORSE) and as a long time fan of the series, it's really grating and annoying.
I guess they use all the chatter so they don't have to flash up words on the screen telling you how to fight.

Nergui

Dec 13, 2013
This bears a LOT of similarity to The Tribe [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tribe_%28TV_series%29]

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Nergui said:
This bears a LOT of similarity to The Tribe [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tribe_%28TV_series%29]
Aside from there being tribes, what would those similarities be then? And I'm talking similarities to The Tribe, not the post apocalyptic genre in general.