Gallery: These Games Have Come a Long Way

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Gallery: These Games Have Come a Long Way

A gallery of video game titles, "then and now," that showcases some of the visual advancements the industry has made over the years.

I vividly remember the release of the Super Nintendo. "Oh my god, look at these graphics!" I did the same with the release of the Nintendo 64, Playstation, and every console to follow.

Video games have done nothing if not evolve. From year to year, titles are consistently wow-ing players with their utilization - and pushing - of the hardware supporting them. With E3 kicking off earlier this week, this is a trend guaranteed to continue. Retro has a different meaning to different people - one day, the games that were announced this week will join the ranks of their "retro" predecessors. In the meantime, let's take a look back at 15 games, and how far they've come since their early days.

[gallery=4297]

shadowxvii

Jan 9, 2013
Might want to pick something a bit more recent than Jedi Knight to represent current Star Wars game

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
shadowxvii said:
Might want to pick something a bit more recent than Jedi Knight to represent current Star Wars game
That moment when there's nothing more recent that actually shows a significant graphical upgrade ;_;

But yeah, outside of graphics, I find it slightly depressing how little most of these games have evolved.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Yeah, it's amazing how detailed and sharp some of these games are. The new technology can certainly make it easier to immerse yourself in these games. Advance Warfare looked both bland and pretty at the same time.

That's not true for all though, especially if you're comparing to Gen 4 and up, because sometimes those simpler designs are more effective.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
shadowxvii said:
That moment when there's nothing more recent that actually shows a significant graphical upgrade ;_;

But yeah, outside of graphics, I find it slightly depressing how little most of these games have evolved.
There's always Jedi Knight Dark Forces?

The bearded wonder shall always be remembered.