Release Date Announced For 1TB PlayStation 4 in Select Areas

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Release Date Announced For 1TB PlayStation 4 in Select Areas

The 1TB PS4 Ultimate Player Edition will launch on July 15 in "select Europe and PAL territories," Sony has revealed.

The 1TB PlayStation 4 will offer "twice the storage of the existing PS4," the blog post [http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015/06/22/new-1tb-ps4-ultimate-player-edition-launches-next-month/] reads. "You'll be able to download more of the games you love to your PS4, extend your play with more great add-on content and save and share even more of your best gaming highlights."

Certification documents that were recently made public [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141000-Sony-Preparing-New-PS4-With-1-Terabyte-HDD] by the FCC confirmed that Sony had registered a pair of new "Computer Entertainment Systems," with one featuring the impressive 1TB hard drive. Earlier this month we reported that, in April, Sony filed a request to the FCC asking that they delay revealing details about the equipment to the public in order to avoid giving its competitors "an unfair advantage in the market."

The announcement comes two weeks after Microsoft revealed the Xbox One, which comes with a 1TB hard drive as well as a new controller design. Buyers in select regions also got a free copy of Halo: The Master Chief Collection with their purchase.

There is currently no release date for the 1TB PS4 in other territories. As for the price, Sony recommends you speak with your local retailer.

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Well it's about damn time. It was bad enough that they launched without one.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Morti said:
Well it's about damn time. It was bad enough that they launched without one.
I am beginning to think Sony and MS both went with smaller drives at launch not only to save a few Yen/Dollars per console, but to have the bigger drive be a big selling point when they did release new SKUs. It was still a poor move for both to be so limited, especially for the xbone since its drive is behind warranty void stickers,

OT: They might as well have announced they will have a 1TB PS4 in several regions by the end of the year at E3. From what I read and heard from others I've spoken with, even with the user-replaceable HDD feature, people still don't want to get a PS4 yet. Some are too scared of something going wrong when swapping the drive, and the PS4 doesn't have a USB drive option to expand the 500 GB.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Meh I already plan to put a 3TB drive in my PS4 when I can be bothered, after all my PS3 already has 1TB so the next one needs more. The difference between Sony and Microsoft, if Microsoft doesn't release a larger hard drive your stuffed, where as Sony will take any 2.5" disk.
Hairless Mammoth said:
OT: They might as well have announced they will have a 1TB PS4 in several regions by the end of the year at E3. From what I read and heard from others I've spoken with, even with the user-replaceable HDD feature, people still don't want to get a PS4 yet. Some are too scared of something going wrong when swapping the drive, and the PS4 doesn't have a USB drive option to expand the 500 GB.
Seriously? People are scared of swapping hard drives? It's not rocket science.