Master of Orion Remake Preview: The Old Becomes New

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Master of Orion Remake Preview: The Old Becomes New

Master of Orion is returning with updated graphics, new music and the best elements of the subsequent MoO and 4x strategy games.

Read Full Article

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
If XCOM can be re-done right no reason that this can't be done right as well. I'm all for streamlining the more tedious gameplay aspects into a "boardgame" like feel.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
There is no way it can be worse than Master of Orion 3, the biggest disappointment in all of gaming for me. However, can it possibly compete with Master of Orion 2? Probably not. Nothing can. We can just wait and see.

Also, I hope they don't remove the turn based combat because that was one of my favorite aspects of Master of orion 2.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Old news!! ,)

But a bit more fleshed out than the other previews I've read. Thanks!

I've played all MoO's and my favorite is.. Master of Orion III.
*awaits the coming storm*

It all sounds good so far, and as long as they don't turn it into Real-Time or Multiplayer focused, they will have a best-seller on their hands. If they stay true to lore, that is. For me, DRM is also a factor but I'm peculiar that way.
Even if it ends up with bland reviews, people will buy it because "Moo2 REMAKE!!".

They have a lot of expectations riding on their shoulders, perhaps too much to ever measure up.
I've also heard that Wargaming.net is only the publishers and that another studio that haven't done Turn-based strategy before is developing it?
It may only be unsubstantiated rumor though..Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it.

I should read the article more clearly in the future..I will let my folly stand as a reminder..

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Old news!! ,)

I've also heard that Wargaming.net is only the publishers and that another studio that haven't done Turn-based strategy before is developing it?
It may only be unsubstantiated rumor though..Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it.
From the story: The developer is an Australian Studio called NGD Studios. Apparently, they are MoO fans. (http://www.ngdstudios.com/)

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
John Keefer said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Old news!! ,)

From the story: The developer is an Australian Studio called NGD Studios. Apparently, they are MoO fans. (http://www.ngdstudios.com/)
Darn, that was quick of you. ^^
Though I had realized my error already and edited my post, I can only apologize.

If Wargaming.net had done it themselves I would not feel as skeptical as I do since they have released several turn-based games, but I will let their game speak for itself.
"Never look a gifted horse in the mouth", right?

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Hmmm... you have my attention Wargaming... You have my attention. Just please don't copy Glactic Civ... that game initself was a poor imitation of MoO2.

Look it's actually very easy to do. Just remember, USe MoO2 as your template and forget MoO3. Nothing from that game is worth keeping.

As said you have my attention and you have aroused my hope... screw this up and my wrath shall be like unto that of ShubNiggurath and her 1000 young!

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
John Keefer said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Old news!! ,)

If they have their office in Buenos Aires, I would say they are Argentinians not Australians.

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
enginieri said:
John Keefer said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Old news!! ,)

If they have their office in Buenos Aires, I would say they are Argentinians not Australians.
Yeah, I got it right in the story, wrong here. I'm an idiot. LOL

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Humm never player master of orion, but I'm a pretty big fan of 4x in general. I played galciv 2 and 3 and both of them left me kinda underwhelmed. They were workable, but got very boring very quickly. Tech just weren't interesting since for the most part they were just upgrade of previous building/space ship part. Building up planet is somewhat interesting in 3 since where you place building matters but it very quickly become routine, I think it would have benefited from building only being build able once with a larger variety of building. Combat was very disappointing, I see what they wanted to do, but they didn't accomplish it.

Overall I've never found a space 4x that had everything I want, most of them have little piece. Sins of solar empire has a great combat system, sword of the stars had great ship building, star ruler had great inter and intra empire trade system and so on. I've yet to play one where every system shine and complement each others.

Christopher Miller

Mar 17, 2010
Mr. Keefer,

I must respectfully correct a detail in your preview article. Master of Orion 1 and 2 were not developed by MicroProse. Master of Orion 1 and 2 were created by SimTex in Austin, Texas. They were the work of a team led by Steve Barcia and Ken Burd and both titles were only published by MicroProse. Master of Orion 3 was developed by Quicksilver Software.

I apologize if I seem pedantic, but these masterworks of early 4X gaming were created by a very small team in a rather small office space in a strip mall, far from the images of what we think the offices of game developers look like today. I think it is both respectful and inspiring to remember that excellent titles such as these were the product of tiny, passionate teams working out of less than ideal situations.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
John Keefer said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Old news!! ,)

This already had my attention but if it's being developed by an Aussie studio then it's day 1 sale.
Wargaming.net is probably one of the better places for the Moo franchise to land, here's hoping for a good outcome as I loved the originals and Galactic Civilisation has been scratching that itch with Endless Space, would be good to see another entry to see how it compares.

Edit: hold on its Argentina, oh well still good :)

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
The one thing I enjoyed most about MoO was how different the races could feel from each other.

The issue with GalCiv is the races have only slight variations.

I'm so happy the franchise is being revived after the suicidal play of MoO3.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Abomination said:
The one thing I enjoyed most about MoO was how different the races could feel from each other.

The issue with GalCiv is the races have only slight variations.

I'm so happy the franchise is being revived after the suicidal play of MoO3.
GalCiv 3 has several minor issues still since I think it was pushed out of early access quite unpolished, but one thing that it does do right is that it allows you to make some very cool custom factions that will even use custom ship designs. I had an extremely massive game going for several days that had 20 factions in it and most of those I had made myself. The united planets screen was pretty interesting to look at whenever a vote came up :>

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Don't get hopes up, don't get hopes up, don't get hopes up... Damn it I just got my hopes up...

I really want this to be good, but given what has become of so many recent remakes I'm taking a believe it when I see it attitude to this.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
oh please be good ! after MoO3, i lost all hope in that franchise, but i played 1 and 2 so many hundred hours...

tacotrainwreck

Sep 15, 2011
Just so long as it isn't a remake of Master of Orion 3 we might be getting somewhere ;) I'd love to see something jump back out there to compete with Galactic Civilizations. I kinda like the new one, but it feels stale and lifeless.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
As an avid player of World of Tanks. I have to laugh at this, they will fuck something up hard. This game is coming from the guys that require a GTX 980 to get at least 60fps at max settings (and varies heavily patch to patch), have you seen the graphics?