Mighty No. 9 Preview - Mega Man Evolved

Mitchell Saltzman

Mar 10, 2012
Mighty No. 9 Preview - Mega Man Evolved

Mighty No. 9 may look like a Mega Man game, but its frenetic pace and unique gameplay mechanics make it entirely its own beast.

Read Full Article

Dalrien

Jun 14, 2014
I am still confused about those people going around, saying the game is already a dissapointment, even before anyone played this demo.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Dalrien said:
I am still confused about those people going around, saying the game is already a dissapointment, even before anyone played this demo.
Didn't you know its the new cool thing to pan a game without ever having played it or even a demo? Psshhh get with the times man.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Dalrien said:
It's my understanding that said people had been led to believe that the community would be given a substantial say in the production of the game, and that that promise was compromised by the employment of a toxic community manager who was more concerned with promoting her own agendas than the communities desires. She's gone now, but as we're at the tail end of production, the damage has been done. Even if the game still turns out to be excellent, the product we receive will not be the one that was promised.
I backed the game, but wasn't following it very closely. I DID find it weird when the surveys stopped coming in through my email, and finding out about that after the fact, I can only assume she was at least partially responsible for obfuscating the development process.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
last thing i heard about this game was that someone in the group making it was an sjw and was banning kickstart supporters because they said things they didn't like.

That might have just been a rumor though.

Ether way, im exited to see a new megaman-esc game.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
FogHornG36 said:
last thing i heard about this game was that someone in the group making it was an sjw and was banning kickstart supporters because they said things they didn't like.

No that really happened - kickstarter funders who'd spent hundreds of dollars were locked out of their rewards due to disagreements with the then community manager (who was a girlfriend of one of the devs)

But the trailer looks nice - I loved playing Megaman on the gameboy. I'll look forward to seeing gameplay reviews of the game.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Wow, it sounds a lot different than Mega Man (classic and X at least), while still building off of it. Those critics saying 'Inafune wants Japanese publishers to "wake up" and change yet is just making the same game he always has' were full of it. I always thought Inafune wanted to make something close to what fans were used to, as the first game, and expand the franchise once it gets a foot hold, possibly even making a Legends style game when the time is right. I think it will work.

So red essence gives you this game's Storm Tornado? I'll be looking forward to collecting a lot of that.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Seems decent, but I gotta say, I'm not fond of the 'dash as an attack to instant kill' part. That just feels "off" to me for the jump-n-shoot man style of gameplay for whatever reason.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I think its peculiar that THIS game quickly became the darling of Kickstarter and lead to many others following suit on that platform, but out of all of them its the only one I just don't care about.

I'm a huge Mega Man fan, and when they stopped being that great I eagerly awaited a return to form, and I'm just not seeing it in this game.

The main reason being that I hate being on a timer, graded on every move I make, and actively punished for not playing the game precisely the optimal way it was entirely balanced around or not at all.

I prefer to do speed runs, or other such challenges as fun challenges (like Metroid Fusion 1% item run) and not as the only right way to play the game and have my progress impeded for any other playstyle.

Its why Gunvolt didn't interest me, among many other reasons I avoided that game and hated the demo.

Also I'm not a fan of any of the character designs, which conversely I happened to like about Gunvolt.

Bloodstained is the game I'm psyched about.

Link Kadeshi

Oct 17, 2008
Dalrien said:
Look at Star Citizen. People whine about "broken promises. About how the game is more like a tech demo. No mater how many times they're told it's an alpha, they still seem to not get it at all. People see what they want to see, and they refuse to do anything other than stick to their misconceptions. Try not to understand the cries of the fools. They enjoy the attention, and negativity.

furthestshore

Apr 5, 2014
webkilla said:
FogHornG36 said:

No that really happened
No it didn't.

webkilla said:
kickstarter funders who'd spent hundreds of dollars were locked out of their rewards
No, they didn't. People were promised membership on a forum. They got it. A handful of people eventually got banned when they kept breaking rules and kept trying to turn everything into a "fight against the SJWs". If you can't post on a board about a classic-styled platformer without trying to turn everything into a fight about "social justice," you're going to get banned, and that doesn't mean you were locked out of your reward. Beyond that I've heard no complaints about rewards beyond the usual problems with kickstarter rewards and a few people repeating that they'd "heard" things. It's frankly laughable that people still repeat this nonsense, acting like a glorified moderator had the power to keep people from getting "hundreds of dollars" worth of rewards, especially when most of the rewards haven't even gone out yet to anyone.

ccggenius12 said:
I DID find it weird when the surveys stopped coming in through my email
Surveys or updates?

Because they said in an update why they were stopping that. Some people later started saying "why have those stopped being sent? Shenanigans!" which basically was the same as saying "I haven't been reading these, and I just noticed they stopped arriving".

Surveys... We got three in total? There was the "what should Call look like?" survey, the "what's your name?" survey, and the "what rewards are you signed up for?" survey. And she had diddly squat to do with sending them out, she was a glorified moderator.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Meanwhile at Capcom, a barely-trained weathered chimp hands us a dusted off version of Devil May Cry 4 from under the stairs while everyone left working there remains oblivious to the fact that the water was replaced with anti-freeze 10 years ago.

Pinkilicious

Sep 24, 2014
Areloch said:
Seems decent, but I gotta say, I'm not fond of the 'dash as an attack to instant kill' part. That just feels "off" to me for the jump-n-shoot man style of gameplay for whatever reason.
yeah, that part doesn't feel very mega-manny. Most of Megaman's stages aren't hectic dashes, but timing and keeping the damn propeller heads blasted, and using powers to avoid spikes. MN9 is making a MM game out of 15% of MM.

ccggenius12 said:
Dalrien said:
It's my understanding that said people had been led to believe that the community would be given a substantial say in the production of the game, and that that promise was compromised by the employment of a toxic community manager who was more concerned with promoting her own agendas than the communities desires. She's gone now, but as we're at the tail end of production, the damage has been done. Even if the game still turns out to be excellent, the product we receive will not be the one that was promised.
I backed the game, but wasn't following it very closely. I DID find it weird when the surveys stopped coming in through my email, and finding out about that after the fact, I can only assume she was at least partially responsible for obfuscating the development process.
also this part is I feel a big part of the backlash. Lets not forget the YEAR LONG CAMPAIGN that spawned this thing in the first place, which also resulted in a similar bait&switch. How many gave up on MML3 after they pulled that nobody Beck out of nowhere, I wonder? I'm sure I wasn't the only one. MM died to me on that day, even before capcom started trolling with the property and blaming the fans. Damned shame the fan attempt to take off after the demo was pulled was sunk by the usual dramatics that plague any fan-project. If you care so much about the game why do you worry so much whether or not your contribution is noted, or whether someone you like or not is also working on it? Just care about the direction, and about actually getting it out. I was involved with an MLP fan-episode that fell apart largely the same way, even down to the point of ideas being rejected because "They didn't share Faust's/Inafune's" vision.
(Do or Deer, which was to animate the original draft idea behind Over a Barrel)

We should have expected as much when the person heading the project passed it to someone named Wreckingfist though.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
furthestshore said:
Surveys or updates?

Because they said in an update why they were stopping that. Some people later started saying "why have those stopped being sent? Shenanigans!" which basically was the same as saying "I haven't been reading these, and I just noticed they stopped arriving".

Surveys... We got three in total? There was the "what should Call look like?" survey, the "what's your name?" survey, and the "what rewards are you signed up for?" survey. And she had diddly squat to do with sending them out, she was a glorified moderator.
I just checked the site today for a refresher, and I'll yield most of that to having a shite memory. On the plus side, the "What console do you want it on?" survey should be out within a week, so there's that.