Gamer Spends Six Years Crocheting Super Mario Bros 3 Blanket

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Gamer Spends Six Years Crocheting Super Mario Bros 3 Blanket

Norwegian gamer Kjetil Nordin has spent six years and 800 hours transforming a screenshot from <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/super%20mario%20bros%203?os=super+mario+bros+3>Super Mario Bros 3 into a crocheted, blanket masterpiece.

For most people, blankets are a casual sort of thing. Outside of questions of comfort and cost, you probably don't even think about yours all that much. For some however, the business of blankets is a serious one that involves time, investment and a metric butt-ton of yarn.

Take Norwegian gamer Kjetil Nordin, for instance. A computer programmer during the day, he recently wrapped up an epic crochet project aimed at recreating the first map screen from <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105231-Shigeru-Miyamoto-Finds-Super-Mario-Bros-3-Embarrassing>Super Mario Bros 3. Using a screenshot taken from the SNES Super Mario All-Stars version of the game, Nordin spent a whopping 800 hours spread out over six years transforming it into a blanket measuring 2.2 meters long and 1.8 meters wide. Hoping to be as accurate as possible he likewise spent "many hours" researching yarn to find colors that more closely matched the game. At one point he even disassembled a portion of the blanket because the map's water looked wrong. "[The yarn] was almost purple, and very ugly," he said. "I had to undo all of it. That took an extra week."

Adding to the amazing factor, this isn't only thing Nordin's accomplished in the past six years. During the same time he was making this blanket he also earned two degrees, started a new career and won two Norwegian Sky Diving championships. Nordin isn't sure what he wants to crochet next, but we can only imagine it will take twelve years, during which time he'll also unlock the secrets of faster than light travel and foster world peace while flying a jetpack.
[gallery=4329]
Source: <a href=http://www.dailydot.com/geek/kjetil-nordin-super-mario-3-blanket/?fb=dd>Daily Dot

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
I can't even look at that picture without this playing in my head:

Nergui

Dec 13, 2013
When I read the headline, I assumed it was a woman who did this as I remember all my aunts were into crochet, but it's a dude!

captcha - unscramble this word: paple

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
And then Nintendo goes "You're gonna have to burn that while we issue you a copyright strike."

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
OuendanCyrus said:
And then Nintendo goes "You're gonna have to burn that while we issue you a copyright strike."
I'm surprised he managed to finish it without a single cease and desist. Nintendo really dropped the ball this time.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
People who do stuff like crochet and knitting have my respect. Those things must require constant concentration over long periods of time. I'm not surprised it was a programmer honestly.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Astounding! This kind of thing never fails to impress me.

And then I remember he could have put those 800 hours into, you know, making a really great piece of software. Or curing cancer or something.
Oh well, blanket's still nice.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Kross said:
I can't even look at that picture without this playing in my head:
Goddamnit Kross...

OT: I would love to have something like that as a thrown in a game themed room, dude did a fantastic job.

ghalleon0915

Feb 23, 2014
I have seen that game screen too many damn times...and it looks marvelous. That is incredible, really. I ....kinda want to break into his house and steal it, really.

Astounding work, though.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
That really is amazing. I really envy people with that level of creative talent. Although, 800 hours, that is one hell of a lot of time for a blanket, albeit an awesome one.