Project Morpheus Hands-On: VR Fun for a Lower Cost of Entry

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Project Morpheus Hands-On: VR Fun for a Lower Cost of Entry

From monster attacks to tank battles, Sony's foray into virtual reality showed its potential with a variety of tech demos.

Read Full Article

Jan 12, 2012
It's good to see that they're going with more stylized graphics; I was worried that developers would try to ram 'realistic' down our throats before the technology could really support it. I don't really have an interest in VR stuff, but I do have a PS4 and a reasonably-priced piece of gear with some solid games could get me.

aaronexus

Dec 11, 2012
If it's not another sequel to the Battlezone '98 action/strategy remake, I don't fsking care. I will begrudgingly admit, however, that this does look decent, for a non-gameplay reveal anyway. It's not nearly enough to sway me yet, though. Still figure, pending reviews and pricing options of course, that Oculus is my future, especially as Star Citizen and Squadron 42 should support it at least somewhat before the year is out.

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Thunderous Cacophony said:
It's good to see that they're going with more stylized graphics; I was worried that developers would try to ram 'realistic' down our throats before the technology could really support it. I don't really have an interest in VR stuff, but I do have a PS4 and a reasonably-priced piece of gear with some solid games could get me.
Before E3 this year, I wasn't that interested in VR, but Morpheus and Oculus changed my mind. While Oculus was the more impressive experience overall, as a Mac user I'm not prepared to shell out for PC hardware to accomodate it. BUT, since I already have a PS4... well, Morpheus might be a thing that happens.

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
aaronexus said:
If it's not another sequel to the Battlezone '98 action/strategy remake, I don't fsking care. I will begrudgingly admit, however, that this does look decent, for a non-gameplay reveal anyway. It's not nearly enough to sway me yet, though. Still figure, pending reviews and pricing options of course, that Oculus is my future, especially as Star Citizen and Squadron 42 should support it at least somewhat before the year is out.
Funnily enough, not 24 hours after I posted this Sony sent out a press release stating that Rebellion was ALSO remastering the 1998 game.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
It makes for an interesting contrast.

Oculus going with the 'you need really powerful hardware' route, and it seems, sony with toning down the graphical power to just make it work on what they've got.

That's basically the strategies available right now.

Altogether, I think I may bite the bullet and get one of AMD's new high-end cards... Fury they were calling it?
Saw them for sale somewhere. (well, when I say 'for sale', I mean a website listed them, but said they were sold out. XD)

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Is Project Morpheus coming to the PC or is it going to be PS4 only? If it's PS4 only, I think it's going to flop. I think I'll be going with Oculus. One video card upgrade and I will be running Star Citizen in glorious VR.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Thats my main issue with Morpheus, that the PS4 may well struggle to pump out the rock steady high frame rate, low lag experience that VR really needs to not cause eyestrain and nausea. That they have gone with stylised graphics should alleviate this considerably.

Looks like Morpheus exclusive content and cross-platform stylised graphics content may actually be playable and hold up when compared to PC stuff, but anything going for most kinds of wow factor going to be seriously lacking on it.