Australia Has Banned Over 200 Games in Four Months

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Australia Has Banned Over 200 Games in Four Months

The Australian government has refused classification to more computer games in the past four months than in the previous two decades.

An estimated 220 online games have been refused classification in Australia in the past four months, in contrast to only about 50 that were refused between 1994 and 2014. According to an ABC Australia [http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-30/australia-bans-220-video-games-in-four-months/6582100] report, the sharp increase in Refused Classification (RC) online games results from a new classification method implemented by the Classification Board.

On March 10, the Australian Classification Board announced a new trial [http://www.classification.gov.au/News/Pages/10-March-2015-New-trial-for-classification-of-online-games.aspx] that focused on the classification of online games. "The Minister for Justice has announced that Australia has joined the International Age Rating Coalition (IARC)," the notice reads. "IARC is a partnership of government and industry content classification authorities from around the world, including the United States, Canada, Europe and Brazil."

"The Minister also announced that Australia is preparing to trial IARC's new tool for classifying mobile and online games."

The pilot will officially commence on July 1.

"Due to the online explosion, there are hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of games currently available online," a spokesperson from the Attorney-General's Department said. "It is not realistic or practicable for the Classification Board to manually classify each of them."

"In preparation for the pilot, a large 'back catalogue' of games has been classified - more than 150,000 to date," the spokesperson said. "After 12 months, classification ministers will determine whether the IARC tool should be a permanent part of the Australian classification scheme."

The new IARC Classification tool includes an online form, to be filled out by developers, that covers an expansive variety of potentially offensive material over many sub-categories. One question asks "Does the game contain any bodily functions such as belching, flatulence, or vomiting when used for humorous purposes?"

Games that are refused classification are banned from being sold, advertised, imported, or publicly displayed.

[Source: ABC Australia [http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-30/australia-bans-220-video-games-in-four-months/6582100]]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Belching for humourous entertainment? There is an age restriction for that? Blimey Gov'nor! I'm sure even pre-schoolers are over that side-splitter.

LittleMikey

Renegade
Aug 31, 2009
Not surprising at all. The current government is very right-wing, they would ban video games altogether if they thought they could get away with it.

Middle_Index

Stoner/Metaller
Mar 6, 2014
Wow that is loads. Seem like they setting themselve up to fail.

All they are doing is pushing people to find other ways to get the games, there's always loop holes I.e steam keys etc. Or worst torrents. They are losing out in revenue, I don't think any gorverment can afford this sort of over the top practice. Why do you think they have made weed legal in 2 states in the US? Becuase they need the money and its costing them more to have it banned.

Do parents not police their own children anymore?

This is the video nastie nonsense all over again. All they are doing is making a list of games that people will now want becuase they are banned.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Holy shit batman they going Gotham levels of crazy over gaming.

Do they think people can't handle anything or are so scared of the smallest thing.

Geeze you would think a place made from convicts would be more open not batshit crazy over gaming

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Dynast Brass said:
Incredible, I'm a bit shocked that we're not at the point of a moral panic here. Apple made an error that would obviously be rectified, and there were hints of the downfall of the Republic. Now we have a nation actually exorcising shocking levels of censorship, in a way that inflicts real financial/access hardship on its citizens and...

...where is everyone?
Are you in a moral panic over this? This is pretty par for course and has been for the past 10 or so years, most everyone agrees it's an archaic backwards and stupid system but know there's not much we can do. Hell some developers just tell Australians to pirate their games to get past the banning.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
It's a Bannapalooza! A cornucopia of unnecessary censorship! An All-You-Can-Ban Buffet!

Dach

Apr 28, 2015
Middle_Index said:
Do parents not police their own children anymore?
To be fair, it is extremely hard to get a good barometer on a game without playing through it yourself and plenty on parents even now have limited exposure to video games. Additionally, for countries that have rating labels, games are rated based on content more than context and while this makes sense for a objective rating system, from a perspective of children learning good or bad lessons from the games, context is going to be vastly more important.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
I love as a 21 year old, a legal adult in every stretch of the imagination i cannot choose what videogames i wish to play.
Refused classification should automatically be a 18+ rating with a warning along the lines of "This game has not been classified play at your own risk"

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Goddamn it.
We fight for a fucking R rating for a decade plus, finally get it and hardly a damn thing changes.
I just keep finding points in every direction for moving to another country.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
I can only produce incontrollable laughter on this matter. This is so ridiculous and doublestandard-ish =)

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Dynast Brass said:
NiPah said:
Dynast Brass said:
Incredible, I'm a bit shocked that we're not at the point of a moral panic here. Apple made an error that would obviously be rectified, and there were hints of the downfall of the Republic. Now we have a nation actually exorcising shocking levels of censorship, in a way that inflicts real financial/access hardship on its citizens and...

...where is everyone?
Are you in a moral panic over this? This is pretty par for course and has been for the past 10 or so years, most everyone agrees it's an archaic backwards and stupid system but know there's not much we can do. Hell some developers just tell Australians to pirate their games to get past the banning.
Do I sound like I'm in a moral panic?

I'm suggesting that this is an extreme example of established censorship that is going largely unremarked in a community that finds in small and highly questionable examples of that reason to riot. As to why that me be, maybe you have some insights?

Sounds like this is bad for devs, bad for gamers, bad for Australian culture.
You don't sound like you're in a moral panic, which is why I was a bit confused by your shocked comment. This is a bad situation, I completely agree with you, I'm just not sure what an appropriate response would be. As for why there isn't more public outcry, I believe it's a mix of apathy borne from repetition, the fact that a majority on this board do not live in Australia, and history shows there is little we can do to sway the actions of Australia's government.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Damn Australia. Calm the fuck down with the bans. They will not ruin your country. Your strict laws will but talk about taking the fun away.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
For Fuck Sake! Fuck our government! Fuck their dark stone age ideas! Selfish bastards pushing their own damn agenda like the corrupt pricks they are! I thought we were actually getting somewhere for once, but we're still not advance Australia.

We had the bloody Puppetry of the Penis show advertised everywhere, movies like Saw, South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut and the Human Centipede are well known, plus our own shows like Fat Pizza and The Chasers which sometimes were really offensive are still available, and other great artists like Frank Zappa and George Carlin who really pushed the bar, and they still look down on games even though they have no bloody proof of anything to justify these bullshit practices!?

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
I find it vaguely amusing that Australia feels the need to protect the populace from video games when they're already living on a continent with some of the nastiest, most venomous wildlife in the world.

Captcha: turning point. Oh, captcha.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Being unable to classify all the games that are coming in sounds like a good excuse to just stop bothering, and abolish the ratings system altogether. If parents are concerned, tell them to lock down the bloody app store on their phones so the kids can't buy anything on their own. Simple as.