Bungie Talks Destiny: The Taken King Details

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Bungie Talks Destiny: The Taken King Details

Bungie: "The Taken King is more than DLC--it's a game."

In a blog post [https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=13110] Thursday, Bungie discussed details regarding the upcoming expansion for Destiny, stressing that The Taken King will be more than just a DLC.

"We've already said that we'll be kicking off the second year of Destiny with a major expansion. On the road to launch we plan to prove that The Taken King is more than DLC - it's a game."

The $40 DLC package is scheduled for release on September 15, and Bungie hoped to highlight the value of the DLC well in advance. According to the post, The Taken King will feature new missions, new sidequests, new weapons, and new narrative among other things. You can view a full list below.

In addition, Bungie promises to "explore a range of topics that we know are important to you" in the coming weeks, "including weapon rebalancing, economy improvements, an overhauled quest experience, bounty enhancements, faction allegiances, end game content, and more."

"We've learned a lot these last ten months - about the game as well as the people we're playing it with. If you've been adventuring alongside us through The Dark Below and House of Wolves, you know our creative process follows an evolving playbook. The Taken King will present its own unique leap forward, and we're excited to unpack it for you this summer."

The full list of basics according to Bungie:

New story missions and an array of sidequests that conspire to tell the story of our battle to defend our Solar System against Oryx and his Taken army
New narrative driven by cinematic cutscenes starring an engaging cast of characters
New Exotic Weapons, Exotic Armor, and Exotic Questlines
The Dreadnaught, a full new destination, with unique secrets, rituals, and treasures to uncover
A new breed of enemy combatants, The Taken, armed with new abilities and weapons
An increased Level Cap, and new ways for your Guardian to grow more powerful
The most substantial injection of new, unique, and redesigned weapons, armor, and talents to date
New subclasses with all new Supers and abilities
New cooperative Strikes with unique and dynamic new Boss battles
Redesigned and reimagined Strikes - Dust Palace, Undying Mind, and Cerberus Vae III - are now overrun by the Taken
New Crucible multiplayer maps with new Crucible modes, including the previously revealed Rift and Mayhem
And, of course, last but not least, our biggest six-player Raid yet.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009

We get it Dave, the game has sound effects, please stop acting them out, you are by far the most annoying thing about this youtube video.

On topic, really? $40? I don't even know where to begin on how much BS that is.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
30 Dollars too expensive.
Can't stress this enough. A reasonable price would be 10/15 Dollars. Like other competent large DLC's do, like BL2's TTOADK.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Tsaba said:

We get it Dave, the game has sound effects, please stop acting them out, you are by far the most annoying thing about this youtube video.
He was the best part of that video, someone so enthusiastic that he poses and pretends to throw lightning bolts.

Final7111

Aug 6, 2011
Miggnor said:
New story missions and an array of sidequests that conspire to tell the story of our battle to defend our Solar System against Oryx and his Taken army
So 5 new story missions again? Sadly I'm not sure if thats fun or sad.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
Wooooooow
I said it once I'll say it again. If they ask nice maybe Micro will let them do more Halo.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Lizzy Finnegan said:
The game has a story now? You'd think someone at E3 would have said something about it. It is a pretty big revelation after all.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
IceStar100 said:
Wooooooow
I said it once I'll say it again. If they ask nice maybe Micro will let them do more Halo.
I want them nowhere near halo at all. After what they did with Reach and what they are doing now...Nope!

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Outcast107 said:
IceStar100 said:
Wooooooow
I want them nowhere near halo at all. After what they did with Reach and what they are doing now...Nope!
You mean make the best one then go onto Destiny.

I know, from such a high point to a low point.

On Topic; It's fucking over priced. Much like every other dlc you have.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
Chaos Isaac said:
Outcast107 said:
IceStar100 said:
Wooooooow
You mean make the best one then go onto Destiny.

I know, from such a high point to a low point.

On Topic; It's fucking over priced. Much like every other dlc you have.
Reach sucked imo. It introduce Armor abilities, DMR, mess up the lore with a whole bunch of plot holes, and other shit. Halo 2 was the best halo by far. With Halo 4 (just the story imo) coming in 2nd.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Well, I'll probably get it.
Haven't touched Destiny in a while but damn it was fun when I played it.
Nothing beats doing the raids day 1, completely blind.
Except maybe getting the suros regime on day 2 of the game being out. Nobody could touch me in crucible pre-nerf.

As for the argument above me...
The objective rankings for halo games go
Multiplayer: Halo 3 > Halo 2 > Reach > ODST > CE > 4
Single player: ODST > Halo 2 > Halo CE > 4 > Reach > 3

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
Guys don't worry! This is not a DLC it's like an "entire game." So everybody can worry free and pay the $40 price tag for the "not DLC, entire game."

Seriously this all sounds like a load of shit. Just like the garbage that came out a few weeks saying "if you saw this emote you would throw money at it."

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Oh, it's an entire game? So... why does it need the base version of the game to work? Sounds like DLC to me. I don't have time for that. Your initial game did not impress - what makes you think I'd hand over $40 just to see if your game has gotten on par with other MMOs out there? Not a single person has taken a look at this price and said "wow! Can't wait to get my hands on that." Fuck you, Bungie. Destiny is a fun experiment, but at the end of the day, you have only ever proven that you are in over your head when making anything other than a competitive first-person shooter.

Frankly, I just hope this franchise will capsize already so Bungie can make something else.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
There's one thing to take from this:

It will sell like hotcakes. Even people complaining about the price will probably pick it up. Friends will play it, and people will hype over it for about a month.
It's kinda sad because they know they can sell a piddly amount of content for $40.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Outcast107 said:
Reach sucked imo. It introduce Armor abilities, DMR, mess up the lore with a whole bunch of plot holes, and other shit. Halo 2 was the best halo by far. With Halo 4 (just the story imo) coming in 2nd.
Really, i'd say the opposite. Armor Abilities changed the gameplay, mostly for the better. (Though Armor Lock was a problem.) The DMR is a favorite addition of mine, sure better then the BR in every way.

And I find four's plot being hilariously bad. Being absolutely terrible for the lore. I still don't get how hardlight, in any way, can do what Cortana has it do. (Considering how it's constructed.) The big bad is just... too boring, and flat.

Iunno. I know differing opinions and all, but man total opposites here.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
40 bucks for DLC.

Fuck you Bungie. You used to have ethics, you used to be for the gamers. But Activision has seriously corrupted the fuck out of you.

StorkV

Sep 6, 2014
Brian Tams said:
40 bucks for DLC.

Fuck you Bungie. You used to have ethics, you used to be for the gamers. But Activision has seriously corrupted the fuck out of you.
You have no idea what ''ethics'' means... stop throwing that word around like you know it's meaning.

Also, how the hell are people still playing that game????

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
This is really disgusting. This is why so many people view dlc as a inherently bad thing and developers that make genuily good dlc that is more than worth it's price are suffering for it. You suck, bungie.