The Most Interesting Magic The Gathering Cards Made By Artificial Intelligence

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Jan 20, 2011
The Most Interesting Magic The Gathering Cards Made By Artificial Intelligence

An impressive AI program is capable of generating perfectly playable Magic: The Gathering cards... and some perfectly unplayable ones.

Read Full Article

MyLifeIsAnRPG

Jan 20, 2011
Check out the original thread and project http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/612057-generating-magic-cards-using-deep-recurrent-neural there are a lot of gut busters there.

Here are some other ones I liked.

Arnoftuee - UUB
Instant
You may pay 2.

You know. You can pay 2 if you want. It doesn't, like, do anything. But go ahead and pay it. i mean, you paid extra mana just for this privilege so, go ahead.

Roon War Medoma
G
Instant
Name a card. You gain 1 life.

You can name a card! Whoopie! Have a life! You earned it!

Lodum

Jul 30, 2012
So, one of my sub benefits is supposed to be Single Page articles, but I still have to go through a billion pages at 2 cards for page for this one.

What gives?

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Sprazzan Shield is "very draftable". It's a two mana blue instant that can be used as a fog, make all your creatures effectively unblockable, kill chumps, and most relevantly, be an instant speed sinkhole. Stone rain is evidently too powerful at three mana sorcery speed, but clearly this card is just "draftable". Honestly, as a blue card, it should probably cost one less and give you a free hand job for each copy of Sprazzan Shield in your Graveyard.

I also take umbrage at the articles assertions that equate humans not having printed something with not having yet conceived of it (because clearly the best course of action would be to spam as much design space, as quickly as possible).

Lastly, while I have no doubt that the RNN can make plainswalkers, Archangel of the Beast clearly has zero fucks to give about Great Wall.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
ccggenius12 said:
I also take umbrage at the articles assertions that equate humans not having printed something with not having yet conceived of it (because clearly the best course of action would be to spam as much design space, as quickly as possible).
Yeah pretty much. Landfall on instants and sorceries already exists, bestow stayed same color activation because it was mostly a monocolored set, and they were very worried about its already high complexity, this is also why they all had the same power, toughness and abilities as the bonus they gave (on top of the flavor match of doing so). I could do this with basically every card you said was unique, and with a little digging link the the article by mark rosewater where he talked about said thing. Though soul collector does get some points and would be very interesting, I will give the RNN that, it would have to be Blue white though.

Edit. For some reason I misremembered soul collector as tax collector

Wiggum Esquilax

Apr 22, 2015
RNN may be in love with itself, every other card has tromple.

Also, if you Interpret the Chanter of the Reflections' Destroy a player ability, as reducing an enemy duelist's life to 0, then it seems entirely draftable. If only slightly overpowered.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Do you think that at MTG headquarters, they ever have a draft with cards made only of unintelligible cards?

I would want to do that.

Sep 13, 2009
Among all of the cards here, I think this one actually looks rather interesting:

It's 4 mana for a pseudo-indestructible 2/2, more interesting than a straight indestructible creature.

Also, found the comment about the difficulty of finding an old female elf amusing. I don't think I've ever actually seen one

Dach

Apr 28, 2015
The Almighty Aardvark said:
It's 4 mana for a pseudo-indestructible 2/2, more interesting than a straight indestructible creature.
If your opponent is playing correctly, it basically never regenerates. A 2/2 that almost never regenerates is bad. If it triggered on either player, that would be interesting as there is a trade-off to play spells early and that it is harder to trigger on opponent's turns (and dies to more wraths than indestructible creatures).

Sep 13, 2009
Dach said:
If your opponent is playing correctly, it basically never regenerates. A 2/2 that almost never regenerates is bad. If it triggered on either player, that would be interesting as there is a trade-off to play spells early and that it is harder to trigger on opponent's turns (and dies to more wraths than indestructible creatures).
It's certainly not as indestructible in terms of combat, but I'd say it's got arguably better protection from removal than hexproof. While it requires planning, you can force your opponent into bad positions where they have to choose between responding to something before combat and having a whopping 2/2 indestructible coming their way (Okay, maybe the card itself should be better).

At the bare minimum though, you've got something that can survive most of your opponent's board wipes and removal, and can be situationally better than that. Not as effective as indestructible, but I'd say a good deal more interesting

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Stumbled upon this after reading up on @RoboRosewater, it's interesting to see some of the realistic or at least semi-realistic cards that can be generated, as well as the hilarious one.