Sega President Admits it Betrayed Fan's Trust, Must Make Quality Games

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Sega President Admits it Betrayed Fan's Trust, Must Make Quality Games

The president of Sega has finally learned the obvious from watching Atlus: If you make a quality game, it will sell well.

Remember Sega? Back in the 90's, with its home consoles and multiple million-dollar IPs, Sega was one of the big boys. Now, it has essentially faded to obscurity: it no longer produces consoles, it has licensed its most cherished characters to former rival Nintendo, and has produced only disappointment after third party titles it has published [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/sonic%20boom?os=%20sonic%20boom], from the likes of Creative Assembly and Atlus. Looking back, Sega president Hajime Satomi muses that if Sega follows in Atlus's footsteps and makes good, quality games, then perhaps people would actually like them.

"As far as the Western market goes, we learned a lot from Atlus. If we can make a title with proper quality, I believe there's a good chance for it to do well even in the West for players that like to play Japanese games." Satomi told Famitsu [http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8245543.html].

"I've been talking to the employees about how we should start putting serious consideration into quality from this point on. Especially in North America and Europe, where it's always been more of a focus on schedules, I believe that if we can't maintain quality, it would be better to not release anything at all."

To put it quite bluntly: no shit! I think the industry has proven time and time again that releasing a unfinished product [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/aliens%20colonial%20marines] doesn't exactly go over too well with your fan base.

Satomi also admits that he "betrayed the tust" of his most loyal fans when he took over the company and began throwing Sonic's face onto as many things as possible. "We did our best to build a relationship of mutual trust with older fans of Sega, but looking back, there have been some titles that have partially betrayed that trust in the past 10 years."

"Sega in the '90s was known for its brand, but after that, we've lost trust and we were left with nothing but reputation. For this reason, we'd like to win back the customers' trust and become a brand once again."

Satomi finished by teasing a special announcement from the company for this year's Tokyo Game Show, taking place in September.

Source: Forbes [http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/07/08/president-of-sega-japan-finally-realizes-that-gaming-quality-is-important/]

zellosoli

Aug 22, 2011
It's a nice sentiment, but actions speak louder than words. come back to me once you actually make that quality game, then we'll talk

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwww, really?
Sega, Sega, Sega. You know, I used to be a big fan. I was one of the guys with the flag with the Dreamcast logo on it and "The Sega will rise again" written under the logo. But Sonic Boom was successful in completely and utterly murdering any good will I had for them. In fact, I want them to go THQ. Then they could be bought by someone competent. In fact, I want Sony to buy them out. That'd be nice. Or Valve.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad" - Shigeru Miyamoto

Really Sega?... FUCKING REALLY!?... *sigh* I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, let's hope this bodes well for the future. Coincidentally, it's almost the 10th anniversary of Sonic '06 :3

CrossGuard

Mar 8, 2015

They could regain my trust by making a sequel to VANQUISH for starters.

And stop making 3D Sonic games, jesus christ.

Sep 24, 2008
"I've been talking to the employees about how we should start putting serious consideration into quality from this point on."
I can't think of a more disgusting comment than what this sentiment encapsulates.

"Hey guys... I keep hearing about this quality thing. Should we... should we be looking into what that's about or what?"

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Anyone can talk the talk, but can you walk the walk? Produce some quality games then you can earn our trust.

And whatever you do stay the FUCK away from Atlus. Just let them do their thing and the money will flow...speaking of which, uh Atlus? Persona 5 was supposed to come out sometime this year? Hello?

Tyrant_Valvatorez

Mar 29, 2013
As hilarious as it is to see Sega state the painfully obvious, there is other things to consider. I find it rather rich for this to be coming from speaking to Atlus considering they have become rather cocky and up their own ass lately. On the flip-side Atlus speaking to Sega should have taught them that Europe is actually a thing that exists... or we will be seeing things like "Sega drops localization in Europe."

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
So, first we have a Microsoft big wig say the industry would probably be better if CEOs actually played some games, and now Sega is saying that quality is important.

Did...did I miss something? Should I be running for the bunker and stashing all the cheese biscuits? Because I'm starting to get frightened.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Yeah, yeah heard it before. Maybe if Sega actually produces a decent game i'll believe what they say, otherwise talk is cheap and self flagellation seems to be very much the in thing for gaming companies right now.

Prove you're not just jumping on the Bandwagon Sega!

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
Can I get a new game in the Canvas Engine used for Valkyria Chronicles. Either a proper sequel to VC or something new is fine.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
"Hey guys, i talked to these other guys and got a brilliant new idea. How about we try to make our games NOT SH*T? I know! Brilliant right? Sometimes i surprise myself!"

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Do you remember Sonic Boom, sega? Pepperidge farm remembers.
Do you remember Ecco the Dolphin too? Well give it back, goddamn it! You cannot sit on a dolphin forever. Things become...matured, gracelessly. To think of what current gen could do with that sort of game.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
"You know what we shouldn't make? Shit games" Oh MY the revelation on this one was too strong. I've never cared about Sonic, but ACTUALLY reading "we should kinda try" is just the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Here's a great idea: Don't just say it. Do it.

Sonic '06 was supposed to be a reboot of the franchise that promised to fix issues persistent in the previous games. It repeated those flaws. It even magnified the technical flaws, since you ignored and fired your testing team and pushed to release the game in time for the 15th anniversary. Its poor reception should have been a wake up call. You did address some issues in the series later, but the blow from '06 apparently wasn't enough to keep you from releasing more games over the years from that franchise and others that definitely should not have shipped in the conditions they were in.

Yes, follow Atlus and Nintendo's leads, not just the apologetic PR stunts several other companies are pulling right now. I'm still expecting Ubisoft to barely change (if at all).

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Quality games are quality games? You don't say?

In other news, rain is not the sky falling on our heads, and Donald Trump is an idiot. More on these top stories with the use of your brain.

The sad part is I don't even know if I believe this. The best quality Sonic game I've seen in a while is Generations. And even that game had a complete shit final level and the Super Sonic power up was useless in the game.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
No no no, you've got it all wrong. The trick is to pump out annual releases! Flood the market with shitty at worst, mediocre at best games every single year! Go for the quantity of games on the market approach, not the quality of games approach! That's what all the big-boys are doing these days!

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Wow! It literally is that they decided to attempt to make quality titles. With that kind of thinking they should have no problem at all >_>

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
You know, not so long ago, those companies would rather die than admit they did something wrong.
Now they keep reminding us every damn second how much wrong they did and how they learned.
Does anyone actually fall for this bullshit?
"Oh noe, we know we maked much mistakes. Pls beliv we now gud!"