Watch the First Footage of Ken in Street Fighter V

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Watch the First Footage of Ken in Street Fighter V

Character everyone expected unveiled at San Diego Comic Con

At the annual Street Fighter panel during San Diego Comic-Con, Capcom added series mainstay Ken to the roster for the forthcoming Street Fighter V. Attendees of the show will be given the first chance to get hands-on time with the character, who will be playable in the demo on display at Capcom's booth.

As is the custom when announcing the addition of a new character to a fighting game, a trailer has been provided.

Ken is the seventh character confirmed for the game, joining Ryu, M. Bison, Chun-Li, Birdie, Cammie, and Nash.

[gallery=4401]

A five-day online beta event is planned to kick off July 23, which will be available to players who pre-order the PlayStation 4 version of Street Fighter V from selected retailers or the PlayStation Store. Capcom plans to hold additional beta events in the lead-up to the game's Spring 2016 release on PS4 and Windows PCs.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Oh, Ken's been announced. It appears that water is still wet.
Kinda diggin' the revised look, though. New moves look good too.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
...is his hair supposed to look like it's made out of rubber and/or plastic?

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
His hair and face look hideous. Everything else looks really cool. Would've preferred if he was the last character they announced.

Obligatory:

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
RJ 17 said:
...is his hair supposed to look like it's made out of rubber and/or plastic?
Well he seems to spend alot of time being on fire. Maybe its a wig?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Beta testing now a pre-order incentive? Yay! Progress!

Captcha: come what may. What's your stake in this, capty??

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Not feeling that art direction. Games like Guilty Gear Xrd make me think that Capcom's decision to go with a full 3D look was not a great one(GG is also 3D, but uses cel shading to keep a 2D appearance).

Sep 24, 2008
... He looks like what would happen if Mattel made Barbie's ken into an MMA fighter. This redesign just looses so much of what we always took Ken to be.

While a great fighter, he always had fun with his matches. Now he just looks like another somber Ryu.

I do like how he's going more to a kick game, furthering the natural progression between students. Other escapists who studied Martial Arts knows what I'm talking about. Even if you have two people who studied in the same school at from the exact same time, they'd put their own tinge to the art. Focus on what they love.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
don't mind the look since this is a pre-alpha build, they probably just want to show of the new moves and they'll probably update him as development advances. Now while I really like the new moves and overall coolness to him now it does worry me that he might replace Juri as the crazy kicks and fireballs character. Juri was my main in 4 and I doubt they'll include Dudley in 5 so there might be a chance none of my mains come back :(

I just wish they announce the entire cast of Ultra SF4 and the entire cast of Third Strike will appear in 5 plus some new characters

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
I'm...ambivalent. Ken was my main back in the SFII days. The costume redesign is off-putting, but I think I can dig it. Not so sure about the hair, though.

Of course, all this is beside the point if SFV doesn't fix the speed/response issue. Granted, I only played the first iteration of SFIV, but man...the whole game just felt like there was a half-second artificially-induced response-delay between pressing the button and the action on the screen compared to SFII. It was such a pain...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wait, Ken get a redesign while the others (shown so far) relatively stayed the same (well Charlie is still look the same despite being all stitched up)? In saying so I shouldn't complaining.

Also anyone knows who is the teaser character at the end?

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
remnant_phoenix said:
I'm...ambivalent. Ken was my main back in the SFII days. The costume redesign is off-putting, but I think I can dig it. Not so sure about the hair, though.

Of course, all this is beside the point if SFV doesn't fix the speed/response issue. Granted, I only played the first iteration of SFIV, but man...the whole game just felt like there was a half-second artificially-induced response-delay between pressing the button and the action on the screen compared to SFII. It was such a pain...
if you were playing on PS3 there WAS artificial input delay

this is why all tourney run on 360

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Wait, Ken get a redesign while the others (shown so far) relatively stayed the same (well Charlie is still look the same despite being all stitched up)? In saying so I shouldn't complaining.

Also anyone knows who is the teaser character at the end?
Dunno if you saw Birdie but that guy got a pretty big overhaul. That and you mention frankencharlie, who I'm guessing will be bisons puppet.

songnar

Modulator
Oct 26, 2008
Cool. I mean, I'm not buying it yet, but cool...

Wake me when Street Fighter V: Super Arcade Ultimate Mega Starshine Version is released with all the content.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I still can't tell where this takes place in the timeline. I'm guessing "After IV, but before III", but you never know with Capcom. I'm only curious to see if we're going to get a 3D Sean or Oro.

I love how Ken gets a huge redesign, but most of the other characters look more or less the same. I like Ken's new look enough that I rather wish they'd give everyone else that treatment. Look forward to "Classic Ken Skin" for $5 or a pre-order bonus.

EDIT: Screenshots of the mystery face toward the end.

Those look like dreads to me, for some reason.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Scrythe said:
I still can't tell where this takes place in the timeline. I'm guessing "After IV, but before III", but you never know with Capcom. I'm only curious to see if we're going to get a 3D Sean or Oro.
Even Capcom have no interest in a canonical storyline.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Oh my god. That face. The nightmares I'ma have now.

Costume's decent, though. And maybe "bad claymation" is an intentional look?

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Gailim said:
remnant_phoenix said:

if you were playing on PS3 there WAS artificial input delay

this is why all tourney run on 360
Even the 360 version of SFIV felt slow and less responsive than SFII HD Remix.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Ken needs plastic surgery... they made him super ugly. It seems contradictory because his character was always the easy going type of ladies man. It looks like he is living on a steady diet of Human Growth Hormone.