Warner Bros Apologizes For Batman: Arkham Knight, Delays PC DLC

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Warner Bros Apologizes For Batman: Arkham Knight, Delays PC DLC

Warner Bros has apologized for the issues surrounding the PC release of Batman: Arkham Knight, and informed players that work on fixing the game has delayed the upcoming DLC.

The allegations [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141320-Players-of-the-PC-Version-of-Arkham-Knight-are-Reporting-Gameplay-Issues] arising that Warner Bros was aware of the many issues for months prior to its release.

Warner Bros issued a full apology [http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Support-for-PC/July-10-Update-on-PC-Version-of-Arkham-Knight/m-p/605229#U605229] regarding the PC port of Batman: Arkham Knight in a forum post Friday.

"We have heard the PC gaming community outcry of disappointment for the initial launch of Batman: Arkham Knight on PC," the company said. "Again, we would like to apologize to you, the fans, and let you know that we are taking full responsibility for releasing a product that did not meet our quality standards, which is why we suspended sales of the game as soon as we understood the issues."

The company also stated that they are working closely with Rocksteady Studios in order to ensure that the PC version meets a "superior quality bar" before making the game available for sale again.

"Addressing the PC performance issues is still our top priority and at this time, we believe we have identified a number of fixes for the larger issues that were affecting PC players at launch. These fixes are currently being implemented into the game and once we have been able to do some initial testing, we'll have a better idea on the status of our progress. We'll provide an update on how things are developing next week."

The work on fixing the PC Arkham Knight issues have taken away from the ability to develop the content for the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight - Batgirl: A Matter of Family DLC for those who are still playing the PC version of the game. This DLC was originally intended to be made available on July 14th. "We apologize for the delay and only want to make sure that any content that we offer is up to the standards that PC players expect."

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Well.. at least they're being less scummy than last time were they didn't bother to fix it and just kept rolling out the DLC.

I really hope, at least for the PC gamers, this serves as a cautionary tale about pre-ordering stuff.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
endtherapture said:
They should give us some free DLC to apologise for the terrible launch.
darn got ninja'do by the first post. The title is funny though. Makes the article sound like WB was apologizing for not being able to rip us off. Lol

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I'd say half off DLC should be fine. I was perfectly fine when Bethesda gave me half-off DLC for Skyrim because the game ran like ass and we had to wait a long ass time to get any DLC on PS3.

I don't see them doing that though. They seem like the company that just thinks selling you a broken game then making it able to run eventually is enough of an apology. They really don't seem to be focusing too much on the PC version though, this DLC came out awfully fast.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Why do they keep saying that the game didn't meet their quality standard? They knew about the problems and they released it anyway. Clearly they have no issues with abysmal quality.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Translation: "We don't want to lose your money, please don't refund the game, we're fixing it, promise!, and don't forget to grab that season pass!".

Adam Jensen said:
Why do they keep saying that the game didn't meet their quality standard? They knew about the problems and they released it anyway. Clearly they have no issues with abysmal quality.
Now that Steam refunds are a thing, they're scared shitless about the actual consequences of releasing a sub-par PC port, it's just a shame they won't do the same with MKX, or MK9 and Injustice for that matter.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Why does it still not sound like an apology then? To me it sounds like WB isn't apologizing for a crap game so much as they are apologizing for PC gamers being entitled. Like they're not sorry for a bad port, they're sorry you threw such a little hissy fit when your precious frame-rate dropped.

And the whole thing with the DLC just comes across as inflammatory. Like sorry PS4 and Xbone users. We would work on the Batgirl DLC, but the glorious PC master race needs a diaper change! So don't blame us! We're not the ones who complained so much the game got taken down! That was the PC gamers fault!

God, everything WB does just diggers them deeper and deeper into their own grave.

Asuterisuku

Jul 10, 2011
Silentpony said:
Why does it still not sound like an apology then? To me it sounds like WB isn't apologizing for a crap game so much as they are apologizing for PC gamers being entitled. Like they're not sorry for a bad port, they're sorry you threw such a little hissy fit when your precious frame-rate dropped.

And the whole thing with the DLC just comes across as inflammatory. Like sorry PS4 and Xbone users. We would work on the Batgirl DLC, but the glorious PC master race needs a diaper change! So don't blame us! We're not the ones who complained so much the game got taken down! That was the PC gamers fault!

God, everything WB does just diggers them deeper and deeper into their own grave.
I think you missed the part where they're only delaying it on PC.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
WB apologizes for Batman, Ubisoft apologizes for Watch_Dogs, Bethesda apologizes for mods, Sega apologizes to its fans...

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
WB apologizes for Batman, Ubisoft apologizes for Watch_Dogs, Bethesda apologizes for mods, Sega apologizes to its fans...
And yet all of them are doing jack shit to fix things.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
endtherapture said:
Arkham Knight wasnt anywhere near as bad as Assassins Creed: Unity. Stop being entitled.

Antigonius said:
Am I the only one, who has that weird feeling, that WB just went full Konami, deleted the game from PC entirely and now just saying this "we'll fix it", just so that some angry fans won't burn their families?
If that were the case then they wouldnt have bothered with the initial patching in the first place, nor would they have bothered issuing this statement.

And while the game cannot be purchased on Steam, the store page remains open. If they had no intention of selling it again, they would have closed the store page.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
gigastar said:
Arkham Knight wasnt anywhere near as bad as Assassins Creed: Unity. Stop being entitled.
But he is entitled. Entitled to a game that works.
Entitled to a working product, yes. Presumably he paid for it, he deserves that much.

However, thats not an entitlement to free content. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
You know, I know porting a game can be costly and what not after reading Shamus' article, but it seems to me that it would've cost WB a lot less money if they'd just done this right the first time considering all the money it's probably costing them to fix it; not to mention lost sales and what not.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Translation:

"Don't worry PC gamers, we'll make sure you have your game eventually fixed so that it runs like it should have when you first bought it! Perhaps you could show your gratitude by buying some additional DLC!"

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
gigastar said:
endtherapture said:
Wow, people will bring the entitled argument up anywhere now.

I'm entitled to a product that works. Usually in customer service, to win back a customers trust and satisfy them, vouchers, discount, free products should be offered. Given the scale of Rocksteady's fuck up with Arkham Knight, if they wanna sell any DLC on PC, they'll have to do something special to regain our trust.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
endtherapture said:
gigastar said:
endtherapture said:
I'm entitled to a product that works.
You are, but nobody is under any obligation to give you free content for any reason. Thats what i mean about being entitled.

endtherapture said:
Given the scale of Rocksteady's fuck up with Arkham Knight, if they wanna sell any DLC on PC, they'll have to do something special to regain our trust.
For most people, simply delivering something that works is enough. If thats not enough for you, then youre free to abstain and nobody will think less of you for it.