Blade Will Meet His Daughter in New Marvel Comic

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Blade Will Meet His Daughter in New Marvel Comic

Blade: The Hunter will introduce Fallon Grey, the 16-year old daughter of Marvel's favorite vampire hunter.

When I picture the character <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/blade>of Blade, the first thing that comes to mind is Wesley Snipes. Sue me, I haven't read much of Blade in actual comics. That being the case, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/marvel%20comics?os=marvel+comics>Marvel Comics has revealed today that it has plans to give comic readers like me a new chance to acquaint themselves with its resident vampire hunter, as well as his newly discovered teenage daughter.

Said chance will come by way of a new comic series dubbed Blade: The Hunter. Beginning this October, the new series by writer Tim Seeley and artist Logan Faerber will focus in on the tale of Fallon Grey, a 16-year old girl who also happens to be Blade's long lost daughter. According to Seeley, the idea to focus on Blade's daughter stemmed from Marvel's desire to help give the character more depth and explore different facets of who he is. "I decided Blade needed something to care about," he said. "He can't go on just to stab vampires in their heads anymore. It's not fulfilling. His rage and hate is subsiding as he gets older. And that's when Fallon Grey comes along!"

Fallon herself will be an "anti-Peter Parker" who, prior to the series' beginning, was the popular girl in school. "She's well-liked and it seems like the world is her oyster," Seeley explained. "But, the expectations that come with being so damn perfect are starting to break her down, and that's before she learns she's the heir to a Daywalking-Monster-Stabbing-Empire." This set-up will lead to a father-daughter team-up that will initially focus on the two getting to know each other before throwing into battle together against a mysterious new villain: Black Genus.

All in all, it definitely sounds like an interesting expansion of Blade's character. Whether or not it will be a hit with fans however, is something we'll have to wait and see

Source: <a href=http://marvel.com/news/comics/24872/sdcc_2015_blade>Marvel

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
That might be short sided of me, but that's what I instantly think of.
Ditto'd - the descriptions thus far seem like a straight homage to the first TV season of Buffy. Although she wasn't part of the 'in' crowd when she arrived in Sunnydale, and made a point of giving their like the swerve in favour of the nerdy, picked-upon duo of Willow and Xander.

OP: never read a Blade comic, but I'll keep an eye on how Blade's own Buffy variant turns out.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Heh I can't help to think how Blade will react to the discovery as in thinking who her mum is.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Wasn't there an arc on the Spiderman 90's series where Blade was searching for his daughter?

EDIT: NVM, it was his mother.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Fallon herself will be an "anti-Peter Parker" who, prior to the series' beginning, was the popular girl in school. "She's well-liked and it seems like the world is her oyster," Seeley explained. "But, the expectations that come with being so damn perfect are starting to break her down, and that's before she learns she's the heir to a Daywalking-Monster-Stabbing-Empire."
It's a really weird thing when an established universe like Marvel gets an unashamed Mary Sue.

Sep 24, 2008
Darth Rosenberg said:
ObsidianJones said:
Ditto'd - the descriptions thus far seem like a straight homage to the first TV season of Buffy. Although she wasn't part of the 'in' crowd when she arrived in Sunnydale, and made a point of giving their like the swerve in favour of the nerdy, picked-upon duo of Willow and Xander.

OP: never read a Blade comic, but I'll keep an eye on how Blade's own Buffy variant turns out.
Actually, if you follow the 'True Lore', Buffy in the movie was super popular in her first high school in Los Angeles. Buffy was unpopular at Sunnydale.

Scrythe said:
Fallon herself will be an "anti-Peter Parker" who, prior to the series' beginning, was the popular girl in school. "She's well-liked and it seems like the world is her oyster," Seeley explained. "But, the expectations that come with being so damn perfect are starting to break her down, and that's before she learns she's the heir to a Daywalking-Monster-Stabbing-Empire."
It's a really weird thing when an established universe like Marvel gets an unashamed Mary Sue.
To be fair, DC is rife with those things and people don't seem to mind. Batman can do anything because he's the batman and he really wants it to happen. Superman gets a new power with a new villain. The Lantern Corps are a large group of reality warpers.

And really, out of high school and talking to those once popular girls, the "pressures of being perfect breaking her down" thing seems super realistic.

Mazinger-Z

Aug 3, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
So... basically Marvel Black Buffy Summers?

She-Hulk and Spider-Woman were specifically created to copyright female versions of the Hulk and Spider-Man.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
ObsidianJones said:
Actually, if you follow the 'True Lore', Buffy in the movie was super popular in her first high school in Los Angeles. Buffy was unpopular at Sunnydale.
Hence why I said "when she arrived in Sunnydale".
Scrythe said:
Isn't it a bit silly to dismiss a character you know barely anything about - and with an overused trope, to boot? Surely you'd need to first know the character was just an inert puppet for the writer to throw that tag around.

Nothing they've said in that piece suggests or ID's her as a Mary Sue.

Sep 24, 2008
Darth Rosenberg said:
ObsidianJones said:
Hence why I said "when she arrived in Sunnydale".
We'll chalk this up to "I probably should have read closer".

You know. For reasons.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
StewShearer said:
When I picture the character <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/blade>of Blade, the first thing that comes to mind is Wesley Snipes. Sue me.
We should pool money for a good lawyer.

That said, if shes some kind of cardboard cutout of a perfect human it's going to be super boring. She needs to be at least 1 of the following:
1) Half werewolf
2) Closeted lesbian
3) Unashamed sadist

Preferably all 3 really....

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Caramel Frappe said:
Feels like comics now a days want to introduce new characters that should of been there from the start. Like this for example ... suddenly giving us Blade's daughter? That would be like suddenly having a Batman comic where he runs into a 16 year old girl who apparently is his daughter.... and Poison Ivy is the mother. Kind of forced right?

Don't get me wrong, I am not 'against' it but kinda brings me out of the immersion.
That's comics, all about the retcons. to be fair you can't foreshadow things that well because how writers switch out ever 2 to 3 years and what your talking about with batman did kind of happen

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Wow, just wow.

Blade is probably one of the few marketable black super heroes in all of comic-dom and they go and do this...

Just... wow.

I honestly can't put into words how disgusted I am at Marvel right now. Maybe the new Blade-ette can totally hang out with the All New Wolverine (Totally not X-23 guise!) and they can crack-wise in a totally self-referential and ironic way.

This is exactly the kind of garbage that made my Marvel pull-box go from 12 titles a month to 0. At least if the last thing I ever read from Marvel was the Waid/Samnee run on Dare Devil, I can say it ended on a good note - This? This I don't even know who they are trying to pander to anymore.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Gee I wonder if they are trying to capture any specific demographic...
And I wonder how long before she gets together with some sparkly arsed emo's which daddy dramatically disapproves of.

Actually I would be fine with all of that if it means he slices them up like salami in the end.