Wreck-it Ralph 2 is in Development

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Wreck-it Ralph 2 is in Development

Disney's video game-reference heavy Wreck-it Ralph is coming back for a second round.

Wreck-it Ralph was Disney's charming video game-themed animated movie about the titular Ralph, a Donkey Kong-style arcade machine villain, embarking on a journey across (video game) worlds to prove that he could be the hero. Now, according to John C. Riley, a sequel is in the works [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wreck-it-ralph-2-in-the-works/1100-6428855/].

Riley, who voices Ralph, recently told Irish radio show PTE Arena [https://twitter.com/pennyrosehart/status/620285481843036160] that he has "signed on" for the second movie, that is in development. Officially, Disney is being quiet on the movie for now, but director Rich Moore has talked openly about ideas for a follow-up in the past, going so far as to suggest a story-line featuring Nintendo's Mario.

The original Wreck-it Ralph was a huge success, pulling in close to $50 million during its first weekend, outperforming Walt Disney Animation Studios' previous record-holder, Tangled. It was generally well-received by critics and video game fans, who loved seeing classic characters such as Bowser, Zangeif, and Pac-man make cameo appearances.

We've reached out to Disney for more information.

Source: Gamespot [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wreck-it-ralph-2-in-the-works/1100-6428855/]

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I'm conflicted.
I liked the first 1/3rd of the original, but hated the rest.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Well damn, guess I'll have to get around to watching the first one soon then (I'm perpetually playing catch-up when it comes to movies). It's one of those films I've been meaning to see for a long time, but have never actually done so for one reason or another.

Captcha: "gangnam style"

Looks like I'm not the only one behind the times...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Hmmm. The first one was a ball of fun for all ages. Let's see where they take it (the sharing game thing was pretty awesome) but I'm always cautious with sequels these days. Too many burns from the past. <.<

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Redlin5 said:
Hmmm. The first one was a ball of fun for all ages. Let's see where they take it (the sharing game thing was pretty awesome) but I'm always cautious with sequels these days. Too many burns from the past. <.<
Especially Disney sequels. Gonna be very cautious about this one.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
RaikuFA said:
...Especially Disney sequels. Gonna be very cautious about this one.
You don't have to be too cautious unless it is picked up by DisneyToon studios

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
I don't want to see this for the same reason that I don't want to see the second Incredibles

I heavily enjoyed the first one, and feel it can only go downhill from there with the way they did the movie.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I think I remember hearing that the director had an idea to make it so the home console characters could manage to make an appearance this time around. I think that would be pretty neat.

Anyway, I'm on board. I loved the first one.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I am optimisic for the sequel. Now if only they have more cameo and screen time of the other games characters.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Ah, finally! The first movie had so much potential to delve into gaming's world and tropes, but focussed mainly on that entirely overlong sequence in Lollipop Racing Land, or whatever it was called. Don't get me wrong, there were still good bits in that part, but they couldn't hope to compete on any level with the first third of the film. Maybe in the sequel they can expand on the great core concept and, more importantly, find a better balance between sequences. I am cautiously optimistic.

vkola

Jul 12, 2011
Think I read somewhere that the director would like to have Mario and some other iconic Nintendo character in the sequel. One can only hope. Would be nice to see Link in a cameo with his "HYA HYA HYA" yelling :)

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I honestly can't see how this would work, the storyline from the first one is sufficiently closed off that another sequel isn't necessary.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Meh, the first film was alright, but I'm going to have to echo the opinion that it kind of became less interesting once they reached (and remained in) that candy land.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Oh goody Disney are making sequels again because that worked so well last time /s

Has John Lasseter been sacked? because after being put in charge of Disney's animation department the first thing he did was stop sequels just look at Pixar after he left nothing but sequels and plummeting reviews (yes inside out is good but they put out several turkeys in the mean time).

Also Tangled made $120 million more than the mediocre Wreck it Ralph and underperformed originally, I guess Wreck it Ralph got more toy sales to get a sequel hmm sounds like the reason we got a Cars 2.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Yay! Another story getting a sequel that really doesn't need one!

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Here's a thought- despite the best efforts of Ralph & Co., the arcade is going out of business. All the characters escape being unplugged by going through the ethernet cord connected to one of the newer arcade machines. They bounce around the internet until the end up in the home of a lonely Japanese gamer who owns Nintendo and Sony consoles, who's characters are locked in a bitter console war. Blah blah blah the opposing characters realise their games offer different experiences and they can happily coexist. B story about the lonely gamer discovering he/she could make more friends by going to the local arcade (maybe some gag about them trying online play and having their ears immediately filled with slurs by prepubescent boys).

vkola said:
Would be nice to see Link in a cameo with his "HYA HYA HYA" yelling :)
And there's a scene where he's alone, he opens his mouth to think out aloud to himself, and out comes a deep James Earl Jones baritone.

Sealpower

Jun 7, 2010
Heh, that's nice I guess. They really should make it about Ralph and crew having to deal with their franchise getting rebooted... That could get interesting!

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
P-89 Scorpion said:
Oh goody Disney are making sequels again because that worked so well last time /s

Has John Lasseter been sacked? because after being put in charge of Disney's animation department the first thing he did was stop sequels just look at Pixar after he left nothing but sequels and plummeting reviews (yes inside out is good but they put out several turkeys in the mean time).
Lasseter put a stop to the shitty, assembly-line, direct-to-video sequels. Didn't stop them from making Winnie the Pooh (and honestly, maybe it should have; frankly it wasn't much better). But as you said, Pixar has become something of a sequel factory, and no, it's not because he "left"; he's the head of both studios. For what it's worth, none of them were offensively awful like some of the direct-to-video sequels were, not even Cars 2. And from what I've read, the creators of Wreck-It Ralph were excited about the prospect of getting to make a sequel, so you know it won't be cookie-cutter, contractual-obligation crap at least.

truckspond said:
You don't have to be too cautious unless it is picked up by DisneyToon studios
Heck, even then. Planes: Fire and Rescue was a marked improvement over its predecessor (yes, I was forced to sit through both Planes movies) just on the strength of its message alone.