Fans Petition Nintendo For a Satoru Iwata Amiibo

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Fans Petition Nintendo For a Satoru Iwata Amiibo

More than 12,000 people have signed the petition requesting that Nintendo design an amiibo of Satoru Iwata.

Following the has launched a petition [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141536-Nintendo-President-Satoru-Iwata-Dies] requesting that Nintendo honor Iwata-san in the form of amiibo. At the time of this posting, the petition has garnered more than 12,000 signatures.

The petition reads:

""On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Iwata-san

Satoru Iwata's importance to modern gamers is more than words could ever describe. After helping to create some of Nintendo's biggest fanchises such as Pokemon, Earthbound and Super Smash Bros., Mr. Iwata's legacy influences and inspires anyone who has ever picked up a Wiimote or 3DS stylus.
Mr. Iwata's business knowledge and work ethic as Nintendo's CEO will always be remembered. Being responsible for Nintendo's most profitable times and taking responsibility for Nintendo's financially turbulent times, Mr. Iwata has made several tough decisions based on a simple tenet: "Is this Nintendo?"

These are just a few reasons why we should honor Satoru Iwata with his very own amiibo. Even if the amiibo itself lacks in-game functionality, it serves as a small reminder of Iwata's legacy and accomplishments.

*Please note that this petition is not affiliated with Nintendo, Satoru Iwata, or the family or Satoru Iwata and will be respectfully taken down upon request by Nintendo or the family of Satoru Iwata*"

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
So more than 12,000 people can't see what a horrible idea this is. Just imagine. The guy just died and they want the corporation to make a tiny little figurine of their former president and sell it. They'd have to sell it. You can't expect them to make it for free.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Better idea: don't ask Nintendo to make it. Instead, pool the money together and make one yourselves, then present it to Nintendo or his family. That seems like it's in much better taste.

Michael Legault

Feb 27, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
So more than 12,000 people can't see what a horrible idea this is. Just imagine. The guy just died and they want the corporation to make a tiny little figurine of their former president and sell it. They'd have to sell it. You can't expect them to make it for free.
They could donate proceeds to a charity, I'm sure Iwata supported at least one during his lifetime. I would buy one of his Mii lol

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
mikozero said:
I need more tissues.

You might be right Adam..."but its the thought that counts".

What these people want is "a keep sake" and as dumb and dissectible as that might be...some of the oldest Human things around are "keep sakes"...this is the Humam heart in the driving seat.

We're not wholly rational beings.

thankfully.

"They'd have to sell it. You can't expect them to make it for free."

The amount of money they have in the bank VS a thing thats basically as large as a large plastic key ring....

oh they could give it away free. cooporations give away crap all the time (the classic example nowadays being usb drives).

But even if they do charge just give the mony to charity or something. i'm sure Satoru Iwata probably had some charity patronage.
No. They'd have to charge for it because why would they lose money on purpose? It's a business after all. Every decision they make is about profit.
The best case scenario if they decide to do this is to donate some of the profit to cancer research. But they won't do it if it hurts their bottom line. They've been struggling as it is. And now with Iwata's passing there's a lot of uncertainty at Nintendo.

Barbas said:
Better idea: don't ask Nintendo to make it. Instead, pool the money together and make one yourselves, then present it to Nintendo or his family. That seems like it's in much better taste.
Good idea. All they need is an artist and a 3d printer. 3d printing is only going to become more popular as we go forward. I can already see 3d printing webpages in the near future where you'll be able to buy or download schematics for free. Everyone with a 3d printer could then buy Iwata amiibo schematic and it could be set up so that the money goes towards cancer research or some charity or something.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Make a Iwata ammibo, sell it, all proceeds to go cancer research, Nintendo gets a big tax write off.
From what I understand Iwata was a pretty big player in pushing Amiibos, so in my opinion it really isn't that tasteless.

DanteRL

Jan 14, 2010
First of all, how would his family feel about it? If they're ok with it, that might be fine.

But Barbas' idea of making one and presenting to Nintendo sounds a lot more like a fan manifestation, I would chip in.
Maybe like, make a big one, or several amiibos, and give to Nintendo to auction them, with the money going to a cancer research charity. How about that?

StorkV

Sep 6, 2014
mikozero said:
StorkV said:
disturbing...
There are peoples graves in games.

even heart wrenching represtations of the fight against thier illness and passing.

Crusader Bridenbrad in WoWs Wrath of the Lich King for example;

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/Crusader_Bridenbrad

which was considerd to be one of the most affecting questlines they ever put in the game (even if you didn't know the RL backstory).

Indeed there have been mutile graves of/and or tributes to RL people passing in WoW since "vannilla".
It's one thing to make a tribute to someone in a video game and it's another to want a doll of someone who just died...

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Danny Dowling said:
One free to everyone that ever registered something on Club Nintendo.
Would be kind of unfair for us who couldn't use club nintendo due to region bullshit :(

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
RejjeN said:
Danny Dowling said:
One free to everyone that ever registered something on Club Nintendo.
Would be kind of unfair for us who couldn't use club nintendo due to region bullshit :(
Oh, I wasn't aware of that.

One free to all owners of a current Nintendo console (Wii U or 3DS)? Tweet a pic of you with your console and apply via Nintendo website.

[edit] If this comes to fruition it should be like the statue of Walt Disney with Mickey. Except obviously it would be Iwata holding Mario's hand.