Batman Needs Robin

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Batman Needs Robin

Writers seem to prefer the loner take on Batman. This is why they're wrong.

Read Full Article

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
I should point out that there is also a story mission where you team up with the actual current Robin as well.

SeventhSigil

Jun 24, 2013
I actually really enjoyed the Predator sequence where you and Robin are working together, as you see your partner swinging through the rafters along with you, calling out take-downs to each other and coordinating attacks. That and the combat sequences actually, for me at least NAILED the dynamic of two competent crime fighters working in tandem to accomplish a goal, and while I didn't mind the Batmobile- outside those sodding hide-and-seek ones involving the uber tanks- I do agree with Shamus that making tandem crime-fighting the focus instead of the 'mobile would have made for a much better game overall. Definitely a missed opportunity, and though the series might be getting a bit long in the tooth, I really wouldn't object to another title that expanded on the possibilities of having more than one of the 'Family' working together on a regular basis.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Hey give me the campness and bad puns of the 60s TV show any day. Gritty realism has become a cliche, gave me camp silliness.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
When the first solo Batman title in years came out, it was a refreshing change. Now it's kind of boilerplate, and boring. Batman's often the least interesting part of Gotham.

The question with a game like this is how that dynamic will play out. It sounds like Rocksteady put some effort into teaming Bats up with other characters. But it wouldn't have shocked me to see them half-ass it. The half-assing is the reason everyone looks down on Robin, I think. There hasn't been much of a serious pop-culture attempt to work with the character in modern times.

Jan 12, 2012
albino boo said:
Hey give me the campness and bad puns of the 60s TV show any day. Gritty realism has become a cliche, gave me camp silliness.
Does it have to be one or the other? In the comics, Batman actually has a sense of humour, and with the members of the Bat-family there is a lot more lightness of tone, getting closer to a real noir with heavy pulp, without having the total dance party silliness.

Note to editors: There is a missing comma in the first paragraph, between "Bat Girl" (which should be one word) and "Batwoman".

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
The next game should be all about Bat Mite or it shouldn't happen!

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
You know I didn't hate the Batmobile. It was fun to drive around the city, even if I didn't particularly like the controls.

However, they should have cut out some of it's use. It shouldn't have been necessary for near as many Riddler trophies. They should have cut out the Riddler races completely. And with a few other minor changes, say 10% less Batmobile in the main story, I feel we would have had the perfect amount of Batmobile.

Also, no tank battle with Deathstroke. We should have found a location that Deathstroke built up a base of operations in. Should start with a Predator takedown of the guards outside. Then, fight some goons inside. Then, finally a one on one fight with the Terminator. That would have done Deathstroke justice.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Shamus, what happened? You titled the article about Robin, and yet you didn't talk about Robin's part in Arkham Knight? He got to do something that the other two did: he helped with Predator mode too, which is something that I think would have been a lot more fun if they had given us more.

But I do agree with this article. These team fights should have been much more involved in the game and taken the place of the Batmobile. Apparently the Batgirl DLC will have us teaming up with Robin, so here's hoping they've thrown a lot more of it in.

Valeran

Apr 1, 2010
Am I missing something? He referred to it as the "third game," and then said it was the end of a "trilogy."

Is Origins not being counted for being a prequel, even though from a development point of view, Knight is definitely the fourth game. (Which is relevant, I think.)

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Valeran said:
Am I missing something? He referred to it as the "third game," and then said it was the end of a "trilogy."

Is Origins not being counted for being a prequel, even though from a development point of view, Knight is definitely the fourth game. (Which is relevant, I think.)
It's considered the Rocksteady trilogy. Origins isn't counted because it wasn't made by Rocksteady. However, Rocksteady honoured the story in Origins as canon.

I would hope they would do something like Batman Beyond, but whatever it is, I look forward to Rocksteady's next work.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Valeran said:

Origins wasn't made by Rocksteady, WB just wanted to put out another Batman game so they had another studio do it. As such, Asylum, City, and Knight are considered Rocksteady's "Batman Trilogy".

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Saltyk said:
You know I didn't hate the Batmobile. It was fun to drive around the city, even if I didn't particularly like the controls.

However, they should have cut out some of it's use. It shouldn't have been necessary for near as many Riddler trophies. They should have cut out the Riddler races completely. And with a few other minor changes, say 10% less Batmobile in the main story, I feel we would have had the perfect amount of Batmobile.

Also, no tank battle with Deathstroke. We should have found a location that Deathstroke built up a base of operations in. Should start with a Predator takedown of the guards outside. Then, fight some goons inside. Then, finally a one on one fight with the Terminator. That would have done Deathstroke justice.
Oh god yes to the Deathstroke thing! I was so excited when I saw that he was in the game (I never played Arkham Origins so I didn't get to fight him there), I was eagerly anticipating the moment when I could fight one of the DC universes greatest assassins. Having it just be another tank battle, a near carbon copy of the battle with the Arkham Knight earlier in the game was a huge letdown.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Yes, where is Dick Grayson, age 12? Now that the goddamn Batman has his goddamn bat-tank he and Dick Grayson, age 12, can get down to some good ol' wanton destruction.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
The sad thing about the Deathstroke thing was he was easily one the best boss fights in all four games. It was insanely difficult (especially on Hard New Game+) but made you really feel your were going toe to toe with man.

I was sad to see less Predator team ups (the one just wasn't as fun).

Also no mention of the tactical element to the Catwoman team fights where only one of the two characters can take out certain enemies. That also interested a new dynamic to the fights that was fun.

One thing I did like was finally getting a proper predator boss battle in the form of the Arkham Knight, different problems added than the usual routine in those sequences. As well as making most them in general more open area than claustrophobic like they were previously. It just added something new to the challenge.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Well, that seems to be a pattern with lots of franchises. A game introduces a new features, but only temporarily, or sometimes as DLC (Looking at you Blazblue). Once the next game comes out, it's a standard feature, provided it didn't get run into the ground by the fans or the critics.
Of course, with Arkham Knight having just come out, we should probably just ignore the franchise's fantasy sequel for now rather than waiting with baited breath for it to come out.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, just imagine; Instead of the forced Bat-tank sections you'd get side-kick quests where either Robin or Bat Girl would accompany you around the city. Gliding 'n grappling together along the rooftops and beating up thugs as much as you wanted untill their particular quest line was done.