Watch: Deus Ex Creators Play the Game 15 Years Later

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Watch: Deus Ex Creators Play the Game 15 Years Later

In honor of the 15th anniversary of Deus Ex, the game's founders take a trip down memory lane by playing the original title.

Lead Programmer and Assistant Director Chris Norden, Lead Writer Sheldon Pacotti, and Producer and Project Director Warren Spector teamed up once more in celebration of the 15th anniversary of Deus Ex for a playthrough of the game. In the hour-long video, the trio refresh their memories, dissect the game, discuss the creation process, and share some cool trivia.

"The thing that just amazes me is that people out there in the real world still care. They're still playing it," Spector said at the end. "And for me, the thing I'm most proud of is that we were all part of something bigger than ourselves. A lot of people ask me how I feel about the new Deus Ex games. I think they expect me to be angry or upset. But really, all I am is happy and proud to have been a part of it and to see it ongoing."

"When we were making the game we had no idea what it was going to turn into. And thanks to all the fans and everybody, they just kept it alive," Norden added. "And the new games are just awesome. I'm really looking forward to trying the newest one."

"It was great to see it cohere into a franchise that continues on, that has a center, and has some consistency," Pacotti said.

The three agree that they did something "really special," that not many people get to do.

The celebration of the 15th anniversary of Deus Ex kicked off earlier this summer, with the launch of a four-part documentary. Parts two [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141366-Deus-Ex-Celebrates-Anniversary-With-A-Documentary-Voting-on-Mankind-Divided-Extras] have been released already, and feature the original trio discussing their games, the franchise, and their hopes for the future.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Lizzy Finnegan said:
"The thing that just amazes me is that people out there in the real world still care. They're still playing it," Spector said "...But really, all I am is happy and proud to have been a part of it and to see it ongoing."
This attitude is just fantastic. A man who is just pleased to have contributed to something bigger. My hat's off to Spector.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Warren Spector is a pioneer and was a part of some of the most transformative game projects in history.

The games he and his teams created were really the first to truly achieve a high level of immersion.

They created worlds with enough foresight, interactivity, and just enough realism to make it easy to suspend disbelief and lose yourself.

Ultima Underworld, System Shock 1 & 2 and Deus Ex (and I heard it was good but never played Thief) were the best gaming experiences because they sucked you into their world.

I literally played Deus Ex 1 80 hours a week for a month because I got so hooked on it.

About the only relatively modern game that came close to the experience is STALKER (1, the others arent as good).

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
I always like watching developers playing through their games.

I remember I watched a Ratchet & Clank one where two guys who worked on the second and third one (I think) played through the entire PS2 trilogy. It was pretty fun.