Report: Batman: Arkham Knight's Broken PC Port Wont Be Fixed Till Fall

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: Batman: Arkham Knight's Broken PC Port Wont Be Fixed Till Fall

A leaked email from retailer EB Games claims that Batman: Arkham Knight's woeful PC port won't be fixed until September.

So Batman: Arkham Knight's PC port was so horrendously broken that publisher Warner Bros. actually went ahead and spewing out DLC for the console versions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141347-Batman-Arkham-Knight-Removed-From-Steam-Store] meaning a PC fix is right around the corner, right? Well, according to a leaked email from Australian video games retailer EB Games, PC gamers may be waiting on that fix until well into the fall.

"As previously advised," read an internal EB Games email, "we have stopped sales of Batman: Arkham Knight PC while Warner and Rocksteady work on addressing performance issues with the game. The latest information from Warner is that the updates won't be available until Spring. Due to this we have made the difficult decision to recall all PC stock from stores to return to the vendor until an acceptable solution is released."

Obviously, Australia being "down under" means that the "spring" in this email is referring to the months of September - November. From the looks of things, EB is fed up enough with waiting that it's just going to send all those unsold copies back - which seems like a reasonable discourse given that spring (fall) is still two months away.

We've reached out to Warner Bros. for an official comment, and will update this post if they respond differently.

Source: Kotaku Australia [http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/07/batman-arkham-knight-wont-be-fixed-on-pc-until-spring-claims-leaked-email/]

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Send all the copies back? Wow! I thought outsourcing was meant to be a method of saving money and maximizing profits, looks like it cost them much more in the long run here

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
I had a lot of faith in this release too. There are so many places this release failed for PC:

- Warner Bros
- Starting the port extremely late in development
- Heavy use of experimental technology
- An aging game engine (it was amazing once, but it is showing its age)
- Potential management issues outside of WB
- Targeting consoles as the primary platform (I'm sorry - this will hold PC games back 99/100 times)

I won't say my faith in Rocksteady themselves has been affected, but I will start being cautious around any of their PC ports since their choice of outsourcing partners is questionable at best. I definitely won't be buying any Warner Bros games until *well* after release anymore.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
kajinking said:
Send all the copies back? Wow! I thought outsourcing was meant to be a method of saving money and maximizing profits, looks like it cost them much more in the long run here
You know the old saying: There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it twice.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
For NVIDIA GTX deal, I had a choice between Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight as part of a deal.

The easy choice just because the obvious choice.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: Porting.

This is why timed exclusives do not bother me in the slightest.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Wow... just... wow. I'd say I'm surprised, but I'm really not. Their words may be "We're trying out hardest.", but their actions say "We're just gonna focus on DLC for consoles and get around to the PC port once we make a little more money." Yeah, throw in the fact that around this time PC players are going to be getting X-Com 2 and Fallout 4. I can almost imagine the giant middle finger PC gamers be throwing their way at this time.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
So after making a pretty huge mistake these guys are spending the time to make sure it's right now. Now we're going to jump up and down on them for not doing it fast enough? Isn't that what got them in trouble in the first place.

Sometimes I think the community wants a trainwreck as opposed to a working game.

In the accusations of them focusing on DLC we have no idea of the relative experience of team members. I've worked for people who think every engineer can just pick anything up and instantly do work. I'm sure everyone who can do work on the PC port is. Everyone else however has to do something they may as well work on the other projects.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
*nom nom nom* I'm just enjoying myself here, this trainwreck is entertaining as hell.

*munch munch munch* Anyone wants some?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Fuck them. I'm glad they're losing money. You can't just sell a broken product to people knowing full well that it's broken and expect to make money. And as somebody pointed out, they'll be competing with Fallout 4. Hilarious. I won't buy this game until it's less than $10 on Steam.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: Porting.

This is why timed exclusives do not bother me in the slightest.
Ditto. Also why I'm thankful I got the PS4 version instead of the PC version.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Why are people angry, this doesn't say they won't be working on it and are concentrating only on Console, this says that the game is so broken, that they won't have the patch ready till September. The PC fixes are done by different people than the Console DLC and patches.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
It sucks that it will take time but I'm happy they they are going to take their time with it and not rush it. Rushing the development of games usually makes the game worse. Looking at you KOTOR 2. Personally though I believe any and all DLC should be free on the PC because of what happened.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Bat Vader said:
It sucks that it will take time but I'm happy they they are going to take their time with it and not rush it.
No one should ever be happy about a company who rushed a broken game and are then taking their time to fix it. Is there any other entertainment industry who treats its customers with such contempt? I can't think of one.

Does anyone know if the September detail been confirmed, though?

Rushing the development of games usually makes the game worse. Looking at you KOTOR 2.
That's surely not an apt comparison. KotOR II pretty much launched unfinished, but what was there was very solid in terms of build and an experience. Whereas Arkham Knight shipped finished and [mostly] bug fixed alongside an almost self-sabotaged PC version.

Personally though I believe any and all DLC should be free on the PC because of what happened.
I think that'd be only fair (which is probably reason enough for Warner to not do it... ).

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Ralancian said:
So after making a pretty huge mistake these guys are spending the time to make sure it's right now. Now we're going to jump up and down on them for not doing it fast enough? Isn't that what got them in trouble in the first place.

Sometimes I think the community wants a trainwreck as opposed to a working game.

In the accusations of them focusing on DLC we have no idea of the relative experience of team members. I've worked for people who think every engineer can just pick anything up and instantly do work. I'm sure everyone who can do work on the PC port is. Everyone else however has to do something they may as well work on the other projects.

This is far too shortsighted.

It's was never the point that they are spending addional time fixing severe bugs - it's _all_ about that they need to spent additional time on it _at all_, when all that what was required from WB was to ship a finished, functional product.

It is a good business pratice to sell you a car and then tell afterwards the tires are to be delivered in two months or so?
Not in my book.

Uhuru N'Uru

Oct 8, 2014
EndlessSporadic said:
I had a lot of faith in this release too. There are so many places this release failed for PC:

- Warner Bros
- Starting the port extremely late in development
- Heavy use of experimental technology
- An aging game engine (it was amazing once, but it is showing its age)
- Potential management issues outside of WB
- Targeting consoles as the primary platform (I'm sorry - this will hold PC games back 99/100 times)

I won't say my faith in Rocksteady themselves has been affected, but I will start being cautious around any of their PC ports since their choice of outsourcing partners is questionable at best. I definitely won't be buying any Warner Bros games until *well* after release anymore.
Only one failure, Warner Bros. They are the Publisher and own the franchise, they make all the decisions and all the other parties are employees and everything they do is approved by WB.

Always the publisher whose responsible for this sort of mess.

As for rereleasing they might as well wait for a complete version, with all DLC included free, as an apology,
Without that it's nothing but a Steam Sale game, an 80% off one at that.