Warner Bros. Announces "Interim Patch" For Batman: Arkham Knight on PC

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Warner Bros. Announces "Interim Patch" For Batman: Arkham Knight on PC

The patch will be released in August, and will address "many of the issues" previously acknowledged for Batman: Arkham Knight on PC.

The issued an apology [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141320-Players-of-the-PC-Version-of-Arkham-Knight-are-Reporting-Gameplay-Issues] for the state of the title.

Although a report recently surfaced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141623-Batman-Arkham-Knights-PC-Port-Broken-Until-September] that indicated that the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight would not be fixed until this Fall, Warner Bros. has now announced that they will be releasing a patch for those still playing - or attempting to play - the PC version of the game.

"As an update, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Rocksteady and our partners are targeting an interim patch update for existing players to be released in August," the June 27 update [http://steamcommunity.com/app/208650/announcements]. We will provide additional details as we finalize that interim patch over the coming weeks.

"We would like to thank you for your continued patience and invaluable feedback. We are continuing to monitor and listen for any additional issues and are driving towards a full update for everyone as quickly as we possibly can."

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wait, whats the new information? Steve did a post on this already, but I'm checking this one for new information. I can't find it.

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Silentpony said:
Wait, whats the new information? Steve did a post on this already, but I'm checking this one for new information. I can't find it.
Steve wrote about the report that stated the game itself wouldn't be fixed until Fall, which I linked to. The upcoming patch is a new announcement from the Steam page.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Warner Bros is trying to patch up a sunken ship and expecting it to magically float to the top. Its shit like this that makes me want to avoid them completely, because they thought we wouldn't care or notice. Looks like Ubisoft's getting a partner in crime

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Renegade-pizza said:
Warner Bros is trying to patch up a sunken ship and expecting it to magically float to the top. Its shit like this that makes me want to avoid them completely, because they thought we wouldn't care or notice. Looks like Ubisoft's getting a partner in crime
Because of 1 game, ooh the horror.

Unity is still broken according to a few of my mates and its nearly been a year since it's release. Unlike Ubisoft it looks like WB is actually trying its hardest to fix it, should it of happened ion the first place? No. But i have a lot more faith in them than most other developers.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
arc1991 said:
Unity is still broken according to a few of my mates and its nearly been a year since it's release. Unlike Ubisoft it looks like WB is actually trying its hardest to fix it, should it of happened ion the first place? No. But i have a lot more faith in them than most other developers.
Is that the PC Unity? I have Unity on the ps4 and have experienced no problems that I can recall. Coincidently am playing it right now in fact. This is of course after the 6-gig general anaesthetic was administered. Though, being blissfully unaware of Unity's previous state does help, admittidly.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:
arc1991 said:
Is that the PC Unity? I have Unity on the ps4 and have experienced no problems that I can recall. Coincidently am playing it right now in fact. This is of course after the 6-gig general anaesthetic was administered. Though, being blissfully unaware of Unity's previous state does help, admittidly.
Yeh, my mate has Unity on the pc and apparently its still broken.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Why not just hurry up with the big patch, instead of putting out a mini patch and then leaving it two months?

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
Why not just hurry up with the big patch, instead of putting out a mini patch and then leaving it two months?
If a lot of the things are already fixed, why make everyone who is still trying to play it wait until the rest of the things are fixed and the game is put back up for sale?

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
There are some game companies that I simply will NOT buy from near the release date due to bugs; Bethesda(They are pretty famous for bugs at this point), Obsidian(I fucking love their games but they are buggy as hell usually), ANYTHING published by Ubisoft, and any FPS published by EA. with the sheer incompetence of this whole process and the time it's taking to get fixed, Rocksteady are getting shoved onto that list until things show signs of improvement and lessons having been learned.

With that in mind, I'm going to be watching for patch notes.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Gearhead mk2 said:
Hurrying is why we got a shit PC port in the first place. I'd rather them release a mini-patch to allow those who already own it and haven't returned it (or got it for free through promotion) to at least play a passable version while they rectify their mistake on a more grand scale. They fucked up once and you're begging for them to fuck up even more by rushing it out. The PC port was given to a company that had no business porting anything to PC, and gave said company fuckall of a deadline to get it done by. Its ludicrous to push WB to hurry up and fuck even more up.
It sucks for people who've been waiting to play the game as it was advertised, and horribly shitty of WB to do this to its customers, but it'd be even worse to fuck them over again in the name of speed.
I'm not defending WB so much as telling it like it is.

I will say this about PC ports, they're not super easy things to do. Rockstar was hella smart not releasing GTA V right away to avoid the fiasco that was IV on PC. When porting to PC they have to take into account in their optimizing that they aren't just porting to a specific, locked set of hardware but rather the myriad combinations of hardware that PC's can contain. Rushing the hell out of a PC port is by and large the dumbest thing any company can do, and WB should have delayed the launch on PC until they knew it had a success rate that overshadowed the failure rate. No port will be perfect and work on every PC with the required (at least) specs, but that number of failures should be less than 20% to be even remotely successful.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
arc1991 said:
Because of 1 game, ooh the horror.
Knight was broken at launch. Origins was broken at launch. Shadow of Mordor was broken at launch. And MKX had several problems at launch. While not suffering from Arkham Knight scale performance issues, all of these are WB games. It is not just one game. And even if it was, it was a highly anticipated game. While I do agree that pulling it from Steam and several stores is the best idea, there is one thing that still bugs me. Seeing as the PC version of Arkham Origins was also developed by Iron Galaxy and it too suffered from a lot of hiccups, handing the game to the same studio that botched the port of the last game in the series is stupid.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Sight Unseen said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Right. Sorry, I misunderstood. It just seemed like a bit of a waste of time to put out a mini-patch then wait for months before putting out the big patch. I understand PC is hard to build for since there are so many variables.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Gearhead mk2 said:
Sight Unseen said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Right. Sorry, I misunderstood. It just seemed like a bit of a waste of time to put out a mini-patch then wait for months before putting out the big patch. I understand PC is hard to build for since there are so many variables.
I get you, I think it would be incredibly stupid of WB if they had a full guaranteed fix for all the major Arkham Knight problems and were sitting on it instead of releasing it now. They need all the goodwill they can get from PC customers as they got a huge chunk of profit taken away thanks to Steam Refunds, and no company is that incompetent. They were arrogant and ignorant of how to PC port a game, and they paid for it. The only way they'd stray into fully incompetet IMO is if they didn't fix the problem or somehow do something really anti-consumer. I'm giving them credit, while not necessarily letting them off the hook, for being transparent and trying to do something to help those who still have the game.
I'm wholly pissed because I wanted to complete my PC collection with Arkham Knight and have all the damn games on the most powerful platform, but dammit this shit happened. Its why I wait to buy a game until post-release.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
The two statements seem largely addressing different things.

The "Not fixed till Autumn/Spring" statement seems to much more of a estimate on when the game will have been patched to a state they are happy returning it to sale will at leas not do them any more harm.

The "theres an interim patch due in August" is saying some things will be fixed then, but the problems that remain means they feel the reaction to a release then will do more harm than good.

Ralancian

Jan 14, 2012
Glaice said:
Why would it take 50+ people to take this long to patch it?
a) 50+ people are not working on it

B)if they were there is no way that level of developers would produce something coherent worth using at the end

C) there is probably a small team of very stressed developers put there trying to sort out these problems and every story like this just adds fuel to the shit storm they are currently under. Feel for those guys as probably none of this is their fault.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Hopefully this is a warning to all AAA devs that we wont accept their bullshit broken releases. Release it in a decent state or get lost is the message here, even a popular and beloved series like the batman Arkham series is not immune to this.