Doomception? Modders Get Doom to Run Inside Doom

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Doomception? Modders Get Doom to Run Inside Doom

Modders have done the ultimate Doom challenge: getting Doom running... inside of Doom!

"Yes, but can you run Doom on it?" is the eternal question of the modding community, who have endeavored to port iD Software's classic shooter to pretty much every device imaginable, from mother-flipping printers [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeHtktKtGYQ]. But now, one ambitious modder has topped them all, by porting Doom into an in-game Doom arcade machine. That's right, he has gotten Doom to run... inside of Doom.

Technically, the feat is accomplished with "Classic Arcade" [http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/GZDoom], and brings with it semi-complete versions of both Doom and Doom-predecessor Wolfenstein 3D into the game. While the video shows that the only weapon available is the pistol, you still have to admire the insane amount of pointless effort involved in pulling something like this off.

At this stage, the only way anyone can top "The Zombie Killer" Doom-in-Doom mod is to actually somehow make another version of Doom playable from inside "Classic Arcade's" Doom arcade machine.

We need to go deeper!

Source: Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/07/doomception-how-modders-got-doom-to-run-inside-of-doom/]

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
"This game sucks!"

Goes back to playing Doom.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Being able to play that Doom Map (with that map for the arcade) in Doom 3 would probably be most hilarious way of doing it three-staged.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I swear, DOOM will run on any electronic device with a screen. There is always someone prepared to port it.

Do we have DOOM running on any space probes yet? NASA, get on it!

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Bindal said:
Being able to play that Doom Map (with that map for the arcade) in Doom 3 would probably be most hilarious way of doing it three-staged.
I think doing so would create some sort of quantum computational singularity.

STill is interesting.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Techno Squidgy said:
Probably, but none that are currently in use - but I bet at least one that is not used for scientific purpose anymore got turned into a literal Doom-Machine...

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Techno Squidgy said:
I swear, DOOM will run on any electronic device with a screen. There is always someone prepared to port it.

There's a whole blog [http://itrunsdoom.tumblr.com/] dedicated to finding out what people have managed to boot Doom (and sometimes Quake) into.

My personal favorites are the SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip and NCR Personas ATM (yes) running Doom, and an oscilloscope running Quake.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I have a feeling, this is really impressive if you're a modder or know coding. As a laymen, I don't really get it. To me it just look s like they've started another game, but with a border around it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Next step: being able to run mods on that in-game arcade machine so that you could in turn play Doom inside the Doom that you're playing in Doom.

eBusiness

Sep 19, 2012
Ukomba said:
I have a feeling, this is really impressive if you're a modder or know coding. As a laymen, I don't really get it. To me it just look s like they've started another game, but with a border around it.
Stick with your layman senses. As a programmer I don't see any particular difficulties in doing this. All you have to do is to run two simultaneous instances of Doom, and use the output of one as a texture in the other.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
These people need jobs. I don't mean that in the "get a job you loser!" sense, but if they have this kind of weird passion about doing things this pointless some company or studio should get them to put that drive in to ... something.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Now, the important question is how many orders of Doomception is it possible to have?

Can we have Doom within Doom within Doom to infinity?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Zer0Saber said:
Yes, but can it run Doom inside the Doom running in Doom?
renegade7 said:
Now, the important question is how many orders of Doomception is it possible to have?

Can we have Doom within Doom within Doom to infinity?
Probably. With the game essentially slaving controller input to the smaller screen, it could conceivably fo forever, though it would soon get too tiny to make out what you're doing. Just call it Doom C. Escher.