Project CARS Wii U Cancelled Due to Hardware Limitations

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Project CARS Wii U Cancelled Due to Hardware Limitations

Slightly Mad Studios has confirmed that the Wii U's hardware simply isn't beefy enough for Project CARS.

Project CARS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/project%20cars?os=project+cars], Slightly Mad Studio's ambitious ultra-realistic racing simulator will be skipping Nintendo's comparatively underpowered Wii U console, confirmed the developer today.

"The official line is that we're awaiting an announcement from Nintendo on new hardware. As of now pCARS is simply too much for the Wii U," Studio head Ian Bell told Nintendo Life [http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/07/exclusive_project_cars_simply_too_much_for_wii_u_developer_now_waiting_on_new_nintendo_hardware].

Publisher Namco Bandai later added that "Despite much perseverance on the Wii U version of Project CARS we will no longer be actively pursuing development on it as the quality does not meet our own high standards nor our intended vision for the title on this platform.

"We eagerly look forward to any announcement of further hardware from Nintendo but right now Project CARS is simply too much for Wii U despite our very best efforts. Apologies to our Nintendo fans out there that have been waiting for further news on this but have no desire to release a product that isn't at the very least comparable with our highest-rated versions on other platforms. We optimistically look forward therefore to what the future may hold."

So that's that, I guess, no Project CARS for Nintendo fans until the NX's hardware stats [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/nintendo%20nx?os=%20nintendo%20nx] are finally revealed.

Source: Nintendo Life [http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/07/exclusive_project_cars_simply_too_much_for_wii_u_developer_now_waiting_on_new_nintendo_hardware]

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Even if it did release, (with respects), would there even be an audience for it on the WiiU?

Even now I imagine that the biggest slice of fans are home on the PC version, with the consolers treating it like it's Forza or something. Especially when we consider that Project Cars is fantastic with a full racing setup.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Wow, that's like the biggest fuck you to fans since DmC. They made such a huge deal about the WiiU version, constant updates, constant praising of how well the development goes only to become silent and cancel the game after a while.
And I don't see how it's "too much" for the WiiU. Lower the graphics a bit and that's it. The game isn't something new and unique that can't be done. It's a freaking racing game.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Even if it did release, (with respects), would there even be an audience for it on the WiiU?

Even now I imagine that the biggest slice of fans are home on the PC version, with the consolers treating it like it's Forza or something. Especially when we consider that Project Cars is fantastic with a full racing setup.
Putting the graphics aside, isn't the insane amount of customization in the usage of steering wheel setups one of the main draws of this game? I don't think any of the "big boy" wheel setups I've seen have any Wii U compatibility as far as I know. And with the gamepad, the real view mirror is usually jammed on it which isn't all that special an experience.

Well, it might not be a Sim but at least the system got a fantastic port of Need For Speed. Also, it seems like a lot of devs are now holding their cards to see what the NX specs look like, which is killing Wii U support like I expected. Even Metroid's director says the next Prime would be on NX. I wouldn't expect many Wii U holdouts to be very excited at the prospect of lining up for an NX

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
Wow, that's like the biggest fuck you to fans since DmC. They made such a huge deal about the WiiU version, constant updates, constant praising of how well the development goes only to become silent and cancel the game after a while.
And I don't see how it's "too much" for the WiiU. Lower the graphics a bit and that's it. The game isn't something new and unique that can't be done. It's a freaking racing game.
Honestly, is there even a Racing Sim audience on the WiiU? I don't think Nintendo has ever had a deep racing sim on any console of their's. They probably have the capabilities to downgrade the WiiU version enough for release, but releasing it would wind up costing them money and time they don't have.

It takes more than "lowering the graphics", which is a silly thing to say because Graphics don't work like a knob you turn.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I love how Nintendo fans acted like this game was proof that Wii U didn't have hardware limitations. Oh well. Time for them to go back to how 3rd Parties hate Nintendo & its fans.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I really don't know why you bothered devs, unless you intended it to have Mario and Kart in the title no one playing the WiiU would give the slightest fuck about your game.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
Smooth Operator said:
I really don't know why you bothered devs, unless you intended it to have Mario and Kart in the title no one playing the WiiU would give the slightest fuck about your game.
And here I was looking forward to Fast Racing Neo but good to know that they should rename it in order to stir up interest

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I laughed. My buddy is such an uber fan boy of both cars and Nintendo that he nearly jizzed himself when I showed this game off on my powerful gaming PC. He swears by Nintendo and insists that his system is just as strong as any of the other ones. He even showed me the article that said pCars would be coming to WiiU. When I told him not to hold his breath, turns out....I was right.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I said it before and I'll say it again. The Wii U is a 7th generation console in the 8th generation. Way to be years late to that party, Nintendo. Everyone's long since left that and are now at the 8th gen party.

Looks like their focus on the casual market and silly extras instead of actual hardware power is starting to cost them.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
I said it before and I'll say it again. The Wii U is a 7th generation console in the 8th generation. Way to be years late to that party, Nintendo. Everyone's long since left that and are now at the 8th gen party.

Looks like their focus on the casual market and silly extras instead of actual hardware power is starting to cost them.
Yeah, I love Nintendo stuff, but at this point, it's obvious to anyone that isn't too blind to see.
The Wii U is basically the most powerful 7th gen console, by a big margin.
That margin is what lets some pretend it can keep up with the 8th gen systems, but... Really, who is anyone kidding?

Still 8th gen consoles are, relatively speaking, the weakest console generation in about 30 years, so...
Eh.

~goes back to planning how to upgrade my PC which is only just sort of having minor issues after 6 years with the same specs~