Pen & Paper RPG Torg Being Revised For 2016 Release

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Pen & Paper RPG Torg Being Revised For 2016 Release

Game distributor Ulisses Spiele has announced a new, revised version of the 1990s RPG Torg.

Originally launching at the beginning of the 1990s, Torg is remembered as one of the most interesting role-playing systems to come out of that decade. Sadly, it hasn't gotten much time in the limelight in recent years. That being the case, fans of Torg may be excited to learn that a new version has been announced today with plans for a release in the near future.

According to the announcement, the new edition will be published by the US division of the game distributor Ulisses Spiele and will be named Torg: Eternity. In addition to its new name, the game's mechanics are being altered to fit better with the streamlined tastes of modern <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/rpgs>RPG fans. That said, the game's development team is also working hard to make sure Torg: Eternity doesn't stray too far from the original product that gamers loved so much. Many of the team members developing the new version, for instance, also worked on the original game. "I really like this re-imagining of the TORG mythos," said Torg <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_2/11-The-Escapist-on-Greg-Gorden.2>co-creator Greg Gorden in a statement. "The streamlining and modernization of the game mechanics feel spot on. I cannot wait to play this game!"

Torg itself was first published in 1990 and followed the adventures of the player led Storm Knights as they fought to turn the tide against an multi-dimensional invasion of Earth. Designed to integrate elements from everything including sci-fi, fantasy, pulp adventures and more, it won over many gamers with its interesting mechanics, setting and focus on cinematic gameplay. Ulisses Spiele gained the rights to Torg after the closure of its original owners at West End Games. The new edition will launch as a full-color hardcover book next year in 2016.

Jan 12, 2012
JustAnotherAardvark said:
Interesting ... I still have a Torg d20 in my dice bag. Anyone else?
Never managed to find one, but it's on my list. At that time I only had a few dice and thought that would be all I'd ever need.

Torg was a really strange game, and the dice & cards together was kind of weird, but it was definitely worth playing if you could find a group willing to try. I've always thought that the whole 'write in your campaigns and maybe they'll become rumours in the setting' was an interesting idea that could benefit from using the internet.

Drake Barrow

Jan 10, 2010
Color me interested, provided they include Tharkhold. I never played, but I held it in the same regard as I did GURPS material - worth stripping to the bone and incorporating into other games.

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
Great news! I've been in a TORG group running weekly games for the past ten years. I highly recommend it. Great system, great setting. The drama deck, in particular, is a genius touch.