Former Witcher Developers Form New Studio Fool's Theory

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Former Witcher Developers Form New Studio Fool's Theory

The new studio, called Fool's Theory, was founded by former members of CD Projekt RED - the creators of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Former members of CD Projekt RED have announced the creation of a new studio, Fool's Theory, in a press release today. Members have worked on titles like The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Ancient Space, Hard West, Kholat "and many more smaller indie titles."

"We started working on a game that will be a daring combination of some isometric genres. I don't want to reveal too many details, I can only say that we are working on Unreal Engine 4," wrote Fool's Theory founder and former Senior Quest Designer for CD Projekt RED Jakub Rokosz. "It was a natural choice for us taking into consideration how experienced the team is in working with this tool. The game will break some proven schemes. More information coming soon."

It has also been announced that Fool's Theory has an "established cooperation" with IMGN.PRO, a Polish indie game developer and publisher, and the creators of the game Kholat, in order to create a "new, demanding and ambitious project."

"Evolution is a keyword for our business, as well as for our new production. Merging our team with the Fool's Theory crew gives us access to the best people in the industry," wrote IMGN.PRO co-owner Lukasz Kubiak. "Since the beginning of Kholat development our goal has been to deliver ambitious projects of high quality. In this matter nothing changes despite that we want to go even further. With a such talented and experienced team, we intend to create a truly sensational game. The project in a completely different than Kholat, much bigger and more powerful."

There is a countdown ticker on the official IMGN.PRO website [http://imgn.pro/countdown/] that marks the time that the official project announcement will be made, in just under 25 days.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh deary me, they're bringing out the motivational keywords. Time to look busy again.

OT: Does this mean they fell off the side of ProjectRed like a sentient tumour or that ProjectRed are now just Fools Theory?

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
Oh deary me, they're bringing out the motivational keywords. Time to look busy again.

OT: Does this mean they fell off the side of ProjectRed like a sentient tumour or that ProjectRed are now just Fools Theory?
I think they "fell off" like you described it.
At least, i would be very surprised if CDPR suddenly went:
"You know, now that we released our most successfull game by far and our name is currently on everyone's mind, let's open a new studio that nobody cares about! Genius!"

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
So were these big guys at CDPR, old guard, newbies, scrubs, what exactly? I'm a curious, since Witcher 3 is their most mainstream game, in sales and the game itself, by far. I really want to know the roles these guys played at CDPR.

Well, I'll be looking forward to seeing what they do. And if it ends up being a kickstarter, and the dev's name is Fool's Theory... well that'll be fun to watch.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Wasn't there another studio made by former CDPR guys, who started making some game which featured a world divided by the corpse of a dead god, or somesuch? I guess they went under?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010

As everyone here has asked, did they split off peacefully? Were they noteworthy members? Why wasn't CDPR interested in funding this?

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
As everyone here has asked, did they split off peacefully? Were they noteworthy members? Why wasn't CDPR interested in funding this?
If I had to guess, Witcher 3 went gold and virtually everyone not making patches or the expansions in Krakow are totally burned out from spending years making what might be "the biggest and best RPG ever". I could imagine a lot of staff seeing Cyberpunk on the horizon, and for it to have the same (or better) graphics and an even bigger world with more complex questing/player agency than Witcher 3, and saying "my God do I need to just chill for a bit and make a nice UE4 game that's pared back from the bleeding edge". Add in the multiple successes by AAA vets who left to make small passion projects the last couple of years, and there's some assurance that you're still putting food on the table.

That's the way I like to imagine it, at least.