Five Nights at Freddy's 4 Releases Early, Available Now

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Five Nights at Freddy's 4 Releases Early, Available Now

Five Nights at Freddy's 4 is now available on Steam, more than two weeks earlier than expected.

"This time, the terror has followed you home."

In this day and age, it isn't uncommon for release dates to be delayed...and then delayed again. It's much rarer to see a title show up weeks before its expected release date because the developer just can't wait. And yet here we are, able to play Five Nights at Freddy's 4 ahead of schedule. You can buy it now on Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/388090] for $7.99.

The title was previously slated for a Halloween release. Earlier this month, developer Scott Cawthon announced that the title would be available on August 8, the anniversary of the original Five Nights at Freddy's. Cawthon made the grand reveal via Steam announcement today.

"Ok, so as many of you already know, I'm bad with release dates. The game is finished. :)," Cawthon wrote [http://steamcommunity.com/games/388090/announcements/detail/125324016591117689]. "Enjoy!"

The post also acknowledges an issue with the full-screen option, which should be corrected before the end of the day.

You can read the game's synopsis below.

"In this last chapter of the Five Nights at Freddy's original story, you must once again defend yourself against Freddy Fazbear, Chica, Bonnie, Foxy, and even worse things that lurk in the shadows. Playing as a child whose role is yet unknown, you must safeguard yourself until 6am by watching the doors, as well as warding off unwanted creatures that may venture into your closet or onto the bed behind you."

"You have only a flashlight to protect yourself. It will scare away things that may be creeping at the far end of the hallways, but be careful, and listen. If something has crept too close, then shining lights in its eyes will be your end."

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Man, Cawthorn just loves releasing these things early.

MARKIPLIER! That's your cue!

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
and it was so ... that Matpat's email, message folder and youtube comments filled with ...

"FNAF 4 vid?"

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Watched Mark's video and the game just looks hard. Not scary or atmospheric. Just straight up difficult for no better reason than...because?
Dunno. This one seems to have been designed with YouTubers as the target audience.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Lunar Templar said:
and it was so ... that Matpat's email, message folder and youtube comments filled with ...

"FNAF 4 vid?"
Argh! You beat me to the joke!!!!!

But yes, I look forward to his video on this one. I do enjoy his Game Theories, but the Five Nights ones are the best to me.

Post Tenebrae Morte

Jun 6, 2011
Love these games, so I'm excited that it's arrived early. Some deride Scott and these games as cheap YouTube bait, but I see them as so much more, especially since I grew up going to chucky cheese as a child and all the fun I had, even though the animatronics were uncanny at times. While, yes, the game ultimately ends in jump scares, it is made so that the time between your success and failures are filled with both fright and excitement. No loud music to try and set the mood, but your fan and the movement of the animatronics. Not to mention, each installment plays differently in various ways though they do keep a base of "look at doors, avoid being caught by the animatronics".

What people need to realize is that, Scott found an excellent method of game creation that has proven to be lucrative, especially in this age of mass communication. Not only that. But he filled each installment with lore, weaving an interesting and captivating tale about the horrors of the past, and not only provided closure for the children, but may have even given the killer a reason behind his insanity. These aren't latge games, he's not charging 60, 40, or even 20 dollars for each game. He charges, at most, 8 dollars and, all four together, you can get for less than 35 bucks. For that 8 or so dollars, you get several hours of fun and atmosphere that is intriguing and begs you to explore more.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I'd like to remind everyone that is is the FOURTH GAME IN THIS SERIES IN 50 WEEKS! These games are being churned out twice as fast as EvE Online has expansions, four times as fast as triple A rushed games, 16 times as fast as GTA games, and so on and so forth. How the hell does a game manage to be this massively oversaturated and still sell?

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Downloading right now, I'm really anxious, and I mean both nervous and excited.
Nervous in a good way, these games are scary and I'm a big baby, not nervous about the quality.
I didn't even know it was up, a friend just messaged me that it was out and I was like "What?! To Steam!"
I was kind of looking forward to Halloween, I like waiting a little bit but whatever; Halloween, August 8th, flippin' today, I'll have my scary cake and eat it too.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Zontar said:
I'd like to remind everyone that is is the FOURTH GAME IN THIS SERIES IN 50 WEEKS! These games are being churned out twice as fast as EvE Online has expansions, four times as fast as triple A rushed games, 16 times as fast as GTA games, and so on and so forth. How the hell does a game manage to be this massively oversaturated and still sell?
The first one was good and managed to gain a serious cult following, seems simple enough

I notice that the manner in which he releases games seems to emulate something of a "jump scare" itself, you're just walking along when suddenly "ZOMGNEWGAME!!"

But seriously I kinda respect his philosophy, no sitting on a complete game until an arbitrary date, just letting it out into the wild as soon as it's done

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
I cannot wait until I see this series simply dissipate from the internet and all around, it's just too much now. 2 was the pushing point and 3 is when I stopped caring all together.

Scott, make something new that isn't FNAF related already..

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Zontar said:
I guess by that logic episodic games shouldn't be done?

I mean, really, at this point it's closer to episodic releases than "sequels". Maybe it'd feel less weird if they were renamed FNAF: Episodes 1, 2, 3 and 4?

That said, watching Markiplier's video of it, it's interesting. While mechanically not dissimilar, the feel of the gameplay is different. You have to actually go look and expose yourself to the danger rather than see it coming on the cameras.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I'd better see a new jumpscare sound as YouTubers play through the game more.

...What?

Silentpony said:
Watched Mark's video and the game just looks hard. Not scary or atmospheric. Just straight up difficult for no better reason than...because?
Dunno. This one seems to have been designed with YouTubers as the target audience.
This isn't really the first game to be that way. That was pretty much FNAF 2 in a nutshell. A hot mess of things you need to keep track of.

And seeing as the games are all based around a jumpscare payoff, it's no wonder it got so much publicity from YouTubers with big, shouty voices.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
...Wasn't this supposed to be set in the future? I don't remember the specifics, but the way I first heard about FNAF 4, it was due to be in a space-diner on the moon or some shit, you were supposed to be free to move around the restaurant freely, as though both your legs still worked. Something about everyone getting killed on night 1 while you hide, then they all turn their attention to you for the week. Also; futuristic blinky lights.

Now it's a little kid who cheated at one of the arcade games and used all the tickets on murderous toys? Seems like kind of a shift from the sales pitch I remember.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Lunar Templar said:

"FNAF 4 vid?"
Well, at least he can take comfort in the fact that, besides a few details, his theory about the previous games is not affected, meaning his big two-part video is still completely legit.

LaughingAtlas said:
...Wasn't this supposed to be set in the future?
No. The only "future" FNAF is the third, which - if memory serves - is set 2018 or so.

Areloch said:
I mean, really, at this point it's closer to episodic releases than "sequels". Maybe it'd feel less weird if they were renamed FNAF: Episodes 1, 2, 3 and 4?
Complete different mechanics for the "keep an eye on the electronics" thing disagree with the Episodic Release. The closest would be 2 and 3, but even they have serious key differences in how they work.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Everyone's talking about watching Mark play the game...well...I came here planning on saying that as well. >.>

So instead I'll just say I'll watch Jacksepticeye play it instead. Gotta love that Irish accent. =3

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
And here I am having to wait til my birthday to finally get one game in this series. The games look so goodddddddd and I love the fan spin offs

darthdenim

Jul 10, 2014
Of course the backstory stuff in this game makes the overall lore more confusing and nonsensical than it was before.

They're just making all this stuff up as they go.

There's no hidden meaning. It all means nothing.