TV's Hercules Star Lends His Voice to SMITE Namesake

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
TV's Hercules Star Lends His Voice to SMITE Namesake

To celebrate 10 million players, SMITE has announced a very special collaboration with the original Hercules actor.

Hercules: The Legendary Journeys was a made-for-TV drama featuring, well, the journey of Greek demi-god Hercules and his sidekick Iolaus. Somewhat overshadowed by its own spin-off: Xena: The Warrior Princess, the Hercules TV show is still fondly remembered by a generation of nerds. Feeding off that nostalgia is SMITE [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/smite] developer Hi-Rez Studios, who have just announced a special collaboration between the game and The Legendary Journeys' star, Kevin Sorbo, to lend his voice to his in-game namesake.

The promotion was announced to celebrate the game breaking the 10 million subscriber figure, and best of all, if you win 10 matches of the game during August, you'll receive the Hercules hero, the Kevin Sorbo voice pack, and the "Retro Hercules" skin absolutely free. Hooray!

Its a cool little cross-promotion that makes sense given the nature of the game. Here's fingers crossed that we see a playable "Xena" hero at some point down the line, voiced by Lucy Lawless!

Source: Hi-Rez Studios [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-56zD9zhGrc]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ha, that's pretty cool, although I have the herc mexican wrestler skin so Im not sure when I would use this one.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Loved the series Andromeda and think Keven did a great job as Dylan Hunt, haven't seen the Hercules series yet so might grab it now that I know about it.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Well, it wouldn't be the first time he lent his voice to a video game Heracles. He reprises the role of the famous demi-god in God of War 3 (until Kratos was done rearranging Herc's face).

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
Its a cool little cross-promotion that makes sense given the nature of the game. Here's fingers crossed that we see a playable "Xena" hero at some point down the line, voiced by Lucy Lawless!
Closest God to Xena is now Bellona, but she doesn't have Xena's Chakram Boomerang.

Also it's Gods, not heroes. :p

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
RicoADF said:
Loved the series Andromeda and think Keven did a great job as Dylan Hunt, haven't seen the Hercules series yet so might grab it now that I know about it.
DISAPPOINTED!

You'll find that very funny after you've watched a lot of Hercules (trust me).

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Of course HiRez had to pick The Sex, the bearded Canadian. Sadly, I doubt I'll gather the gems for that ticket or play enough to grind those 10K points...

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Auberon said:
Of course HiRez had to pick The Sex, the bearded Canadian. Sadly, I doubt I'll gather the gems for that ticket or play enough to grind those 10K points...
You didn't read the news.

You only need to win 10 matches in August:
-Free Hercules God
-Free Retro Skin
-Free Voice pack of Kevin Sorbo

Wuvlycuddles said:
RicoADF said:
DISAPPOINTED!

You'll find that very funny after you've watched a lot of Hercules (trust me).
That's actually his VVGT Voice command (Default, no VP voice will say: That's too Bad)
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1yO40mxwenC

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Kaimax said:
That's actually his VVGT Voice command (Default, no VP voice will say: That's too Bad)
Hahaha, that is too awesome. Glad he has a sense of humour about it.

FuzzyRaccoon

Sep 4, 2010
Kaimax said:
Steven Bogos said:
Closest God to Xena is now Bellona, but she doesn't have Xena's Chakram Boomerang.

I mean technically Hercules is only supposed to be a hero. Don't let the Disney movie fool you. So if they assigned him as a god they could just as arbitrarily make her one too.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
FuzzyRaccoon said:
Kaimax said:
Steven Bogos said:

I mean technically Hercules is only supposed to be a hero. Don't let the Disney movie fool you. So if they assigned him as a god they could just as arbitrarily make her one too.
Well, yeah, but even in the TV series, Hercules is a demigod (son of Zeus and a mortal mother)

Xena was never anything more than a mortal. (OK, well, she was for a while the favoured general of Ares, but still. Not a Goddess in her own right, or related to a god like hercules is.)

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm all for this, as I has happy when I heard his voice coming out of God of War III's version of Hercules.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
FuzzyRaccoon said:
Kaimax said:
Steven Bogos said:

My post was more pointing out that Characters in Smite are called "Gods" not "Heroes"(from LOL), not the actual status of Hercules himself as Demigod/Mortal whatever.

For example In Smite we have Sun Wukong and Guan Yu. Sun Wukong is just a Powerful Monkey, While Guan Yu was just a Mortal Warrior, but are called "Gods" in the game nonetheless. Also there's Scylla and Arachne, both are literally monsters.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Not the first time he voiced Hercules in a video game - he was also the VA for Hercules in God of War 3.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Wuvlycuddles said:
Kaimax said:
Hahaha, that is too awesome. Glad he has a sense of humour about it.
He actually claims that that was intentional, and that the "he read the stage directions" story is just an urban legend.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Shocksplicer said:
He actually claims that that was intentional, and that the "he read the stage directions" story is just an urban legend.
Intentional or not it is still an absolutely hilarious piece of unadulterated high quality free range ham.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Wuvlycuddles said:
Shocksplicer said:
Intentional or not it is still an absolutely hilarious piece of unadulterated high quality free range ham.
Oh yes. Nobody's denying that.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Halyah said:
Kaimax said:
FuzzyRaccoon said:
Kaimax said:
Steven Bogos said:

My post was more pointing out that Characters in Smite are called "Gods" not "Heroes"(from LOL), not the actual status of Hercules himself as Demigod/Mortal whatever.

For example In Smite we have Sun Wukong and Guan Yu. Sun Wukong is just a Powerful Monkey, While Guan Yu was just a Mortal Warrior, but are called "Gods" in the game nonetheless. Also there's Scylla and Arachne, both are literally monsters.
Didn't Hercules ascend to godhood after all the trials or somesuch though? And Guan Yu has been called god of war by people that came after him IIRC. Not disagreeing with you or anything mind you.
He did the trials because he wanted to be redeemed for killing his wife and kids after Hera made him go crazy.