Surprise! There Will be a New Battlefield Game Next Year

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Surprise! There Will be a New Battlefield Game Next Year

In news that should shock no-one, EA has announced a new Battlefield title for 2016.

In the most un-surprising news of the month, EA has let slip that a new Star Wars Battlefront [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/battlefield]. Next year, it's another Battlefield title."

EA games, following in supposed to come out last year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139734-Activision-Confirms-New-Call-of-Duty-From-Treyarch-in-2015], and if you count Battlefront as a Battlefield title (because it is), then we can see the yearly franchise start to emerge.

Hardline was met with mixed reviews, but so far the reception to Battlefront seems to be positive. Hopefully EA churning out a new game next year won't cause the quality to suffer too much.

As for where the game may be set, my fingers are crossed for a return to near-future universe of Battlefield: 2142 [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_2142].

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/30/new-battlefield-game-coming-in-2016?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social]

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
The reception to Battlefront has been positive?

I wouldn't have called much of the talk I've seen on the subject 'positive'. Not that there's REALLY enough revealed yet to properly judge either way.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Yeah, this isn't a shocker in the slightest.

What might make this more of a shocker would be if this were announced to be a new Bad Company game. It would still be a Battlefield announcement, but hey, it's Bad Company! We haven't heard from Redford and his boys in so damn long...[hr]If they wanted to make it genuinely shocking, they need to announce a new Medal Of Honor game, especially one that expands on Warfighter's weapon customization. Matter of fact, I'd go so far as to put said weapon customization in the game's single-player campaign mode, AND extend the customization to your secondary weapon. Even allow the selection of multiple different secondary weapons, with breaching shotguns, machine pistols, handguns and revolvers as possible choices. I can just imagine having to weigh the pros and cons of choosing a .45 caliber M1911 derivative(I.E. Kimber Warrior as used in Far Cry 3) vs. a .40 caliber S&W vs. a 9mm M9; and then having to choose what customization parts and camos I want on said sidearm.

In fact, go so far as to let the player choose their equipment loadouts for each single-player mission like in MoH: Airborne, then throw Warfighter's gun mods on top of that. How's it sounding so far?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Quick, Magic 8-Ball! What are the chances it will be almost exactly the same as the last one?

*Shake, Shake, Shake*

'Fucking DUH'. Hmm, didn't know it even had that on there.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States

Taking all bets now. Who will be at war with America this time? Russia, China, Iran or North Korea?

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
not surprising. i do hope that it isnt a DICE game, though, only because they are being spread thin as it is. EA has them operating in a manner similar to Bioware, but they have over 200 fewer employees.

i dont want DICE to be putting out a new shooter every other year and supporting it with DLC for the next year while also releasing an additional game AND assisting in development on other games like Hardline. its just too much, and it will be no surprise if their future games are delivered as broken messes. i dont want another Battlefield game from DICE unless it comes out in 2017 at the earliest.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Ahh. Surprise. Awe. Shock. Ooh. Yay.

And I'm so excited because I like, totally bought the last one and I- I-

-Ahhhhh, er, no, no, Battlefield...it's not you. I'm just tired, that's all. Nothing more to it than that, I promise.

You go on ahead. I'll probably be in the mood later or something. Ha ha. Haaa.
erttheking said:

Taking all bets now. Who will be at war with America this time? Russia, China, Iran or North Korea?
You sent me on a nearly forty minute pony clip binge.

I hope you're proud of yourself.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Burned Hand said:
The last decade has been defined by the talk and the sales figures being disconnected. People love to *****, but they love to play their games too.
I would beg to differ, BF3 is the best selling Battlefield game so far, not 4 and definitely not Hardline. After the release of BF3 the hype and sales curve has definitely been downward.

To quote Patrick Bach of DICE on annual Battlefield releases, "I think that would dilute the vision of the franchise, and you will eventually kill the franchise by doing that."

Now EA seems intent to prove him right. Speaking of which, I loved BF3, bought BF4, didn't buy BF Hardline, have limited interest in Battlefront and rolled my eyes at this. It's the Medal of Honor cycle repeating itself a decade later.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
but so far the reception to Battlefront seems to be positive.
Ummm, Steven? Is that you saying that or did you forget quotes around something an EA exec said? Because I'm quite certain that the internet is swimming with disappointment at best - and outright hate and anger at worst - for Battlefront considering the fact that every bit of news about it has been a "Nega-Announcement"...that is to say: all EA has done is announce features that WON'T be in the game that people WANT to be in the game.

Burned Hand said:
Thomas Barnsley said:
The reception to Battlefront has been positive?

I wouldn't have called much of the talk I've seen on the subject 'positive'. Not that there's REALLY enough revealed yet to properly judge either way.
The last decade has been defined by the talk and the sales figures being disconnected. People love to *****, but they love to play their games too.
Considering the fact that the game hasn't gone on sale yet, the talk is the only way to determine reception at this point.

OT: Yeah, I'm not surprised they announced a new Battlefield game for next year...mainly because they already announced their intended release schedule when they announced the release date for Battlefront.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
Now what confuses me is why they bother with naming them these days, why not just call it "Battlefield 2016: now with updated user interface and a wide receiver mode" and be done with it.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
so next year a new BF game and also mirrors edge 2, which is made form the same company? which version will be better? ME or BF? better be good on pc. i gave up now on MP titles. im really looking forward to ME2 and i hope so much that it wont suck on pc after reading this message.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
And it probably still wont have a server browser. Yearly iterations and they can't even get the most basic of things into the game, opting instead to push their mess of a website which would be nice as a companion to the game but not as an integral part of it. All they have to do is drop dedicated servers and they will officially be worse than Activision.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Uhhh.... No. Just o. I loved BF3 and Bad Company 2, although Bad Company was leagues better than everything BF3 did, much more engaging campaign, better graphics, better destructo environment, better multiplayer, better singleplayer, better everything.

BF4 was a piece of crap weighing itself down with useless features and gun mods (Seriously the campaign give yous no control over your weapon mods, I took the first weapon with iron sights and ran with it instead of the hybrid mod shit)

And Battle field Hard line was while interesting, even worse than BF4.

I'm not buying your next game unless it had BF BC3 on it. And I'm certainly not buying battlefront until i see some hard cold reviews and gameplay footage and how much the DLC will cost, it better be fucking free DLC EA, and it should have AT LEAST as many maps as Battlefront 2 on launch.

EDIT: Drop america entirely, instead go for something new. NO america, no russia, no china. Maybe do a fictional world where you play as one side fighting an alien species in a planet hopping campaign with at least 10 hours of single player gameplay, large map variety, and no microtransactions.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
erttheking said:

Australia. And they will all have heavy accents. And at some point a kangaroo will make an appearence for a QTE. And that qte will spark outrage and controversy.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
erttheking said:

Everyone.
If they would make a game where USA has become totalitarian state and you fight against united offensive of rest of the world, it could be interesting, but they don't have guts to pull something like this off.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
JustAnotherAardvark said:
erttheking said:
Texas.

The last time I really enjoyed a BF title was 2142.
[brofist]
Titan was amazing
Hopefully one day there will be sequel to 2142